Author Topic: I'm back to pester you all!  (Read 840 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
I'm back to pester you all!
« on: 06 Dec 2020 08:42PM »
Hi folks!

After being away for too long to mention, and I know I vanished without trace, but I became seriously ill and spent a ridiculous amount of time in hospital. I had to give up my part time job , and last year I was finally put on some medication that helps one of the conditions I've been diagnosed with that has brought me back to life a little.

I now have nine rare diseases and a couple of more run of the mill jobbies! Oh, I know how to have fun!
This year has been interesting to say the least, as I'm sure it has for all of you, and it got me wondering how all my old pals were doing.

We were evicted from our beloved houseboat after 24 years this summer (a long story) so we were lucky enough to be able to buy a lovely one bedroom ground floor flat very close to the sea on the south coast with a huge garden, near a great park for the dog. It's 10mins from our son and grandchildren and five minutes from the hospital!

So, tell me how you all are and how 2020 has treated you.
I feel embarrassed about the way I deserted you all, and I'm pleased to be back.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: I'm back to pester you all!
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2020 08:53PM »
Good to see you have returned (((hug)))

Sorry that your life became so difficult and probably scarey too.

Hooray to being able to find a good place to live and not to worry about being away so long. Once an Oucher always an Oucher :-)

« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2020 08:55PM by Sunshine Meadows »

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2020 10:04PM »
"Once an Oucher always an Oucher"  Seconded :o)

Ditchdwellers, great to see you back on Ouch. Reading of the numerous illnesses you're faced with I can't begin to imagine how you've coped, I seriously doubt I could.

Your new home sounds lovely DD, how will you manage keeping the garden sorted?  I've a small area of front garden since the car port thing was put in and my back garden isn't too large but that green stuff simply refuses to stop growing and as I managed to buy the house before they ended right to buy in Scotland the council no longer send out the guys to cut the grass for me.

I've been spending most of my day trying to use some bits and pieces to add a bit of shelving in my kitchen and over the last hour or two going round in circles and getting nowhere fast. Come tomorrow around 8/8.30 I'll be at it again first up will be the hacksawing of the legs for my shelf holder, hopefully it'll be level when I turn it right side up and put it on the work top in the kitchen. I need to cut the legs, 3 of them, so as to lower its height allowing me to be able to reach over it to the window's opening handles for opening the window.

It keeps me busy, I suppose. The biggest niggle to me is I always seem to get hit by fractions, fraction too small or not short enough by a fraction seeing me needing to add a bit or cut another bit off. I'll gie everybody peace from my mutterings and see about refilling my empty coffee mug.

« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2020 03:00AM by JLR2 »

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2020 11:33PM »
Sunshine- thanks for welcoming back as an Oucher.  It feels good to be back.

JLR2- it's good to see you my Scottish friend!  My husband has been doing a lot of shelf creating from bits of timber we had knocking about and he's a bit of a perfectionist too. In fact, he sounds a bit like you! If something is a couple of mm's out he'll redo it, even if it's not noticeable, just because the job won't be finished properly!  It drives me crazy! Well, it would do if I was allowed to drive, but now had my license taken away on medical grounds.

You asked how we manage with such a large garden, and the reason we took it on is the we bought the flat leasehold and have to pay an annual service charge to the free holder.  This includes garden maintenance, both front and back and cleaning of the communal area, which is the hall and stairs. The house was one of these large seaside villas built in the 1920s and converted into four flats. We all share the garden areas and have sheds and garden furniture, pots of flowers etc. It's really lovely. Although I've spent most of this year shielding, probably along with a lot of you too.

So, JLR2, I've seen elsewhere on the board that you're still hopping between here and Germany when you can. How's that been during lockdown? Have you mastered zoom?

All the best to you!

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2020 03:31AM »
Good morning DD, as I sit here at 3 in the morning, for once not because of my ankle but something else that is bothering me (I'll come back to that)  I'm looking over the sitting room at the intended shelf unit for the kitchen with the various tools, power drill, screwdriver, wrenches and spirit level and contemplate whether these'll be much point of going back to my kip.

On the telly I have one of my Allo Allo dvds playing, it is from the entire boxed set of the series and my habit is once putting it on I end up watching the whole series from start to finish, over several days. To avoid disturbing my neighbours I've my headphones on. I just about know the script word for word.

I've not been able to visit my friend in Berlin since March because of the virus and only managed to get back then because I brought my return flight forward by 4 days changing airport in the process, fortunately Berlin still had both its airports open at the time so instead of flying into Glasgow I flew from their Tegel airport to Edinburgh. Berlin has since closed Tegel as their new Berlin Brandenburgh (BER) has after years of delay opened. I talk with my friend in Berlin every day on the phone but whilst we in the UK have some hope of one of the vaccines being available in the not too distant future and I will be happy enough to be vaccinated if one is offered my friend in Berlin is sounding a bit unsure. I'm not sure if she is being influenced by what she is hearing on the news about those anti-vaxers and is thinking of waiting till she has heard more about how those getting vaccinated in the first roll out of vaccines react to it.

Coming back to the issue that's seen me up at this time in the morning, recently I bought, on ebay, a stereo unit and whilst the unit has arrived the remote control has not. To replace the remote even on ebay would cost between
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2020 03:59AM by JLR2 »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2020 04:39PM »
Maybe it is a male thing or it has to do with woodwork classes in the 80s but Mr Sunshine can be the same about things being out of line.

DD, I am sorry you no longer have a driving license I hope your husband is a good chauffeur. Do you still have those dogs with the big floppy ears sorry I forget the breed name?

JLR, I was glad you got back from Germany when you did and not just because the DWP might have got on you case about being abroad too long.

This week I have been care shopping ~eeeeekkkk~

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2020 09:30PM »
Er... what's 'care shopping'?

A big howdy-doody to you, Ditchdwellers, and sorry to read you've had it so rough one way and another - may 2021 be kinder to you, too.  Don't apologise for your absence, we fellow Ouchers know how 'stuff' like illness etc can get in the way - it's just good to see you again :-)

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2020 06:38AM »
In an earlier posting I was chatting about my having bought on ebay a Denon hi-fi system the system involved is a UDRA M10 this is a unit I know fairly well, least I should given I have had one for years, so many years that the main amplifier unit that connects the various separates CD/Tape deck has developed a bit of a dodgy connection with the left speaker and the CD player needs the 3 decks to be reshuffled a couple of times before it'll read and play the CDs.

The unit that was delivered is like new, I guess previous owner wasn't a smoker unlike me. I mentioned to the seller in a message that I had the same unit and I suspect that having mentioned this has seen the seller think they could hold back or fail to include the remote control with the intention of selling it later on ebay to another would be buyer. The remote itself sells for around

JLR2

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2020 10:02AM »
My previous posting only posted part of what I had intended :o(

JLR2

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2020 10:07AM »
I'm going to try to post my whole posting in stages.

The unit that was delivered is like new, I guess previous owner wasn't a smoker unlike me. I mentioned to the seller in a message that I had the same unit and I suspect that having mentioned this has seen the seller think they could hold back or fail to include the remote control with the intention of selling it later on ebay to another would be buyer. The remote itself sells for around

JLR2

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2020 10:08AM »
 As you would expect I contacted the seller to ask about where the remote was and I was getting nowhere for a day or so and then eventually got a message telling me they had no idea what could have happened to it.

JLR2

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2020 10:09AM »
I had apologies and an invite to return the unit if I was not satisfied with things. Well a few thoughts crossed my mind about this, first if this was a seller who was indeed prepared to use what I would term sharp practice then could I be sure I wanted to trust them to refund all of what I had paid for the purchase?  Or might there be a chance they would claim the product had either been damaged in its return or even not received?  There was also the fact that the unit itself as I was saying earlier worked like it had just come from the factory and I might not find one like it again available on ebay. Could it be the seller was thinking this and felt sure I wouldn't return it?

JLR2

« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2020 10:10AM »
Well consider this, following my many messages asking the seller where the remote was, that went without response for long enough, and their invite for me to return the purchase as there was nothing the seller could do about the missing remote, I sent a further message asking if the seller would consider reducing the cost/price on another item they had for sale on ebay by way of compensation for the loss of the remote?  Seller's reaction, very quick reply telling me they would be happy to discuss a reduced price on the item I mentioned. A few hours later, on Monday, Oh whoopee they had found the remote AND the items instruction manuals and would send them on to me. That was Monday as yet no remote delivered, my suspicious mind sees me tend to believe the seller thought I would take them at their word and put in an offer for the later items I suggested I was interested in if the price was reduced due to the loss of the remote control.

JLR2

« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2020 10:13AM »
So far I have not left a buyers experience posting on ebay to do with my purchase but if I don't receive the remote by the end of today I'll leave a frank and honest opinion of the seller involved in my purchase.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, am I?

A replacement remote on ebay costs

JLR2

« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2020 10:13AM »
20/25
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2020 10:15AM by JLR2 »