Author Topic: Disability on Strictly come Dancing and other reality shows  (Read 722 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Disability on Strictly come Dancing and other reality shows
« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2021 07:26PM »
Thankfully it's a very light hearted show, I like watching it in the morning, it starts the day on a cheery note. I'd be okay with the tasks to do with live snakes, rats and insects but would be hopeless at bushtucker trials where you have to eat revolting things. Anything slimey and I'd be sick and I am phobic about being sick so I suspect that I would veto the task and take no stars back to camp and everyone would go hungry. That will make sense when you watch the show sunny!

On the edge

• Marmite 5050
  • Diamond member
Re: Disability on Strictly come Dancing
« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2021 10:47AM »
?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2021 12:48PM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2021 02:08PM »
Sorry, mixed up.  Thought the rats, snakes and insects were the bushtucker.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2021 03:09PM »
Naughty boy is being slated for his lack of effort at the trial. He's obviously totally unaware that if you are hopeless at a trial the public are likely to vote for you to do the next trial! The only way to get out of being voted to do them is to be good at them or be really nice and likeable. It does have some funny moments  :f_laugh:

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: 26 Nov 2021 09:21PM »
He tried his best, you know  :f_whistle:

I liked Kadeena getting a bit sharp with him over the cooking in the Great Hall - note how he flounced off to bed after that?  He's becoming really irritating to me.  One of those 'prickly' people quick to take umbrage - I thought the other campmates were being really tolerant with him initially, but patience has to run out some time!

Sad about Richard Madeley having to leave for health reasons, though - he's really disappointed, apparently.   So someone else will take his place?  That could be interesting...

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: 26 Nov 2021 09:24PM »

Well, in former shows they used to have to eat live witchetty grubs, biting the head off first  :f_yikes:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: 26 Nov 2021 09:47PM »

Well, in former shows they used to have to eat live witchetty grubs, biting the head off first  :f_yikes:

And I'm being advised by Ouchers to watch this show/series?  Eek!

I think I've just realised I have a disability - aversion to animal products I can't pretend weren't once living creatures.  Are there episodes that make 'reasonable adjustments' for that by ensuring the bush tucker is vegan?

Gosh, I'm in a mischievous mood.  I wonder what sorts of disabled contestants they could introduce?  I have a mental picture of someone with the sort of shortened arms I associate with classic thalidomide development,  being told to hold a small creature and eat it.

Someone severely visually impaired told to eat something that won't stay still.

Someone tube fed making some sort of puree out of creepy crawlies.

Ok, I'm a bit dotty, but in all seriousness, what I'd like to see in more television programmes is an opportunity to laugh with people over their impairments.  Not to laugh at them for being disabled, but to enjoy the funny side of it.  I think that's why I enjoy the Last Leg.

But I make that as a general point not having watched this programme/series.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: 26 Nov 2021 11:07PM »
Last year a contestant had to inject several times a day and couldn't get out of bed for a while until the injection worked. I can't remember what their condition was but campmates naturally made reasonable adjustments for them only expecting them to do what they could do which wasn't an equal share of the chores. Every year it's possible to see the good in humanity in the camp and sometimes not so good in people. I've just seen Richard Madely's recorded goodbye to his campmates, it was really moving, he seems a really nice guy. You get to know the real people behind the faces of celebrities in this show. When they're "in the world" you never know if what you are seeing is the real them because most of us put on a face to the world but with cameras on you 24/7 capturing your every word, snore and bogey pick, your real you is there to see. I'm excited to watch this evening's show when I get up tomorrow, the excitement isn't helping me sleep  :f_laugh:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: 27 Nov 2021 02:21PM »
I met up with my friend yesterday and she's watching Strictly avidly. She thinks Rose is the best celeb dancer and thinks she'll win. It will be interesting to see. Absolutely awesome that someone with no hearing at all can be the best dancer out of all the non professional dancers when music is widely considered to be a key element. And that shows the world so much about disability. I love it. I haven't seen any of the other dancers so I have no view as to whether she will win but her dancing is awesome. I hope she continues dancing after the show ends because she's clearly discovered that she loves it.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2021 07:44AM »
Sunny, the great news is ITV has put a hold on the I'm a Celeb shows for Friday, Saturday and Sunday so that you can catch up 😀

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: 28 Nov 2021 11:20AM »
Catch up?  They've been running it for years - there's probably hundreds to watch!

That aside, my attention is so poor that there's not much I watch of anything uninterrupted for more than a few minutes.  Seriously.

But I shall have a bash at watching some of it.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: 28 Nov 2021 12:29PM »
Yes I was on meaning this year's! The starting show from Sunday is a long one being one hour and forty minutes, Monday to Thursday shows were much shorter. I tend to play sudoku on my phone with the TV on so I have half an ear on the programme and half my brain on sudoku when I can't concentrate and I'm a Celeb is definitely a programme where you can do other things while it's on. But I totally get that it's not everybody's thing. I can't remember how many years it had been going before I started watching it, several. I don't like reality TV normally and it was a surprise to enjoy it. It's been a definite escapism last year and this, much needed during the pandemic for me.
Hopefully it will be back on tomorrow evening. I can't believe the British weather has been so bad that they couldn't film.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: 28 Nov 2021 03:27PM »
Seriously, I shall want to watch some programmes just out of curiosity. 

That being said, whilst discussing all this, I realised I haven't a clue what a lot of well known programmes are like and even what some are about.  I could do with getting to know more.

Incidentally, on the topic of who's on programmes, an MP recently got a bit agitated about women playing roles that were traditionally male roles, such as Dr Who.  He said that leaves men with just bad role models so is it any wonder they turn to crime.  I found myself wondering whether we women should explain to men how we've mostly managed not to turn to crime when most of the heroic role models have been male.

I wonder whether there are people who'd think that if there are too many disabled people in starring roles in drama, that discourages non-disabled people?  Surely disabled people, particularly visibly disabled people, are supposed to appear in special reality shows once or twice a year doing 'heroic' things, then go away again?

(Don't worry, I do know that lots of people are seriously chilled about having women in traditional male roles, and disabled people in traditional non-disabled roles etc.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: 28 Nov 2021 04:36PM »
Wowsers to that MP's comments! Though I know a few unhappy Dr Who fans not happy about a female Dr! People really don't like change. One of the funny things about being a regular church goer is seeing how people gravitate to the same seats each week and seeing the hesitation and indecision about what to do if they arrive to find someone in "their" seats 😅

Last night's dance, honestly, you'd never know that Rose has no hearing at all https://youtu.be/jiIccalATC4