Author Topic: Pregabalin  (Read 4720 times)

Jazz

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Pregabalin
« on: 16 Jan 2015 10:30PM »
Hi

Ages since i have been around. Lots happened, daughter a lot better although she has not been in school for nearly 3 years she has got accepted for college to train as a veterinary nurse,her case for court has gone to cps so having to wait a while for their decision hopefully will be a court case cannot let him get away with it.She is awaiting Therapy from the rape centre but because they have open ended Therapy she has to wait but because she is only 15 tney have given her priority, this will hopefully give her some closure.
My mum has passed away 7 months ago which has affected me so badly, i cannot accept that she has gone, i have not hardly left my bed in that time and I have only left the house 4 times in that time and only been dressed 2 timesin 5months and that was for Christmas day and new years day. I have been diagnosed with agraphobia and OCD as wellas all the other things wwrong with me.
GP has just taken my Gabapentin off me and started me on Pregabalin, the Gabapentin  i was on 1200mg and was finding it was working but because of the agraphobia and not coping with losing mum she says that the Pregabalin was better,she has got me down to 300mg of Gabapentin and now i start the Pregabalin with 75mg twice a day and stop the Gabapentin. Today i have felt very fatigued ,dizzy and sick. I expect this has been talked about loads before but others must have been on it could you tell me how you got on with it,she said i can up it one a week to 600mg.
i have read a bit about it and all i have read so far is how awful it is i wondered if there was any good things about it. I have to admit i nearly didn't start it but i was so low on Gabapentin the pain was starting to get bad and had to take something. I am also on 52 transtech patches and 250 venlalic (can't spell it!!). Thanks
Jazz

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Pregabalin
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2015 12:21AM »
 >hugs<

Yvette

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2015 09:45AM »
 >hugs<

Sunshine

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2015 12:17PM »
Hi Jazz :-)

Good to see you posting.

I tried Pregabalin in 2011 and there is more information on this thread http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=1188.0, I stopped taking it because I fear it was affecting my mental health. However now that the amount of TN pain I am getting daily has increased and I also have a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia I have decided to try Pregabalin again. Fibromyalgia might have been what caused the 'mental health' symptoms.

I sometimes get close to becoming agoraphobic because pain means I don't go out much eg cold wind makes pain worse, and if I dont make myself go out I start to feel like there is an invisible wall growing over the front door.

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2015 01:32PM »
This may be a long one. !
Ryan first took Gabapentin about 5 years ago it helped the pain but when I went on it I was more than a bit crackers Trying to go for a walk in the middle of the night, (Great idea when I have trouble even walking around our tiny garden).Writing rubish on a cheque Etc.  So off it I came. At that time GP could not get pregablin lactose free which by now is known to be better as a pain killer..
Then about 6 months ago I decided to phone the manufactures they were so helpful saying as its actually an epilectic drug and Children take it ,So it is made in a suspension. So Ryan goes on it. Not only is it a great pain killer.
The Absences he had had for several years STOPPED. Yep it seems he is Epilectic and it had not been diagnosed. So fast forward a while and the GP decides to try me on it for pain just on a low dose anyway.
All was fine for 4 days ,Then I got more and more forgetful. After about 10 days I was wandering about . In a trance giving Ry his meds at the wrong times even wrong meds and strength >yikes<. Leaving the cooker on, putting cups in the washing machine . !!(Get the idea). Then one night  an almighty crash and Ry finds me battered and bruised on the bathroom floor. I made no sense. He rang GP next morning after a dreadful night trying to stop me doing stupid things She was here within 30 mins. Did tests in case it was a urine infection as that has the same effect on me. But it was not that it took over a week to get it out of my system.
During which Ryan had the most awful time watching my every move as I kept leaving the cooker on etc . (I was a Nutty as Fruit cake)   >doh<.
Yet Ryan is fine on it and says its one of the Best meds and has even been on and has been able to give up His Morphine and other opioids.  :-)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2015 03:04PM »
Hi Jazz, it is lovely to 'see' you again although I am sorry to hear that you have had/are having such a dreadful time  >hugs<

Jazz

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2015 04:54PM »
Thank you for all your replies, helpful as always.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2015 05:04PM »
Hi Jazz  >hugs<

I had been on Pegabalin for about 3 months when I posted my reply in the thread Sunshine linked to, so I suppose this will behave as an update, as I have now been taking the drug for over 3 years.

I was prescribed Pregbalin for neuropathic pain back in August 2011, but have found that it has helped with generalised anxiety and agoraphobia as well. The anxiolytic effects are not immediately obvious - for me they emerged gradually as my dosage increased. The symptoms certainly have not been abolished, but they no longer have quite the same hair-trigger sensitivity as before, affording me time to marshal my defences and either fend off or decide how best to weather any oncoming panic.

In terms of practical advice, I found it helpful to titrate my dose up slowly, allowing the side effects to settle before further increases. Because Pregabalin is quite sedating, it is wise to increase your evening/night time dose for a week or two before doing likewise with the morning dose. I found this made the initial drowsiness and wooziness easier to manage.

I hope that you find the drug as helpful as I have  >bighugs<

Jazz

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2015 05:25PM »
Thank for that i wasn't sure about helping tne agrophobia, may i ask? Are you able to get out at all since you have been on the Pregabalin? I have not been out for so long i am beginning to think that i will never go out again!
Today has been a bad day the fatigue from side effects has made me sleep u til now plus i have had a terrible headache, i took co-codamol and it helped,still feel zombie like and a bit un easy on my feet when going to bathroom which is just next door to my bedroom.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2015 02:22PM »
I hope you're feeling a bit less dizzy and exhausted today, jazz  >hugs<

I do get out a lot more than I used to, although it's still an enormous challenge, and something I need to balance carefully with enough recovery time to keep me on an even keel.

I can manage short trips, such as to the local shops, on my own provided I'm going at a quiet time of day, but for longer trips, or anything involving lots of crowds and noise, I need to have someone with me. I also need to plan such trips carefully, building in breaks in quiet places (accessible toilets are good for this) so that I don't become overwhelmed. I still get panic attacks and still dissolve into tears if someone looks at me the wrong way, but find it a bit easier to cope.

I've suffered from agoraphobia for over 20 years, and have done quite a bit of anxiety management and graduated exposure work in that time. Has your GP offered anything other than medication to help you to manage your symptoms?

>bighugs<

maxie

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2015 06:37PM »
Hi Jazz,
Im a very new member and this is my first post so bare with me if I get things wrong.
I have suffered with back pain for many years due to a cracked vertabra. I had tried every pain killer known to man before my doctor suggested the Pain Clinic.
As soon as started there the consultant asked me if I had tried Gabapentine, which I had and it really didnt agree with me.
He then asked if I had tried Pregabalin, which I hadnt. So he suggested that I go on 75mg morning and night.
After the first few wks I really did start to feel the benifit from it and was able to stand up without using my walking sticks or a walking frame.
I was also starting to suffer with agrophobia again which was making life difficult as I live alone and if I dont go shopping I dont eat lol.
But because I was able to walk a bit better it meant that I started to want to get outside again.
So for me, pregabalin has been a real help. I still get chronic pain but I am able to manage it a lot better now.
Hope I havent rambled on to much x

DeusExMacintosh

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
  • Cartoonist
    • Skepticlawyer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2015 12:11PM »
I've been on pregabalin now for many years having become allergic to carbamazepine and transferred off gabapentin (can't remember why). Thank you so much for mentioning possible mental health symptoms. I've had a great year in terms of pain control, even my balance seems slightly better but my head is doing such weird things that I've actually requested a mental health appointment - and the thought of being mentally ill scares the crap out of me. It would be such a relief if it's just a side effect because I'm too young for dementia.
If you think reality makes sense, you're just not paying attention!

Sunshine

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2015 05:11PM »
So for me, pregabalin has been a real help. I still get chronic pain but I am able to manage it a lot better now.
Hope I havent rambled on to much x

Maxie,

Great first post  >star<

I realised I needed to look up in my old diaries why I stopped taking Pregablin after a couple of months and it was much as DeuxsEM says

the thought of being mentally ill scares the crap out of me.

and I was getting mental health symptoms. My logic was I would have to take Pregablin everyday and have ongoing side affects daily from that, and at the time my Trigeminal Neuralgic pain was coming and going more so I was not taking high does of painkillers all the time so had intermittant side effects. For months now not going out has been more related to the amount of pain I am in than anything else and I need a holiday from it so I plan to take Pregablin soon. Only thing is I cant get an appointment with my GP until end of February.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2015 05:29PM »
Hi and  >welcome< Maxie,

I tried pregabalin at a very low dose, having not got on with gabapentin. Even at that dose I became very tearful and wanted to eat all the time. Having suffered from depression in the past and being in recovery from compulsive eating, I felt that the negatives far outweighed the potential benefits. Of course, I would have loved my pain to be reduced, but that would be no good if I was spending all day in bed crying and eating!

I'm so glad that many people are getting benefit from it - for pain and mental health problems.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2015 07:49PM »
The confusion is scary isn't it?  But there is also the possibility that one has a urinary infection brought on by the medication and that is what is leading to the confusion, rather than directly from the drug itself.  You can always ask for a urine test if you are getting tearful and confused.

Welcome Maxie   >cheerup<