Author Topic: Agoraphobia, fear of going out in the modern world.  (Read 117 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I am feeling good right now because I have just been out in the car :f_yikes: with Mr Sunshine. It was not far and such a thing is ordinary to a lot of people, nevertheless for me it has been especially challenging this year. About a month ago I went out on my mobility scooter and trigger bad Menieres symptoms of vertigo and sickness, then about a week later I was ill in the car. For me the severe Menieres reaction caused by the blood pressure medication I tried taking at Christmas had sent me back years in how it feels to be safe and on my own. Today was the first time I was able to trick myself into not getting too anxious and scared of things that can and do happen because illness and disability. Today I went out and about and tomorrow I may not but we shall see and that is okay.

One a more general note I am wondering about the mental health affects of not having to be around people because of lockdown. 

Are any of you affected by a fear of going out and how is it for you?

SashaQ

• Charter Member
Re: Agoraphobia, fear of going out in the modern world.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2021 10:19PM »
Well done - glad you're feeling better after the medication issues, too :f_hug:

I am a bit worried about the lockdown effect on myself, yes - I haven't been out very much at all compared to previous years, and the thought of travelling long distance is even more daunting than usual.  I've been working at home for the last 11 months, but I did drive to the office one day recently and the 'muscle memory' of going there was fine, so hopefully I will easily get back into the swing of things once I put my mind to it - I do miss meeting my friends in person and visiting different places.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2021 05:08PM »
I'm frightened of going in shops or public buildings like the doctors. At this moment in time I can't imagine doing either but I hope that when it comes to it that I will be able to and hopefully this fear will be a thing of the past. At times I have wanted a certain food item and thought about going to a shop with mask and hand gel but been too frightened. So I just do without.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2021 09:05PM »
I must say, since Dad had his first vaccination four weeks ago, he's become more confident about shopping where previously he was more inclined to shield (he's 80+) so perhaps when peeps here have had theirs, it will become easier to leave the house without the same anxiety levels :xfingers:

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2021 07:36AM »
Where I live a lot of people where I live suffer from Touristaphobia, because of Tourists disgraceful behaviour in recent years.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2021 09:30AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if I I've just got too comfortable with staying at home and not going out at all. There are some people I miss seeing, obviously,  but I've never liked crowds, hate artificial lighting of shopping centres and large shops so avoid them at all costs anyway. 
Now I just feel even more like I can't be bothered with urban shopping centres etc. My husband, for some unfathomable reason, appears to enjoy the grocery shopping, so I'm more than happy to delegate that to him. :f_laugh: if he wasn't around I would now have it delivered. Pre pandemic I went every week with my carer.

The pandemic has definitely changed me. In what ways I'm still unsure. I think it will take me a while to figure that out.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2021 12:50PM »
I suspect it has changed the majority of people