Author Topic: Disabled facilities grant  (Read 183 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Disabled facilities grant
« on: 06 Feb 2021 10:03AM »
Hi my lovely knowledgeable friends,

I'm hoping someone may be able to answer my queries. I'm thinking of applying for a disabled facilities grant and have read all the information on my local councils website and both myself and the project will be covered by their criteria.
However, there's one complicating factor. When we bought our flat we put the majority share in my son's name. My husband kept a 30% interest I think. We pay all service charges and ground rent, maintenance etc and paid cash for the flat. Will the fact that my son co-owns the flat affect my application?

Thanks!

JLR2

Re: Disabled facilities grant
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2021 03:57PM »
Hi DD, whilst I cannot say for certain I would have thought as you meet the criteria any application should be successful. The fact that you've put your son's name as being part owner shouldn't really impact on things and were I making the application I would simply leave out mentioning his part ownership. I'm wondering if your son lives in the house with you presently?  Another thought going through my head is I doubt you're paying any sort of rental to your son so as far as I see things you are living in a house which to all intents and purposes you own. Sorry if my response has been less useful than you might have hoped for DD, the only other idea I have is to suggest you have a word or two with the citizens advice folk.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2021 12:12PM »
Hi JLR2,

Thanks for your reassuring reply.
We don't pay our son any rent. He would be a cheeky bugger to expect any seeing as we paid for everything and just gifted him the share! Easier now than I pop my clogs and inheritance becomes an in issue. I'm skint now, but I won't always be as I'm due to inherit a large amount which I will be able to share now with my husband without us exceeding the IHT threshold. It's only because we live in the crazy south east and property prices have risen beyond the realms of affordability. The house that my parents bought 50 years ago and renovated room by room as they could afford it and paid

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2021 07:58PM »
Back in 2009 my sister was on our mortgage and it made no difference to us getting DFG.

I hope yours is sorted soon good luck.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2021 12:25AM »
I'm not 100% certain but unless deprivation of assets is covered, and I doubt it will be, you should be fine. They'll probably only ask you for details of income, expenditure and savings. It's a very smooth easy process. I have had two lots of work here done with a DFG and my local authority handled everything so there was no hassle at all. I am thinking of applying yet again to get a ramp fitted up to the front door and inside the front door so that I can easily get a powerchair in and out of the house. It'll have to live in the kitchen which isn't large so I will be moving around it a fair bit but it will be nice to be able to go for a "walk" with a friend from the house whereas I go nowhere at all at the moment.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2021 10:13AM »
Sunshine - thank you for the reassurance. I'm pleased to hear it went so smoothly for you.

Fiz - I know what you mean about feeling trapped inside. I sort of feel the same and can't wait to get this project underway.

Thank you to everyone for giving me the confidence to know I'm going along the right lines in applying for a disabled facilities grant. It will be the icing on the cake to the move and make a huge difference to my quality of life. That and the end of lockdown!