Author Topic: Energy crisis  (Read 364 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Energy crisis
« on: 13 Oct 2021 06:57PM »
Pure planet have just announced that they have ceased trading. I'd switched to them a few months back because their fixed rate came out cheapest on the mse comparison site. So I will lose the good rate I signed up for and carefully chose as being best for my needs, as a low energy user it is best to use a firm that has low standing daily charges and charges more per unit of energy than the other way around. Now I will be handed over to another firm that might have a totally unhelpful charging package for the amount of energy I use.

Also, I had applied for this winter's warm home discount but it's not been processed. What's the betting I miss the boat on whichever firm I am handed to and can't get the warm home discount this year? That makes a massive difference to how free I feel to heat my home on the very cold days.

What a mess this energy crisis is!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Energy crisis
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2021 07:13PM »
I'm just ranty over fuel overall.

A few years back, I switched to Ebico.  I liked the fact that they had what I considered to be an ethical way of charging - the same rate per unit/therm, no matter how you paid.  Since I didn't have a prepay meter, it wasn't me that benefitted most, although some firms would charge me more than the cheapest because I didn't pay direct debit.

They were partnered with SSE and I liked the service.  Then Ebico said SSE were trying to poach their customers and moved us to Robin Hood.  It was a nightmare of rubbish information.  It wasn't as good a deal, wasn't as convenient to pay etc.  With Ebico + SSE, I'd had cards I could pre-load but RH didn't do those.

Then it turned out that SSE weren't trying to poach their customers.  The government started requiring energy companies to tell customers what their cheapest package was, and since Ebico were supplying SSE energy under a white label agreement, SSE was just doing what the law required.

I didn't like being with RH, then they went bust.  Ebico said they were transferring me to British Gas.  I said no, I'm going to Octopus. RH blocked my transfer on the basis of an unpaid electricity bill, and when I managed to get the message across that I'd got proof in the form of a stamped bill and receipt from the post office that it had been paid before they blocked the transfer, they withdrew the block...and blocked the gas instead...which had been paid for at the same time as the electricity.

For a while after I managed to transfer, they were chasing me with debt collectors for a bill I'd paid.  To begin with, I thought I was just getting scam calls until I checked the number and phoned Robin Hood.

Octopus looks like it may survive this and word is that it's buying up other companies, but who knows?

I'm sitting here with a fan heater on, thinking of all the times in my life when I've been cold, and my  heart goes out to all those that are cold.  I can go all nostalgic about how when I was a child, we had ice on the inside of the bedroom windows because the bedrooms were unheated, there were just a couple of downstairs fireplaces heated by coal etc., etc.  But the chillblains were no fun, and "My generation put up with it" is no reason for thinking it's ok for people today. 

Besides, Dad may have left me his money, but what you can gain, you can lose.  Tomorrow, it might be me again that's cold.  Hugs, Fiz, and anyone else that needs it.

:f_hug:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2021 06:10PM »
I have found the new tarrif for Shell energy variable 6 and as suspected my previous price per kWh gas was 15p and with shell it will be 26p both rounded down. Also the daily standing charge for gas with pure planet was about £55 a year but with shell it will be almost £98. That's £98 without even using any gas.

I don't think it's affordable for me and I am seriously considering asking shell energy to remove my gas meter and cap the supply so I am not charged the standing charge and can't use gas. I have only used the gas heating myself if the temperature drops below freezing or I have family staying so the standing charges are a lot for a few days use each year. So I think I will move to just electricity once the switch is complete. The government caps what companies can charge per kWh energy but it appears energy companies can charge what they like for daily standing charges for both electricity and for gas and those prices have almost doubled. Martin Lewis doesn't seem to have picked up on this loophole.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2021 07:09PM »
It depends which tariff you're using how the caps work.

Ofgem -

The price cap limits the rates a supplier can charge for their default tariffs. These include the standing charge and price for each kWh of electricity and gas (the units your bill is calculated from).
Ofgem sets the cap level for summer and winter based on the underlying costs to supply energy. This keeps prices fair and makes sure suppliers reflect any drops in costs in your rates.
Link for more details
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you
But whichever tariff you're on, and however the caps work, the increases in fuel costs are certainly scary.
I hope whichever way you decide to go, you can keep your home warm enough.
I'm currently cursing myself for not having done something I meant to do at least three years ago, which is to stock up on wood and 'smokeless fuel' supplies for emergencies.  They pollute the environment, which is why I didn't get round to it, but they heat the house.  I think if energy prices go much higher, the demand for fireplace fuel will get bad enough that a lot of my neighbours will be burning wet wood in their fireplaces, de-transitioning from electricity & gas.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2021 08:28PM »
Apparently the government are working towards no households using gas central heating in the coming years. Thankfully electric heating has got cheaper over the years. When I was a child only economy 7 was 'affordable' and electric bar fires and fan heaters were extortionate. Oil filled radiators were middle road but dearer than gas central heating. Dyson now do economic to run thermostatically controlled cooling fan/heaters combined and I have one in my living room and one in my bedroom. Potentially having a shower will be an act of bravery when it's very cold! But my two main rooms I spend time in will be fine.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2021 09:06AM »
The only heating we have is electric. There was no gas laid on to the flats when we moved in and when we enquired about having it put in, it proved to be too complicated and expensive. It would have involved going under the private road adjacent to our public road(why this route I don't know!) and we would have had to have the written permission of all the property owners behind us before we could do anything!
Therefore we stuck with thermostatic panel heaters with timers in those areas that need it. They're quite effective and not too expensive to run. We have an electric towel rail in the bathroom that heats the bathroom nicely and dries the towels too!
One thing I did notice when we moved in was how draughty the place is. The double glazing is old and really needs replacing so that's something we're saving for as the windows are huge and it will be a big job. I had lovely, heavyweight curtains made which is great when the sun goes down, but during the day the cold sneaks through. We put draught proofing strips on the front door, and have a door curtain on the back door which cuts down considerably on cold penetration.
And then of course,  we use the good old draught excluders on the doors. They work wonders too.
Mind you, my best investment for the colder months is my heated throw. I can snuggle on the sofa with the dog under the throw and it helps keep the aches and pains at bay while allowing me to turn the heating down a bit. Sometimes they can be bought online quite cheaply or at Lidl and Aldi.
I changed my heating supplier from Bulb to the Co-op Energy that is supplied via Octopus, a couple of months before all this chaos started. I changed because I like the principles of Co-op Energy and I had been a member of the Phone Co-op for years. I'm on a one year fixed rate and class myself as very fortunate. I don't think this government has any idea how rising prices across the board are affecting people right now and the very tough decisions that they are having to make. It's very sad.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2021 05:57PM »
Apparently the government are working towards no households using gas central heating in the coming years.

Yes, replacing gas with apparently high-cost and inefficient heat pumps  :f_steam:   I know climate change is important but considering we produce only 1% of greenhouse gases, really?

I've never bothered switching between energy suppliers and now I'm glad I didn't...

>edit: faffing around putting a paragraph break in
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2021 06:00PM by KizzyKazaer »