Author Topic: Wheelchair users and exercise during Pandemic restrictions by Fiz  (Read 40 times)

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member

Fiz

• Charter Member
Wheelchair users and exercise during Pandemic restrictions
« on: 02 Feb 2021 12:33PM »

I haven't bought my powerchair yet so this isn't yet relevant but as far as I read the government rules on restrictions during this pandemic it reads that you can leave home once a day to exercise. Given that I can't walk far and when I get the chair would use that to leave my home, does that mean I can't go out for fresh air daily in it or to have someone walk beside me to chat to because I am not exercising in the powerchair?

I can't find any guidance on this on the government website. I wouldn't be exercising so I think it would be forbidden to join someone on their walk?
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2021 10:29PM by Strontium Green »

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member

SashaQ

• Charter Member
Re: Wheelchair users and exercise during Pandemic restrictions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2021 08:16PM »

I'd say that counts as exercise - you're sitting up in the chair and your hand is exercised on the control.  Daily fresh air is very important, I think - I go out  every day, sometimes for a wheelchair run and sometimes for birdwatching, which is exercise fighting against the wind!  I hope you have been getting out and about :)

JLR2

Re: Wheelchair users and exercise during Pandemic restrictions
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2021 09:13PM »

Given folk who are dog owners are allowed out as often as their dog needs walking I'd tell anyone asking I'm out looking for my dog, maybe taking a dog's lead with you :o)