Author Topic: 'Limping' as positive - compensating  (Read 958 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
'Limping' as positive - compensating
« on: 25 Jan 2022 02:53PM »
Something I may have mentioned recently and I know I say it to others is how a few years back it suddenly dawned on me that we see limping the wrong way round.  We focus on what's negative about the bit of the body that isn't working normally, not how wonderful it is the way other parts of the body compensate for it.  I know that in the days when I used to run, one of my legs used to seriously compensate for the other, permanently injured in an accident.

The penny dropped on that after someone told me I think too much and I realised that it's a pet hate of mine when people tell me that, using a variety of terms such as over-thinking, over-analysing etc.

I began to realise how much for me, analysing or consciously thinking about things that others might do automatically is compensating for past 'mis-thinking'.  I became focussed (again, perhaps 'wrongly') on my own mis-thinking based on cultural norms and upbringing before realising how common it is and how denied it is.

I'm not talking about 'wrong' conclusions, and I'm not talking about 'news' and 'events' etc.  I'm talking about everyday cultural assumptions.  My usual example of something that plagued me is the stock phrase "Ignore the bullies and they'll go away."  But "Can't you take a joke?" bullies don't, and the general acceptance of the bog standard advice leads to victim-blaming the person being bullied, who's in a no-win situation.

Yet becoming consciously aware of that and consciously developing techniques for dealing with it could be seen as 'positive limping'./

I wonder what else we do that could be seen as 'positive limping'. 

Not just how we use our bodies and minds differently but also our equipment.  Maybe seeing using a mobility aid such as a walking stick or wheelchair not as a 'disability thing' but as the equivalent of a climbing axe or wheelbarrow or sturdy walking shoes.  I love seeing snazzy wheelchairs and walking sticks.

Again, on equipment, I've shared a moan with many other deafies, particular older ones, about modern hearing aids.  We talk about how when we were kids back in the dark ages, there was a phrase  "Boys don't make passes at girls that wear glasses."  I haven't read that said anywhere for a long time. 

But I remember how it was picked up on by contact lens sellers to sell their products.  Then I remember very bright plastic-rimmed metal glasses in the eighties.  Who now would hesitate to wear very noticeable glasses lest the boys/girls would see them as ugly?

But hearing aids.  Oh dear.  They're supposed to be tiny.  Wonderful.  You can fumble with them.  You can drop them and lose them easily.  I had a couple of pairs where I couldn't actually insert them without actually changing all the settings.  Beep, beep, beep.  I long for the old ones I wore years ago, with a big volume dial.  And as for putting the batteries in, aargh.

But imagine if we saw hearing aids not as indicators of what's wrong with the hearing but as snazzy must-have show-off gadgets or accessories.  What if the NHS, instead of offering brown & grey (to match and hide behind hair), they offered grown-ups (not just children) bright colours?  Big "Look at what I've got!" show-off hearing aids?

I think we're maybe heading that way with the sort of hearing aids that are linked to smartphones.  I've come across people using their phone earpieces as some sort of hearing aids, though not being a smartphone user, I'm not familiar with the technology.  But why couldn't something be as noticeable and sometimes brightly coloured as some phone/computer ear thingies be the sort of thing we see hearing aids like in the future?

So what 'limping' thought patterns, behaviours, body movements, equipment etc. would you like people to see as "Wow!" not "Oh dear, defective"?
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2022 07:32PM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Access All Areas
Re: 'Limping' as positive - compensating
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2022 04:28PM »
It was a very long time before I understood the joke about a form of contraception for men is a bit of wood in one shoe because it makes you limp.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2022 07:33PM »
 :f_yikes: :f_laugh:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2022 01:41PM »
I love this and if only some of the people I ask for help would get that I am asking for help to do something and not asking the people to do everything from start to finish.

Positive limping means over the years I have figured out how to do all sorts of things and I fail to understand why I sometimes have to fully explain how I am approaching the task in hand only to be told I am wrong. People have also told me I think too much but experience has shown me that at least some of those people who persuaded me that this was true have diminished a super power I once had.

As to the glasses thing it took me back to the time when NHS glasses could look like poverty and weakness on a child's face. It is amazing that these days we have some people wearing glasses as an accessory with plain glass because they don't need them to read. I do need to wear reading glasses these days and got around to going to the opticians, I have a little face so chose my glasses from the children's section  :f_smiley: [size=78%] [/size]

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2022 03:31PM »
Something that I only realised that lots of people might be surprised by was that in my early days as a soldier, I had two pairs of glasses, distance and reading.  So what?  Well, they were big round glasses with coloured frames, one red, one black.  Each had a matching cord to hang them off, so I could quickly switch glasses and know which was which.

For the avoidance of doubt, that was when wearing my army uniform. 

Later, I no longer did that, having first bifocals then varifocals, but then started wearing hearing aids in uniform.  The big, old, baby pink ones.

I wonder whether today's soldiers can do that?

Meanwhile, I like the idea of buying children's glasses.  If they suited me size-wise, I'd love to have two pairs, a 'serious pair' and, if they do them, a 'silly pair'.  I bet you can get pink sparkly ones. 

As for the asking for help thing, always tricky. 

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #5 on: 09 Feb 2022 09:43AM »
I like the idea of wearing children's glasses as I have a small face too. Why didn't I think of that  :f_doh:
I'll have to remember this when I need to change my glasses next time round. Truly inspired idea!

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2022 01:48PM »
On a light note on choosing frames - the optician I'm currently using has the sort of displays where the walls are covered in grids of fashionable frames.  Pretty standard way of doing it.  But if you want the plain, cheapo ones, they're in the drawers below the counter, and not in trays, just in a tangled mass.  You're allowed to try them on in the mirror, and you're not treated sneerily or anything if you want them, they're just not displayed the way the expensive ones are.  Indeed, I think the way they do it is probably deliberately intended to appeal to people who have a sense they want what they might conceptualise as down to earth practical economy frames not overpriced fancy frames.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2022 07:18PM »
Hello SunShine Medow's

About people starting a job + before you know it they act like life long Personal Assitent's it is they think if a job is worth doing give it all you've got. (I wonder if they are trying to boost their own little ego)