Author Topic: Census 2021 - lets do this :-)  (Read 425 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Census 2021 - lets do this :-)
« on: 10 Mar 2021 11:53AM »
Good morning all.

I just finished filling in my Census 2021 form and am feeling kind of good about it because I was able to mention Ouch Too.

I hope the majority of sick and disabled people in the country are able to fill in the form because as far as I understand it the answers we give affect the future allocation of funds and also should guide policymaking (hopefully in our favour).

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Re: Census 2021 - lets do this :-)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2021 12:35PM »
One of the VI attendees at the group meeting yesterday mentioned that she too had completed the census. In her case being severely VI she took to opportunity to use the census telephone line.

She was impressed with how easy the process was. When she called she was given a time slot when the census official would call her which they did on time. It tool about 10 to 15 minutes to complete the process and then she received a confirmatory text that her census form had been completed.

So if anyone is concerned that they may have difficulty filling in the form this may be the way to go.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2021 01:39PM »
I've completed mine, it was easy and only took 3 or 4 minutes and I just used my phone to do it. It's strange how they move the date because in 1991 it was at the end of April. The last two censuses were followed by the government saying they would stop doing the census due to the astronomical cost but I hope they don't threaten that again as it is crucial for preparing for services and pensions. Hopefully with much of this one happening online that will reduce the cost significantly as so much of the process is computerised. I think it's needed. 

My newest grandaughter will officially be noted as existing  :f_peacedove:

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2021 01:31PM »
I haven't done mine yet.
I think the information held in previous census records makes fascinating reading. It's a fantastic resource for historical research as much as the current census will allow more accurate forward planning. Or that's what we hope will be the outcome.

SteveX

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2021 10:12PM »
Did mine but I'll be honest I game them the least amount of information I could and a couple of my answers ticked the 'other' box and got a "none of your business" comment added.
Member of POMMAS

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2021 11:50AM »
Bit of a false start the census here I had a visit from a foetus (!) telling me off they hadn't seen my census response.  I told him they usually send you a letter with a password on it so you can do it online, and we hadn't had a letter, and, what if I don't HAVE online access?  He said everyone is online and can read OK, (Unless you know different).  

I did get two letters a few days later.  There was yet another inclusion regarding what language I use, and what was I given a list of 10 or more gender options or something, I just wrote 'pass' can't be bothered to engage with that...   I said my usual language was obscene mostly at census people.  I did send a query to the national census regarding a question about sign language,  I said the question wasn't clear, it didn't ask if you were deaf or hearing or knew 1 sign or was fluent or stork from butter etc, they said 'It doesn't matter we only included it to shut up the cultural deaf..'   oops! 

If it was anything like last time the BSL user came unstuck when less than 15,000 said they used it, the BDA then went online declaring there were 110,000 of them, I asked the was there another pandemic a well as covid?   The RNID waded in upping their stats to 11m so clearly an outbreak of people not hearing much was doing the rounds and no vaccination at all for that.  Of course, I am joking.... aren't I?

(as per rules I have cut up paragraphs so it makes it easier reading :) )

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 09 Apr 2021 09:27PM »
(as per rules I have cut up paragraphs so it makes it easier reading :) )

Yes, and thank you for that - but what's wrong with our default font??

Completing the census seemed very easy and straightforward to me, there weren't any questions that I minded answering, really.  After all, I'm just one of millions, nowt special!

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2021 11:22AM »
Lol  I questioned the Census people on why they wanted to know some things, e.g. language etc, being deaf they asked about sign language, but I pointed out it didn't ask if you were deaf, hearing or had any proficiency in it. As a statistical point to suggest future need a non-starter.  I dare not print who the census reply was from or all hell will break loose they said "Yes, we know! but all these minorities are demanding inclusion now, it's just something to keep them quiet'. 

Oooops.  The last census the statistic was just 15,000 BSL users, after the BDA demanded the question inclusion, they were hoping for justification for their cause celeb and it was a quarter of what they said it was.  They dully upped their BSL base to 110,000 and the RNID added another 1m HoH (Although that question was never included), neither are officially true.  Another was Gender, I was offered 10 alternatives, and a space to add more, I said none of the above let me think about it lol  The census is pointless because they have no way of validating your answer is valid, it may just be own perception or a wish list!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2021 11:33AM »
I must have filled my census in wrong because I missed anything about BSL.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2021 02:43PM »
It was under sign language.  I just ignored it basically.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2021 03:37PM »
I don't think I even noticed it.

Maybe I saw a reference to sign language and moved on without registering I'd seen it.  I only got my level 1, which I then forgot because I never use it.

I wonder what proportion of the population has some BSL and isn't fluent but reckon they'd get by at a rather basic level?  I think if something asked if I can sign, a few years ago I'd have ticked yes.

As I probably mention too often, I wish either basic BSL or Makaton was a part of the national curriculum and encouraged societally, because I think if we encouraged everyone to have a basic level of it, and encouraged it in noisy workplaces, it could then make it less desirable to take ear protection off, thus saving a lot of hearing loss.  Better for people who start out with good hearing to use BSL to protect their hearing than because they've lost it.

This has prompted me to think I should brush up my BSL as my hearing's getting worse and worse, especially my sound-discrimination.  Sometimes I resort to communicating with strangers in writing (I carry pen and card for the purpose) and I'd still use that, but it could still help.  It's a nightmare trying to get doctors to communicate in writing. 

Also, I've recently been trying to brush up my keyboard skills - I type all the letters by feel, but I still use vision for most of the symbols. My white cane's in the cupboard these days thanks to treatment, but you never know about the future, do you?  I bet you didn't think mention of BSL would remind me I should be able to type # or * or @ without looking, did you?  Dotty Sunny.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2021 11:04PM »
I did BSL 1 years ago. I follow various signing orgs and groups on Facebook and watch a lot of videos and could probably sign a lot of songs with a mixture of BSL/SSE which is how songs are signed. I would love to learn more BSL and there are excellent Zoom classes now but unfortunately they're all evening classes and with the adrenal insufficiency I am rarely awake during evenings. I wish there was a daytime class on Zoom.

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2021 11:47AM »
It is still a contentional issue with deafened/HoH mostly.  It centres around very basic issues, e.g. just where can you use it? it isn't hearing loss awareness,  can I immerse myself within the situation where it is most effective by joining a deaf community? but primarily I suspect the issue is do I want to be reliant on a 3rd party?  One survey suggested 86% of HoH said this was why they won't adopt sign use, independence even in isolation more preferable. For those born into it, it isn't an issue but a way of living, it is us who struggle with any attempt to do the same.  Once hearing you won't really be able to change that. 

For the majority with hearing loss, sign has been replaced by text technologies already, we know it has replaced BSL on TV etc via subtitling/captioning, doing both at the same time saw BSL suffer by default we read the text first. SEE HEAR has next to no viewers according to MORI, and as OUCH knows, was panned by the HoH for failure to include, in the end, the BBC scrapped feedback to it, and, a reason why OUCH is here, the BBC wanted us out unless we stopped criticising their access discriminations, the BBC then installed disabled 'yes-people' so a sanitised view of disability is seen by disabled that should know better. 

They put SIGN ZONE online instead which was welcomed by deaf areas but effectively saw them dumped away from prime time TV killing inclusion in any broad sense by isolating BSL, as was SEE HEAR dumped to god knows what channel or time now, the BBC wanted it scrapped but it clashed with inclusion laws, so they did the next best thing, put it where nobody knows it is on.      Like most, I have been deterred by the D/d politics of it all really.  I was just getting lectures on how to communicate with people I  didn't even relate to.  I have moved on I don't think they have or want to.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2021 07:15PM »
I want flexibility.

Frankly, I can't see that the French that's usually taught as a language at school has much use.  Better to teach Chinese or Arabic.

But being at least bilingual and preferably trilingual or more is valuable in reducing the risk of some forms of dementia and I do think that BSL as an extra language would be good.

On the other hand, I share a discomfiture over assumptions that if you make adjustments for people with hearing problems, it has to be adjustments for Deaf signers.  Yes, make adjustments for them, but the majority of people with sufficient deafness to provide an obstacle to adequate communication in a range of settings aren't BSL users and because deafness is also more prevalent as people get older, most would be getting deaf at an age when learning a new language is difficult.

The most frustrating absurdity for me recently hearing-wise was actually today.  I'd previously watched a short American film on the Youtube channel Omeleto (sp?) about a homeless man who meets a deafblind man.  The actor is deafblind and it was his first role.

Today I tried to watch a short documentary about the actor and the making of the film.  Fat chance.  There was background music so I couldn't make out what people were saying, there were no included/embedded (not sure of correct term) subtitles, and the Youtube automated subtitles didn't seem to do the necessary.

But gosh, why would a deaf person want to watch a short documentary about a deafblind actor playing a role of a deafblind character?

My BBC subtitling whinge - I have complained to them about programmes where they put the subtitles over the action, i.e. near the bottom rather than as a strip below the scene.  I believe that there should be an option for that, and by that I mean an option that works with a range of technology and doesn't assume we all have the same equipment.

But I've all but given up on the BBC anyway.  I don't find my television particularly accessible, so I watch online, but I find iplayer inaccessible so really we're talking just the few programmes or extracts of programmes that the BBC puts on Youtube.  Why can't they have just a list of programmes for those that want it as an alternative to those pictures that bob up and down as you scroll down?  Maybe they look nice on a smartphone or tablet or something but my eyes and brain struggle with stuff like that.  I can't simply scan them.  My nystagmus kicks in and my mind wanders.

OtE and I disagree on lots of things, but I think we're agreed that the BBC sees accessibility as token and stereotypical one size fits all stuff.

I want to go off on one about NHS accessibility, but I'll give it a rest!