Author Topic: Heavy duty but compact mobility scooter?  (Read 2433 times)

Bliss

Heavy duty but compact mobility scooter?
« on: 22 Nov 2015 09:14PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a heavy duty but compact mobility scooter available? All I've been able to find searching around online is huge heavy duty ones.

I'm a wheelchair user, and I have a powered wheelchair. The range (distance) I get from it though is nothing like the manufacturer's quoted figures, largely I think because I live at the bottom of a very short but very steep hill, which you need to go up to get anywhere. That kind of limits me just to the main shopping street of the village where I live. Even if I can get a wheelchair accessible taxi into town, I'm still very limited as to where I can go, because the town's built on a slope, so I'm limited to only a small area of town I can shop in each time. Even with the powerchair, I'm still pretty limited as where I can go, and I'm often reliant on family members for lifts to various other places.

A friend recently suggested that I should get something with a larger range to give myself more independence. She suggested I try a Shoprider Traveso: http://shoprider.co.uk/mobility-product/shoprider-traveso-mobility-scooter/, which I've looked at, but it doesn't look as though the range is any greater than my powered wheelchair from looking at the technical specs.

We've recently had a porch built to store my wheelchair in, as it was being stored in the garage, which isn't really weather-proof and is very cold in the winter, which doesn't do the batteries any good, and therefore the range of the wheelchair. The porch is pretty big - 2m x 2m - but I'm not sure the porch would take a powerchair, large mobility scooter, and a manual wheelchair - hence me asking if there's such a thing as a compact heavy duty mobility scooter.

Bliss
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2015 09:16PM by Bliss »

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Re: Heavy duty but compact mobility scooter?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2015 11:37AM »
How about a medium size scooter with heavy duty batteries, and a blanket and waterproof cover to keep it snug in the cold.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2015 06:55PM »
How about a power trike adaption for the manual wheelchair,Google Team Hybrid  >biggrin<

Mine gets up pretty steep hills - I will post more when on my computer.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2015 07:32PM »
How about one of these:-

http://www.mobilitygiant.co.uk/shop/tga-supersport-1

Specifications:
Maximum Speed: 8mph
Battery Range: 34 miles
Ground Clearance: 4.6 inches
Max User Weight: 31 stone
Length: 63 inches
Width: 29 inches
Battery Size: 75 a/h
Turning Radius: 39 inches
Tyres: Pneumatic
Colour: Black
Weight: 110kg

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2015 09:52PM »
Bliss - how large in terms of amp hours are the batteries on your powerchair, and how much range are they giving you at present?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2015 09:02AM »
Good Morning,

The reason I suggested a Powertrike attachment is because they take up a lot less room than another wheelchair or scooter. Team Hybrid converted my old PDQ Powertrike to a Team Hybrid Viper Power Cycle at a lower cost than buying a whole new system. The Viper attaches to my wheelchair and makes it into Powertrike. When I bought mine there was a choice of two motors and I picked the one with the higher torque rating so it is better at getting up hills. The system does take some strength to get put together and some people find it too heavy. Mr S puts mine together and we do have a side alley which means the trike can be left together for when I am going to use it. The website says the range is 11 miles, I have not tested the range on mine, thinking about it I get about four trips to the woods on one battery.

The Powertrike does not fit into shops easily because of the length but that is the same for rugged scooters. I cant walk into a shop so it makes no difference to me other than it is easier to get my manual wheelchair out of the car when it is in the boot with the Powertrike attachment than it wood be if a sccoter was taking up a lot of the space.

If you are looking into second hand avoid PDQ Powertrikes unless you plan to buy one cheap and get it converted. The motors and batteries over heat a lot and power drain is ridiculous.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2015 12:53PM »
Hello Bliss

A few day's ago I just got REGATTA MERCARY mobility scooter that is compact,solid
with a range of 25 mile's

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2015 07:57PM »
Helloo Bliss

Today 26/12/15 I've been up + downn a very steep hill in my neigbour-hood in my new