Author Topic: What I would really like.  (Read 5316 times)

Frances

• Charter Member
What I would really like.
« on: 07 Feb 2015 06:28PM »
I was just sat here thinking and I realized . I am 70 , Ryan is 33 and we haven't had a holiday since Ryan was still in school ,
When we went to our favorite place Camarthen. We always loved that part of Wales.
 He was 15 and just about to take his O Levels. In which he got 3. A*  in English language , Lit and maths.
Then he quite suddenly after a summer of even being well enough to ride his bike for Miles (8) he became very ill.
From there on its been all down hill.
Hence my thoughts we haven't had a Holiday not even a couple of days in 15 years.
 So what I would really Like is to take one more trip there.
Sadly with our health as it is that is just a DREAM !! >zzz<
So what would everyone else Really Like.

Mistynow

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Re: What I would really like.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2015 08:24PM »
I would Really Like to look at O.H. and see his face as it used to be, not tired, weary and grey, just  to spend a day together relaxing, we used to go out taking with us a 'Famous Five' Picnic, oh that Ginger Beer was yummy, sitting on the Admirals Lookout at Dover Castle or in the grounds of Leeds Castle enjoying the fresh air but recently I have found myself reading

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/william-henry-davies.html

more often.... and wondering why we no longer have time

SteveX

« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2015 01:09AM »
My last holiday was in 1995.  ...no, really.

It would be truly lovely to get away from the same old flat even for 2-3 days but sadly unless I win the lottery it's not possible.  But yeah, a holiday would be so nice.

Member of POMMAS

Sunshine

« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2015 11:46AM »
I love that poem  >star< I remember having to learn it for Poetry class when I was around 12.

I would really like a gizmo to be invented that could predict the affect going out and about was going to have on me so I could plan medication and how much I was going to be able to do.

To be told Pain is predicted to be a 8 with a Nausea rating of 7 I could log in taking medication to bring the ratings down to say a Pain of 5 and Nausea of 4 and yippee out with the dogs I go.

>biggergrin<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2015 12:05PM »
I would really like.... a new head that works better than the one I have now  >whistle<

But seeing as that isn't possible, would love to be able to have a day out, or attend social gatherings, without feeling absolutely done in afterwards!  In other words, more spoonage please..

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 Feb 2015 12:56PM »
I would like a new career.  I'd like status and respect.

Before you all go thinking that by that I mean that by status I mean top of the social heirarchy, I don't.

But I'd like to do a job somewhere where people saw my role and my skills as valuable to them.

I don't care if it means cleaning toilets if I work somewhere where people consider the cleanliness of their toilets as important to them.

I recently copied a list of jobs off the internet and pasted it into a document.  It was clearly an American list and was compiled from a list of jobs people said they did, so it wasn't complete and there were similar and overlapping jobs, but it was a starting point.  There were over 400.  I've been gradually whittling them down.  I'm not sure how many are left on my list -  maybe 100 or so.  I shall add a few more and delete a few more.  I've been re-grouping them as well to get a picture of what I want to do.  I've also been drawing up a list of those industries/fields of work that I consider to be least vulnerable to austerity and political change.

What I find sad in many ways is that the things I'd most like to do either involve another degree (not feasible financially) or manual dexterity or lifting (no longer feasible). 

I spent much of my life advising people in a variety of contexts, and I no longer have a relevant knowledge base.  In theory I could acquire one, but these days employers expect ready-made qualifications, experience and knowledge.

So I think it'll probably have to be in the field of paperwork of some sort, maybe writing things (I'm a dab hand at things like CVs and application forms) or being some sort of office administrator.  I'm also good at fundraising applications (my success in securing funds from various levels of official funding from local to European runs into seven figures).

My biggest weakness is poor self-confidence which leads to a vulnerability to workplace bullying and to overworking leading tio further breakdowns.  On the other hand, if I can find an employer who'll be supportive, I'm willing to be flexible and work odd hours.

So we'll see.

But I want a new career where people value me and understand that if they're supportive and kind, I'll go the extra mile.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2015 04:47PM »
Sunny, you sound suited to the type of job I have.  I work as a Parish Clerk and find it interesting work that I can fit around my various impairments.  As I'm officially a Local Gov employee, I get all the job security and advantages of a full time employee even though I only work very part time.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 09 Feb 2015 08:00PM »
As a parish clerk, do you mean clerking the parish council?

I'm dead good at understanding committees.  I've been on so many and been involved in local politics in the past as that nebulous entity, a 'community leader' (aka busybody). 

So looking after a bunch of politicians and dealing with the paperwork involved in them and their dealings with the community would be good.

I couldn't do the secretarial stuff in meetings though because of my  hearing.

That's now added onto my list and I'll do a bit of research into what other bodies we have locally at a similar level of function, budgets etc. in my local community.  (They're big on 'initiatives' and 'liaison committes' and 'community development plans' etc. round here.)
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 09 Feb 2015 08:35PM »
The work is quite varied.  I work for a smallish Parish Council and work mainly from home and I'm contracted for 9 hours a week.  I field phone calls and emails, and I'm the official point of contact for all PC correspondence.  I write agendas for meetings, in  conjunction with the chairman,  and write minutes of meetings.  If this may be a problem for you,  there may be ways around it, such as recording the meetings and transcribing at a later date. The Clerk is responsible for ensuring that the council operates in accordance with local government laws, so you have quite an important role. I'm also the Responsible Financial Officer and control the budget,  including the submission of the Annual Return to the auditor.
some of the larger Parish Councils and Town Councils employ assistant clerks and they often do fewer hours than the clerk.  There is also the option to take on more than one council if you have the time,  and for career progression.  I have just registered for the Certificate in Local Council Administration,  which is being paid for by my council, and once I have passed it, it enables my council to access the Quality Council scheme as I will be a qualified clerk and it opens doors for both myself and the council.

If you want to find out more about it, have a look at your local Association of Local Councils.  The details can probably be found at NALC http://www.nalc.gov.uk/.
I'm coming up to 2 years as a clerk and I really enjoy it. I spent 8 years as a Parish Councillor prior to this so I had some idea about how councils operate.  Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about it further.

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 09 Feb 2015 08:53PM »
I really want a kitten but I know I can't as the others would not be happy but i am feeling really broody.

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 09 Feb 2015 08:54PM »
I would also like to sleep occasionally.

Sunshine

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2015 10:46AM »
I really want a kitten but I know I can't as the others would not be happy but i am feeling really broody.

I have been the same way but for a puppy, I think it is because both dogs are getting older now and I am worried we wont have the physical energy to train a pup if we do get another dog when Megs and Luka cross the rainbow bridge.

I really like this thread because it allows me to dream  :-)

I would love to be able to run again or ride a bike especially is it was on a woodland trail.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2015 09:49PM »
I would really like to be able to sit in comfort, so that I could watch a show right through or fly away somewhere.

stalwart

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2015 05:44AM »
I just want a new body

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2015 06:55PM »
To be some one else that did not always feel as ghastly as I do at this moment.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour