Author Topic: Energy crisis  (Read 92 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Energy crisis
« on: 13 Oct 2021 06:57PM »
Pure planet have just announced that they have ceased trading. I'd switched to them a few months back because their fixed rate came out cheapest on the mse comparison site. So I will lose the good rate I signed up for and carefully chose as being best for my needs, as a low energy user it is best to use a firm that has low standing daily charges and charges more per unit of energy than the other way around. Now I will be handed over to another firm that might have a totally unhelpful charging package for the amount of energy I use.

Also, I had applied for this winter's warm home discount but it's not been processed. What's the betting I miss the boat on whichever firm I am handed to and can't get the warm home discount this year? That makes a massive difference to how free I feel to heat my home on the very cold days.

What a mess this energy crisis is!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Energy crisis
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2021 07:13PM »
I'm just ranty over fuel overall.

A few years back, I switched to Ebico.  I liked the fact that they had what I considered to be an ethical way of charging - the same rate per unit/therm, no matter how you paid.  Since I didn't have a prepay meter, it wasn't me that benefitted most, although some firms would charge me more than the cheapest because I didn't pay direct debit.

They were partnered with SSE and I liked the service.  Then Ebico said SSE were trying to poach their customers and moved us to Robin Hood.  It was a nightmare of rubbish information.  It wasn't as good a deal, wasn't as convenient to pay etc.  With Ebico + SSE, I'd had cards I could pre-load but RH didn't do those.

Then it turned out that SSE weren't trying to poach their customers.  The government started requiring energy companies to tell customers what their cheapest package was, and since Ebico were supplying SSE energy under a white label agreement, SSE was just doing what the law required.

I didn't like being with RH, then they went bust.  Ebico said they were transferring me to British Gas.  I said no, I'm going to Octopus. RH blocked my transfer on the basis of an unpaid electricity bill, and when I managed to get the message across that I'd got proof in the form of a stamped bill and receipt from the post office that it had been paid before they blocked the transfer, they withdrew the block...and blocked the gas instead...which had been paid for at the same time as the electricity.

For a while after I managed to transfer, they were chasing me with debt collectors for a bill I'd paid.  To begin with, I thought I was just getting scam calls until I checked the number and phoned Robin Hood.

Octopus looks like it may survive this and word is that it's buying up other companies, but who knows?

I'm sitting here with a fan heater on, thinking of all the times in my life when I've been cold, and my  heart goes out to all those that are cold.  I can go all nostalgic about how when I was a child, we had ice on the inside of the bedroom windows because the bedrooms were unheated, there were just a couple of downstairs fireplaces heated by coal etc., etc.  But the chillblains were no fun, and "My generation put up with it" is no reason for thinking it's ok for people today. 

Besides, Dad may have left me his money, but what you can gain, you can lose.  Tomorrow, it might be me again that's cold.  Hugs, Fiz, and anyone else that needs it.

:f_hug:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)