Author Topic: Just had my 4th Covid vaccination.  (Read 439 times)

lankou

• Access All Areas
Just had my 4th Covid vaccination.
« on: 24 Mar 2022 10:33AM »
Mobile vaccination unit on the village green at 09.30 hours, I was first in the queue.  4 jab Pfizer.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Just had my 4th Covid vaccination.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2022 11:04AM »
Huh, jealous!

(And pleased you're reducing your likelihood of getting coviddydeaded.)
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2022 11:34AM »
My six months comes up at the end of April though I am unsure if people in group 4 are people they are targeting in this 4th vaccine. I'm unsure at the moment whether I will take up the offer if I am offered it. It doesn't stop you catching Covid and there's no evidence that you get it more mildly, it might be that the virus is weakening. But I don't believe the vaccine is harmful so whatever, it may be wise to accept it if offered.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2022 03:20PM »
You may choose not to believe the evidence, just as a judge may choose not to believe evidence presented to him at a trial, but that is different from saying that there is no evidence.

Likewise, you are free to disagree with the validity of the methodology of a particular piece of research and/or to disagree with the conclusions drawn by the researchers and peer-reviewers of each piece of research, but that is a different matter from saying that there is no evidence.

There is evidence from multiple studies that a booster vaccine for sars-cov-2 can lead to milder symptoms.  That does not mean that it will do so for everyone or that  it would do so for a degree that would make it worth having for everyone or that it would be recommended for everyone.  But it does not mean that there is no evidence.  And, as I say, you can choose which piece of research to believe or disbelieve. 

Some of the research:-

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n3105

(This article is particularly helpful in distinguishing between pre-prints and published,  i.e. peer-reviewed, research.)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/monitoring-reports-of-the-effectiveness-of-covid-19-vaccination

(Less helpful in terms of clearly citing researchers, but clear in naming the relevant studies, which can then be looked up to see whether you agree with their methodology.)

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e3.htm

(A meta-analysis of the research showing very clearly the identities and affiliations of the professionals/academics that made the analysis.)

https://www.salon.com/2022/03/22/fourth-vaccine-dose/

(An article not official publication, but offering opinions not just as to the likely benefits but who is thought to benefit more or less, citing relevant research.)
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2022 07:08AM »
I was quoting a government scientific advisor on the news this week who was saying that because the virus has evolved so much it is unknown whether the vaccines we've been using are effective on current variants. He said that it appears having the vaccines is not preventing people getting Covid and it's not possible to say whether people are getting it more mildly because of the vaccines or whether the virus is weakening. I can't remember who he was and can't quote studies but thought his comments interesting. Several vaccine manufacturers are working on new vaccines for the variants.