Author Topic: Dry nose  (Read 2420 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Dry nose
« on: 25 Jul 2015 12:33PM »
I've had dryer and dryer eyes over recent years.  To begin with, I put it down to medication, but I'm no longer on the meds that I thought were causing it.  Likewise my mouth.  So I've got sicca, and at some point I want to see my GP to see whether I've got Sjogren's or whether there's some other cause for it, but I'm due to see an oral surgeon about something else, so I'm hoping he might be able to take a lip biopsy while he's rummaging around in there.

Meanwhile...

About 2-3 months ago, I had a horrid chest infection, and my nose was a bit drippy as well, although, with hindsight, not very much so.  Nevertheless, it was enough to give me cracked nostrils.

Here's confession time (and time was I wouldn't have said this publicly), I have mild dermatillomania, probably a leftover from picking scales off rampant childhood psoriasis.

I can cope with half-healed wounds, including ones scabbing/filling in, but not the dry scabs with peeling edges.   They're not part of me and have to be got rid of, using tweezers if necessary.

Usually I fight the urge by putting a dressing or sticking plaster on, often with a cream underneath, or by waiting until I've picked then putting spray plaster or New Skin on.

But with nostrils?  Anyway, months later, I've still got a problem and I put it down just to picking.  Incidentally, I'm not a snot-picker, just a scab-picker.  I don't think it would be any more embarassing, just that the distinction is relevant here.

Anyway, every time I think my nostrils are ok, they crack again.

I've had infections in the back of my nose or thereabouts, with thick, sticky catarrh, but never thinner mucus.

Finally, a penny has dropped.  The sicca is affecting my nostrils and a rummage around online shows that this can indeed be the case.  This then would affect healing.  How can very dry skin heal?  New skin will tear apart easily.

Ok, so I can go to the chemist and buy artificial tears and stuff for a dry mouth, but nostrils???

I've tried stuff like Savlon, Compeed, Vaseline.

There has to be something that works.

I need something to seal the surface and also to be a bit damp.  Not as runny as savlon. 

I thought of E45, but I don't really think that's going to be any better than Savlon.

Get your thinking caps on, Ouchers!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

huhn

Re: Dry nose
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2015 01:53PM »
I use often  oil, i do not like creams, so one or two drops of oil maybe?
 but I have the same, can not  have any dry scales on my skin and my skin is extremely dry.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2015 02:29PM »
I could try olive oil perhaps.

I use olive oil on bread rather than butter or margarine, so I've always got some in the house.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2015 04:23PM »
Try coconut I find its great for chapped hands. I have used it for years so it could be worth a try.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2015 04:52PM »
I've got some coconut.  I bought a jar of it because it's supposed to be good for the brain but haven't been using it.  I like the smell of coconut, although the oil isn't very strong smelling.  I'll give it a go.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2015 10:40PM »
Vaseline on a cotton bud.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2015 12:02AM »
The doctor recommended this to my husband when he was having problems with a dry nose. They really helped.
http://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Sterimar-Isotonic-Nasal-Hygiene-spray-100ml_9333/

Yvette

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2015 09:29AM »
Medi Derma-S (Medical Barrier Cream) is very good.  The District Nurses use it on the skin around the wound on my leg.  You have to get it on prescription though.

http://www.medicare-plus.com/Barrier-Cream.html

Another idea is to try nappy creams - they are used for protecting very delicate skin!