Author Topic: Silly Little Accidents  (Read 962 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Silly Little Accidents
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2022 02:09PM »
As a child,  I had parents who  never seemed to believe much of what I said about health, and that was coupled with unrealistic demands on me in terms of achievement, which I believe is why I've got the dreadful, unremitting urge to explain, starting out as a child trying to justify not always getting top marks at school.

I had what's now, I think, usually called glue ear and by late primary school struggled to hear in class and was mocked by others for my nasilised speech.  I characterise my mother's response thus "Did you hear what I said?"  "No, Mum."  "Don't give me lip."

It wasn't taken seriously until my end of year exam results came through for second year secondary school (age 13).  My father was initially angry, then puzzled. Why had I done so badly on two particular subjects.  "Because the teacher makes us sit in alphabetical order and I've got my completely deaf ear to the front of the room."  I was taken to the GP who confirmed I was deaf. 

(Ironically when later I developed deafness for a different reason, having grown up with hearing problems gave me a useful head start on handling it.)

I've just been posting something on another forum, relating to crying.  The UK is weird about expression of emotion, feelings etc.   Mental health services always seem to me to be catch 22.  Insisting there's something wrong with you, telling you they're there to help you, then labelling you as attention-seeking or manipulative or time-wasting if you dare to ask for help when it's not convenient.

Daft.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2022 07:21PM »
I do hope you haven't done any major damage to your toe. My eyes are watering in sympathy  :f_wah:  :f_hug:

Co-Codamol helps, plus I had my 5th Covid jab today, (The combined one.) and I have been told to take it easy for a couple of days. I am also getting my flu jab next Thursday.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2022 10:19PM »
I'm telling myself off now.  I came across a reference elsewhere to boosters being available, rummaged around and found a local supermarket car park booster van online.  I meant to go there and put it off a couple of days, only to realise that it only stays in each car park for a short while (a week maybe?)  There's a building where they do jabs but I've put it off two days now.

I don't dislike jabs, I'm just struggling with my depression and having difficulty doing things. 

Oh well, next week.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)