Author Topic: Naproxin or dihydrocodeine  (Read 9513 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Naproxin or dihydrocodeine
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2015 09:04PM »
That was very brave of you Mabelcat.  I find the worse time is in bed waiting to go to sleep, or being woken up by the pain.  How do you manage your pain?

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: 27 Jul 2015 05:02PM »
Have you been able to get a GP appt auntie?

BTW, naproxen doesn't contain omeprazole, although you should be taking something similar if you are going to be on the naproxen long-term.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jul 2015 08:15PM »
Yes I did Hurty.  I managed to get an emergency appointment and it turned out to be with the usual Dr I now see in the group practise.  I'm not sure if that was good or not.

Anyway she has told me to stop the Naproxen due to the side effects, although it will take about a week to get it out of my system.  She suggested that I swap the dihydrocodeine, which is making me very sleepy, for codeine phosphate.

I feel like a laboratory chicken.  Squark!  More wretched new pills to try.  I'm going to leave trying this for a few days to let the naproxen side effects get less. So I again have sent the day asleep in bed feeling not the best I have ever been.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2015 09:17PM »
Auntie  >hugs<  I do hope that you are soon able to find something that controls your pain without giving unacceptable side effects.

I tried a new pain med recently but it made me very very anxious and shaky. I sat and looked at them last week, just before we went away, and decided that I just wasn't prepared to take them any more. I had to see a different GP as my own was not available and I needed more of my old tabs. She treated me as if I was a junkie looking for more meds  >angry<  She did agree to give me 2 week's worth of my old meds and I am seeing my usual GP again tomorrow. I will tell him how I felt last week...

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jul 2015 09:22PM »
So you are going through the same sort of routine, Hurty.  Horrid isn't it, particularly when you know that it is not your own condition/s that is making you so ill but the medication/s.

All the best with your Dr's visit.  (I'm off back to bed.  I have been up 2 hours and now exhuasted again.)

Yvette

« Reply #35 on: 28 Jul 2015 09:43AM »
codeine phosphate

It will make you constipated, so please make sure you eat lots of oranges, prunes and whatever else to keep you 'going'.  >yikes<

Hurty, I'm so sorry you are having such a bad time.

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 28 Jul 2015 09:48AM »
Have you been able to get a GP appt auntie?

BTW, naproxen doesn't contain omeprazole, although you should be taking something similar if you are going to be on the naproxen long-term.
Hurtyback, they now make a 2 in 1 pill. I asked my GP if I could take these, he said they are only for new starters and don't contain enough omeprazole for long term users.

Auntie, if you have a diary or note book, keep a record of what you have taken and what affect they had as further down the line they will try to give you one you have tried but, had bad side affects.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2015 09:33PM »
That's interesting sue, thanks.

Saw my own GP who was happy for me to go back to the DHC (it's cheaper than the palexia!). We spoke a little about the dc I saw last week. Own GP says other doc did speak to him about me but didn't say anything that suggested she thought I was trying anything on. We also spoke a little about the current pressure on them to cut the prescribing of opiates by a huge proportion and the fact that, barring a miracle, it is unlikely that I will ever be completely pain free.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: 28 Jul 2015 10:30PM »
That is interesting Hurty.  I did not know that they were trying to cut opiates back.  I expect it is due to the cost and the fact that they get given (!) to drug addicts.  I was virtually accused of that when I once told them I had lost a pack.  It was not nice.

I've sort-of accepted that I will always be in pain.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: 30 Jul 2015 04:51AM »
My GP told me they've been told by the practice manager to consider costs of everything, to ensure people are prescribed what is needed but always the cheapest options. I've been prescribed calcium a couple of months now but at the start of that she had to look up the practice directory about which brand/type to prescribe and then had to check those had no sugar in them or I couldn't have had them. I guess their budgets are being squeezed. I would hope everyone should still get what they need though.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jul 2015 09:40AM »
Yes I did Hurty.  I managed to get an emergency appointment and it turned out to be with the usual Dr I now see in the group practise.  I'm not sure if that was good or not.

Anyway she has told me to stop the Naproxen due to the side effects, although it will take about a week to get it out of my system.  She suggested that I swap the dihydrocodeine, which is making me very sleepy, for codeine phosphate.

I feel like a laboratory chicken.  Squark!  More wretched new pills to try.  I'm going to leave trying this for a few days to let the naproxen side effects get less. So I again have sent the day asleep in bed feeling not the best I have ever been.

>hugs< >chocolate<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jul 2015 07:33PM »
Oooo choccie.  Just what I need.  Something is wrong with my debit card.  The bank said they had fixed it but when I went shopping yesterday it did not work.  So I have no money and no access to money.  I could really fancy a chunky kitkat at the moment.  I was too tired today to phone the bank up again.

I've put the codeine tablets somewhere safe.  Somewhere.  I need to start trying them asap.  Groan.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jul 2015 09:07PM »
Think of the calories, waistline and money saved with that dodgy bank card! Have some more calorie free choc from here  >chocolate<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: 30 Jul 2015 10:12PM »
Auntie  >hugs<   >chocolate<  I do hope you have what you need until this is sorted.

JLR2

« Reply #44 on: 30 Aug 2015 07:04PM »
I've been on dihydrocodeine and naproxen for a number of years now taking 8 of the dihydrocodeine and a couple of naproxen regular like. Usually at the first signs of my neck pain making itself felt I reach for the naproxen and it is only now and then I've had to take another shortly after the first. I do find it tends to work for me fairly quickly.

The nearest thing to a problem for me with the naproxen is in my not knowing if it is covering up the early signs of my having a temporal epilepsy attack as the early signs of that are the pain starting in the back of my head/neck. The dihydrocodeine doesn't really do much for my ankle pain which it is prescribed for but it is the only medication my doctor gives me having tried others such as the pain patches.