Author Topic: Scope forum can people tell me what they think of it. by Sunshine Meadows  (Read 660 times)

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member
Sunshine Meadows
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Scope forum can people tell me what they think of it.
« on: 27 Jan 2021 05:27PM »

https://forum.scope.org.uk/

Can you each take a look through the SCOPE forum please. The navigation is different than here and so for the longest time it did not look very busy to me. Then the other day I found the categories page https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories and it looks like there is a lot more going on.

After you have checked out both links please let me know what you think.

For me it is pretty much the forum I would have liked to build if I had more ability to build it, and I am left wondering if rather than me building something could we just go there?

« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2021 12:23PM by Sunshine Meadows »
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2021 10:31PM by Strontium Green »

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Scope forum can people tell me what they think of it.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2021 11:22AM »

I don't seem to be able to open the links Sunshine.
I'll search for them using Google and report back.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2021 11:28AM »

Try this link again:

https://forum.scope.org.uk/

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2021 11:57AM »

The forum is really good and has lots of useful information and discussions on it.

But, and it's a big but for me (no pun intended!), I think it would destroy the family feeling we have here. When I come to Ouch Too I know I'm amongst friends and feel free to talk about anything without judgement. Saying that about a public board is probably some sort of oxymoron, but that's how I genuinely feel.

The only problem I realise is the effort, time, and resources that Sunshine and our Mods put into running this site. I remain forever grateful for their skills and dedication in keeping this such a friendly and welcoming site.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2021 12:50PM »

Thank you DD :-)

I am glad you let me know the links did not work. I edited the opening post to add links that work.

I know what you mean about the SCOPE site being too big and this site being friendly.  Keeping Ouch Too as it is will cost
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2021 12:53PM by Sunshine Meadows »

Sunshine Meadows

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2021 12:54PM »

.... its like I am Twitter

It will cost

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2021 12:54PM »

80 pounds

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2021 12:55PM »

The gremlin is back little

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2021 12:55PM »

and I would have to fix that which is probably doable if I rebuild.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2021 09:42PM »

I've had just a quick look for now - but isn't Scope aimed at people with cerebral palsy rather than a general disability forum like we have here?  (and I must say, I prefer our layout to theirs!)

JLR2

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2021 09:59PM »

"I think it would destroy the family feeling we have here"  Me too DD.  I took a look at the Scope webpages and felt it too crowded sort of like trying to use some of the sites like compare the market or similar websites, just too many distractions.

I like the feeling of us all being friends who though never having actually met would get on just fine were we to do so. It was for me stress relieving to be able to talk of the recent problems I was having with the house's plumbing and the issues I was having with the pain in my back. I've even another issue beginning to make itself felt and that revolves around my flight bookings with Easyjet and their voucher scheme. I requested voucher rather than a refund as I know I'll still be wanting to go back over to Berlin. Under EJ's voucher scheme there is a use by date which once exceeded the voucher will become invalid with no refunds being given. The only hope I have just now is to book a flight which, given the German government is about to ban passenger flights from the UK, will more than likely be cancelled and then I'll demand a cash refund rather than another voucher.

Even if the flight was to go ahead the chances of my being able to find a genuine Covid19 testing company and have them do the test on me three days prior to my flight I wouldn't be able to access my emails for the result whilst I am waiting at the airport. The normal routine for me was to travel down to Glasgow the day before my flight so as to be there within two or three hours of the intended flight (as required by EJ)  and I've heard of folk, through BBC Breakfast stories, who even though they had been tested did not get their test result back in time losing their flight and with no refunds. As things stand right now all I can do is hope that by the time of my being ready to return to Berlin, possible July or August, I might have had a vaccination jab.

Anyways as I was saying it feels good to be able to sort of type out my wee problems here and relieve the muttering I'm doing in my head trying to think of how or when I'm going to see my friend in Berlin again.

Oops near disaster, I've let me coffee mug run dry time for a refill methinks, oh by the way recently I've been watching the Detectives boxed set (Jasper Carrot / Robert Powell)  and a right few good chuckles it has given me :o)

"and I must say, I prefer our layout to theirs!"  I completely agree with you Kizzy.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2021 09:07AM »

I too agree with KK and JLR2 about the Scope site. A bit fussy and more limited in focus. Maybe its because I am more familiar with it, but this site seems friendlier.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2021 12:55PM »

Kizzy,

Yes that is what I thought but looking at the SCOPE site now I can see it has expanded its reach. You being here to moderate and share the responsibility is the main reason I have kept Ouch Too going >hugs<

Everyone,

I am taking what you have said onboard and have a suggestion which is how would people feel about sharing the cost of keeping the site going as it looks now, with the current glitches fixed and emoticons back?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2021 01:34PM »

I have no problem with contributing towards the cost.

JLR2

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2021 03:44PM »

I'm in :o)

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member
ditchdwellers
  • Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2021 04:56PM »

Count me in! And thanks to you and Kizzy for giving us a 'home'.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2021 09:35PM »

It's my online home too :-)

So we stay right where we are?  *sigh of relief*  I have to say, never been tempted to join a message board that focuses mainly on a particular type of disability, eg I wouldn't want to be on a mental health forum.  No disrespect to these places, they obviously fulfil a need for many, but personally I enjoy the wide variety we have here (and used to have on BBC Ouch) and feel we are all equal as disabled people with all our differences, which is just how I like it! 

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2021 12:21PM »

:-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2021 04:11PM »

Kizzy asked will we stay where we are and the answer is no and yes. What I will do is see if I can get the site back on wwwOuchToo.org rather than www.OuchToo.co.uk.

I think after the past year of technical gremlins that I buy the hosting build the site and work out what extras people who make donations can get then ask for donations.
One extra I am thinking of is that members who donate are given the ability to edit and delete their posts beyond the current 24 hour deadline.

It sounds like you all what the original theme we are currently using, is there anything else?

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2021 04:12PM »

I spent much of the day fixing things on the old site and was reallly happy to get the logo back working yayayayyay happy dance
This means the database is ticked and I am on my way to fixing smilies.

Please dont start using the old site until I give you the green light :-)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2021 09:21PM »

It has to be said, there are many smileys I miss - the thumbs-up, for instance - so it will be good (if it turns out to be possible) to have the 'old friends' back again...

I suppose the gremlins are one thing we can't blame on coronavirus :-D

JLR2

« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2021 09:40AM »

"I suppose the gremlins are one thing we can't blame on coronavirus"

Aren't they cousins? :o)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2021 06:45AM »

Happy to donate too

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2021 12:12PM »

~grins~

so we are almost there, a bunch of tech stuff is done including fixing the issue where posts were not posting properly- after people used the pound sign everything after that went pooft.

smilies and icons are proving time consuming but we shall prevail :-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2021 11:27AM »

Smilies are fixed hooray.

Can people go over to www.ouchtoo.org and check they can log in okay. If you dont remember your old password just let me know and I will rest it for you.

PLEASE do not post on the old forum until moving day.

Thank you :-)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2021 12:45PM »

Just to let you know I managed to log on with no problem.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2021 01:10PM »

Quote from: oldtone27 on 17 Feb 2021 12:45PM

Just to let you know I managed to log on with no problem.

Same here.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2021 02:31PM »

~ thumbs  up~

:-)