Author Topic: How do I increase my energy  (Read 8055 times)

Yvette

Re: How do I increase my energy
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2014 12:50PM »
Daily Mail Link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2174474/The-GP-gave-fruit-veg-cure-aches-pains.html 

What a wonderful article.   I shall definitely make some changes to my diet in the New Year. It won't be easy as I love my fruit and veg but it is worth a try.

)Edited to correct a spelling mistake.)
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2014 12:55PM by Yvette »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2014 05:17PM »
One of the people responding to that article mentions she is taking Methotrexate.  So I looked it up:

" may cause very serious, life-threatening side effects. You should only take methotrexate to treat cancer or certain other conditions that are very severe and that cannot be treated with other medications."

As for reducing your intake of fruit and veg, well I am sensitive to many foodstuffs including citrus fruit and my energy level is too low to cook vegetables.  So I can safely say that my problems are not related to my intake of fruit and veg. (Unless you count bananas and mango.)  However, everyone is different, as we know.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2014 06:00PM »
Good grief, I've heard it all now after the constant litany of '5 A Day'  >erm<  Is there anything edible in the world that doesn't carry some risk or other?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2014 08:15PM »
Is there anything edible in the world that doesn't carry some risk or other?

The short answer is no.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2014 06:21PM »
I've been on methotrexate for more than 9 years (good grief, hadn't realised it was that long until I checked >omg<), auntie - have to have blood tests every 3 months or so and I take Spatone when they show iron levels getting low... but the MTX has done me nothing but good so far. 
I'm happy with regular blood tests & periodic liver checks; MTX has been amazing at controlling my psoriasis (it's not a cure but keeps it easily manageable).  It's the one medication I wouldn't give up without a row. ;-)  If I became ill & needed antibiotics I'd just miss that week's dose. 

I think the occasional borderline anaemia has to do with what I eat rather than the meds and has probably been unnoticed for a long time before I started on meds that require regular tests. >lol<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2014 08:23PM »
seegee have you heard of Secukinumab a treatment for psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis/news/20140709/new-psoriasis-drug-shows-promise-in-trials

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2014 09:21PM »
There are a few more treatments that have become available recently Dic, but they are expensive so are only offered to people who have found other treatments ineffective or intolerable.  I know someone who seems to have had every possible treatment, but she has difficulty tolerating many of them - and her psoriasis is severe enough for her to be admitted to hospital for weeks at a time more than once each year. 
Mine has never been that bad so far and the MTX was a revelation after all the messy, time-consuming topical treatments that only worked for a few weeks, so I'll stick with it for the time being - until I reach the not-working-any-more stage or develop some of the nasty side-effects that I've not had so far. >x-fingers<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2015 01:54PM »
Leaving aside vitamins, and looking at other things for fatigue, which like others I get from stress and physical & mental illness.

I can't recommend laughter too highly.  Funny music, chats etc.

Also, where music is concerned, experimenting with different sorts of music.  I find some much more bracing than others.

More sunlight - are you spending your time in the best rooms?  It won't go amiss on the vitamin D front either, but I'm thinking of the primative dark = sleep, light = wake effect.

Odd thing for lifting mood that actually helps me - when walking in built up areas, develop an interest in high things like treetops, clouds, architecture around roofs, gables etc., even the tops of lamp-posts and telegraph poles.  Why?  It lifts your head so you walk more upright and 'happier'.  Watch yourself.  I think most sad and tired people look down at the ground. 

Pick some completable items to do.  That makes you feel you've achieved a lot so you feel less awful about not having much energy so you don't lose more energy by feeling bad about not achieving anything.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Yvette

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2015 07:55PM »
Good tips Sunny.  >thumbsup<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2015 11:45PM »
I just wish they were enough by themselves.  The missing factor, of course, is a miracle cure for the cause of the fatigue, but mostly that's absent so we all do our best.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2015 11:56PM »
What about the drugs that some athletes have been known to use?  They might be illegal for them, but not actually be illegal in everyday use.

Yvette

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2015 09:37AM »
I love being on steroids - they make me feel 'normal/ordinary/average'.

Problem is that I can only have them when my asthma is really bad or I have a severe chest infection.  But even though I have to be ill before being prescribed them, they still make me feel fantastic.

Unfortunately, they have severe side effects, so they have to be rationed.  Especially as I have to have steroids injections into my shoulder joints twice a year and into my hand for trigger finger.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2015 10:07AM »
I have been on steroids for several years regular daily dosage. I have put on stones in weight my Achilles tendons are extremely painful and I am now a type II Diabetic  steroids, in particular prednisolone are very dangerous drugs to be taking. They are also anti-prostiglandins.

Yvette

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2015 01:37PM »
That is why docs won't allow people to have long term steroids unless absolutely necessary. 

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2015 05:57PM »
Aren 't there cough mixtures and such simple things that also contain substances banned for elite sportspeople?