Author Topic: My suggestion to the Daily Politics  (Read 1789 times)

JLR2

My suggestion to the Daily Politics
« on: 12 May 2015 12:23PM »
''A better question for today’s quiz would be, ‘’to which political party does Alan Milburn belong?’’

I’d swear it was the Conservative Party, does he know?''

lostfamily

• Gold Member
Re: My suggestion to the Daily Politics
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2015 03:46PM »
Didn't see the program today but here the google link when i put the question in

https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=+%E2%80%98%E2%80%99to+which+political+party+does+Alan+Milburn+belong%3F%E2%80%99&oq=+%E2%80%98%E2%80%99to+which+political+party+does+Alan+Milburn+belong%3F%E2%80%99&gs_l=hp.12...2742.2742.0.4204.2.2.0.0.0.0.626.693.1j5-1.2.0.msedr...0...1c.2.64.hp..2.0.0.0.VDdgr3YUi64

''A better question for today’s quiz would be, ‘’to which political party does Alan Milburn belong?’’

I’d swear it was the Conservative Party, does he know?''

Sunshine

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2015 05:13PM »
Here is the BBC iPlayer link to the episode Alan Milburn was in http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05vt26m/daily-politics-12052015

The interview starts 4 minutes,

- welfare reform increased social mobility  >yikes<
- a victory over Labour by default
- childcare helps in the fight against child poverty.
- home ownership  etc.

He does sound like a Conservative.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/27/labour-pale-imitation-1992-election-campaign-nhs-milburn article from January 2015

Milburn, a close ally of Tony Blair, said: “You’ve got a pale imitation actually of the 1992 general election campaign – maybe it will have the same outcome, I don’t know. But it would be a fatal mistake for Labour to go into this election looking as though it is the party that would better resource the NHS but not necessarily put its foot to the floor when it comes to reforming it.”

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015 05:25PM »
He does sound like a Conservative.

He always did.

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2015 09:06PM »
Listening to Milburn it is understandable why Labour lost the election, there simply isn't anything between the two, Tory and Labour. Labour have allowed the thought that they could be looked on again as the party of the welfare state with all the negative connotations that would suggest in the minds of undecided voters, that along with the shame they seem to have in their being in the main Union funded.

How does that expression go, och aye , 'grow a pair'  Labour need to, they need to find their courage to stand up for what they believe in without having the Tory press cow them into submission.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2015 01:29AM »
Listening to Milburn it is understandable why Labour lost the election, there simply isn't anything between the two, Tory and Labour.

No, there's just no difference between Alan Milburn and the Torys.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2015 02:49PM »
Sorry JLR, have just realised that the above reply comes across as a lot more terse than intended.  >hugs<

I'm just getting a little fed up with the likes of Milburn, Mandelson et al, castigating Labour for a defeat they themselves contributed to. Right-wingers like this helped foster the impression that Labour is little different to their main opponents, when there were very significant differences between each party's manifesto, as we're all about to find out.

It was the right-wingers, and their inability to get past the fact that their preferred candidate didn't win the leadership contest, that helped to create the 'wrong brother' meme which caused so much damage, desipte it being very unlikely David Miliband would have fared any better. He shared an upbringing and educational background with his younger brother, and what's more, was associated with all that dodgy business surrounding extraordinary rendition during his time as Foreign Secretary. During the early stages of the new leadership, more time was wasted in dealing with ther sniping and counter-briefings than was spent actually opposing the Tories, which in turn allowed all the lies that party spun about overspnding causing the deficit etc, to gain traction, as well as generating endless 'Labour party crisis' headlines.

Now they're swanning round tv studios, lending credibility to a government with a paper-thin majority delivered by just under a quarter of the electorate, and talking of 'lurching too far to the left' as though it's 1983 all over again.

Those fellahs should have been told to get stuffed a long time ago.  >angry<

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2015 03:46PM »
NN, nae problem I got what you were driving at in your earlier posting. David Miliband would have faced the same problem, a would be Chancellor by the name of Balls. Sadly given Mr Balls could do nothing about his birth name it was all to easy a target for a daft press and media that just couldn't get over his name and deal with the serious issues facing the country.