• Access All Areas
Re: Dogs
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2022 12:58PM »

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2022 12:40AM »
I wanted to share the couch joke with neighbours, but I don't have a smartphone and couldn't work out how to email an image off here.  However, I found a description of it got a smile.  We were in their living room.  Husband, wife, dog.  I told them the caption and a general description of the picture, finishing with a pointed look and "And you can guess which one was on the floor."  I was pleased the husband seemed to get a genuine laugh out of it as well as the wife. 

That mattered because they're lovely neighbours and I struggle to say thank you to them for things.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2022 09:59AM »
Sea rescue dogs:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 Sep 2022 08:09PM »
Dogs rescue people at sea?  They've just climbed up in my affection ratings.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #6 on: 09 Sep 2022 08:37PM »
Dogs rescue people at sea?  They've just climbed up in my affection ratings.

They are trained to do so. They are usually but not exclusively Newfoundlands.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 09 Sep 2022 10:54PM »
Dogs are wonderful animals.  I just wish there weren't so many owners of dogs that don't train them properly.  It's like when dogs bite/attack, the usual response is that they've never done that before.  It's probably almost always true.  But if you breed an animal for centuries to be a working animal, that functions as part of a tribe, that defends the tribe leader (usually human) etc., is it any surprise that if they think someone is a threat, they'll react to defend the tribe? 

So I love seeing trained working dogs.

Contrast - today I was out for a walk.  I saw someone with a dog meet three other people and the dog leapt up at them.  Cuddle, cuddle.  As I walked past on the other side of the person with the slack long leash, the dog turned and leapt at me.  Someone called out apologies as they pulled the dog back.  It was too late, I'd leapt out into the road into the path of oncoming traffic and narrowly avoided being run over. 

I was attacked by two dogs as a child.  In neither case was I misbehaving or messing around.  That hasn't stopped me dog-sitting for neighbours but it's left me jumpy.

So when I see a dog who's been trained to do a job, to support and protect others, which is what dogs have been bred to want to do, I love it.  The reminder to maintain my stance of annoyance with owners not dogs if a dog chases me or leaps up at me.  Dogs deserve to know what they should be doing and to be trained to perform their role.

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2022 09:51AM »

So when I see a dog who's been trained to do a job, to support and protect others, which is what dogs have been bred to want to do, I love it.  The reminder to maintain my stance of annoyance with owners not dogs if a dog chases me or leaps up at me.  Dogs deserve to know what they should be doing and to be trained to perform their role.

This may interest you, (it is in french but still worth a watch.) Video of sea rescue dogs:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ickFxHmIVE

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2022 12:26PM »
Lankou those dogs are incredible. The hours of training that must have taken and the dedication of the trainers is to be applauded.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2022 05:00PM »
Vraiment étonnant (mais j'avoue que j'ai utilisé les sous-titres parce que le francais que je parle et comprends, c'est le francais de ma jeunesse, presque tout a fait oublié.  (Et comment est-ce qu'on fait un 'a' avec un accent grave avec un English keyboard?  Il me faut aussi apprendre le francais pour aargh.)

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2022 06:02PM »
Vraiment étonnant (mais j'avoue que j'ai utilisé les sous-titres parce que le francais que je parle et comprends, c'est le francais de ma jeunesse, presque tout a fait oublié.  (Et comment est-ce qu'on fait un 'a' avec un accent grave avec un English keyboard?  Il me faut aussi apprendre le francais pour aargh.)

Parlez lentement s’il vous plaît mon français est très cassé.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2022 02:16PM »
 :f_laugh: :f_laugh: :f_laugh:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2022 01:29PM »
Benji has been unwell for a couple of months.
He's been vomiting off and on, diarrhoea, not eating, and really not himself. We took him to the vets the beginning of August and they thought he had caught a virus that was doing the rounds and gave him an antiemetic which perked him up for a week or so.

Then he started vomiting again. We tried tempting him to eat with all his favourite foods, buying so many different brands and even cooking meals from scratch for him that just ended up being eaten by the foxes.
And Benji was getting thinner and thinner. Further trips to the vets couldn't find anything wrong until last week he refused any sort of food whatsoever and was barely drinking over the bank holiday weekend that we got him straight into the vets on the Tuesday morning.

The vet was very thorough, took some blood, and it turns out Benji has pancreatitis. Poor thing, no wonder he was feeling so miserable.
So now we're navigating our way through a low fat diet for Benji! Out go some of his favourite treats and we need  to find a complete food brand he likes that is also low enough in fat for him for the long term.
Fortunately he seems to be recovering from this attack of pancreatitis and we are trying hard to prevent further flare ups.

The last couple of days he's bounced back to his old self and I'm so relieved. We both thought that we were going to lose him and I'll feel better when he starts putting weight back on. He's 11 now which is a good age for a Basset Hound but I like to think he's got a bit more life in him yet :heart:

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2022 04:54PM »
Poor Benji - it really is a worry when our animal companions are unwell, though it sounds like he might be over the worst of his illness  :xfingers:   Good luck with the more complicated dietary regime, will this be rather expensive?