Author Topic: How do I increase my energy  (Read 7969 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
How do I increase my energy
« on: 20 Dec 2014 07:33PM »
My energy level has declined with a big jump.  It is most annoying.  Is anyone on anything that increases your energy level?

I have in the past asked the Gp for something but she has refused.  I am going to ask again in the New Year as I already have an appointment for the first week in January - that will make a month I have waited for the appointment.  If I could ask for something specific that would forestall her immediate refusal and at least start a discussion.

Most of it I think is fibromyalgia, part of it depression, which is part and parcel of fibro, part is due to overall body pains, which is again part of fibro.

The obvious answer is to do more exercise.  Well I go to two keep fit places a week - although I have missed one of them for two weeks running because I have been asleep.  The other one I get there late, because I am asleep.   >biggrin<

Any ideas anyone?

Yvette

Re: How do I increase my energy
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2014 08:25PM »
The only thing I can think of is to find an antidepressant that works for you.

I know fibro makes people tired, but depression is a total energy drainer.   >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2014 08:30PM »
If it's a sudden big drop in energy it's worth getting your bloods checked. Low iron or Vitamin B12 for example leave you drained. You can get Spatone on prescription or in chemists which is a days supply of natural iron in mineral water that you can add to a small glass of orange juice each day. As it's in water the iron doesn't upset the digestive system like tablets do.

Vitamin B in meat and dairy.

Also the short days and lack of light won't be helping. After tomorrow each day will be 3 minutes longer, that thought always cheers me!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2014 08:32PM »
SSRI's are the best antidepressants for energy. Or the one I am on, Bupropion but as it's off label it can only be prescribed by a psychiatrist.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2014 08:43PM »
Hi Fiz, one of the reasons I am going to the Gp is to get the results of a few blood test I had some weeks ago.  Usually blood tests show very little, that is fibro for you.  Occasionally when they have shown something up the next set of blood tests show it has gone away.

It is not that I want enough energy to run the marathon, I just want enough to get through a normal day.

>hatandscarf<  I have just noticed this little chappie.  Isn't he sweet.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2014 09:38PM »
A B vitamin supplement is supposed to help. Some of my friends swear by them, but when I tried them they gave me insomnia - it was like I'd been having caffeine. Which I suppose is a sort of energy boost!

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2014 10:22PM »
I take a multi-vitamin tablet every day.  Would vitamin B be different?  Did you take it in the morning or the evening DG and would it make any difference.  I am happy to try anything and the shops will be open next week.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2014 11:09PM »
I took a specific vitamin B tablet, it was a high dose one from Boots or Holland and Barratt. I'm afraid I can't remember the time of day, it probably would have depended on what other pills I was taking at the time.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2014 06:32AM »
I take spatone and cyanocobalamin, the latter being vitamin b12. I was deficient in both at different times so just keep myself topped up with them. The vit b12 I take twice a day and I've not experienced any insomnia with it though I guess you could take it once a day in the morning.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2014 11:29AM »
Multi-vitamins are a shotgun approach, if you are low on a range of vitamins, then good.  If you are low on some, but lower on, for example, vitamin B, then you might need an extra vitamin B capsule/tablet.  However, for Fibro sufferers it's not advisable to self medicate with vitamins.  From my son-in-law's early encounters with it, his GP suggested increasing the protein and Omega-3 intake.

He now carries a bottle of water in his Post-bag as he delivers the mail in the morning and "hydrates" regularly on his round, he says this does help.

Overall, I would suggest a Google search of "Fibromyalgia Diet" as it seems many are finding a lifestyle change rather than medication helps.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2014 01:23PM »
What is also important is the type of B12 to use.  We know now that genetically people do not convert cyano synthetic form still commonly used by doctors, to the active methyl form. So with the methylcobalamin oral costing pennies a day, it is really the one to use today. You have to take it on an empty stomach to get adequate absorption however.

And if you are one of the 10-30% of people with the MTHFR mutation, the cyano will not work for you (nor will folic acid).
You will need both methylcobalamin and methylfolate for replacing those nutrients.

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2014 01:25PM by Dic Penderyn »
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2014 03:45PM »
I too struggle with lack of energy and chronic fatigue and I am finding it increasingly difficult to function. I mentioned it to my rheumatologist a week or so ago and he has booked me onto a two week rehabilitation programme. I had the details through yesterday and it looks like hard work. It's a mixture of aerobic exercises,  circuits, hydrotherapy and other activities. The rehab programme has changed drastically since I last participated so I'm slightly apprehensive about it.  Part of me is also looking forward to it and it will be great to feel fitter and stronger.
Is anything like this available to you Auntie?  A structured exercise programme may help you find your feet again. You have my sympathy.  Lack of energy is very demoralising  >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2014 06:26PM »
Tell me more about the rehabilitation programme ditchdwellers.  Is it just run local to you, what is it called? 

I try to get to hydrotherapy once a week but have been doing it for so long that I am getting bored with the same exercises week after week.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2014 06:37PM »
It's a programme run by the rheumatology unit at Bognor Hospital,  West Sussex.  It used to be a residential programme and it has now changed to a day programme over a two week period.  I don't know if other rheumatology units run similar programmes,  or if you can be referred from outside the area.  The residential programme was great and I have been there 4 times previously,  so I'm hoping the day programme will be just as good.

Sunshine

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2014 11:55AM »
I updated an old thread about Vitamin D and Fibromyalgia http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=8244.15

I do feel like I have more energy now eg less sluggish and heavy feeling. I don't know whether the check for vitamin D levels is in a routine blood test so you probably have to ask. Interestingly enough my Vitamin B and iron levels were okay which surprised me because I had assumed they were an issue so was eating more marmite and meat.

ATurtle,

The idea of a Fibromyalgia diet is an intriguing one especially the point about

Oxalate can be thought of as a ‘natural pesticide’, an integral constituent of many plants, including root vegetables, stems, leaves, nuts and fruit. In fact, in some plants it forms the bulk of their dry weight.

Daily Mail Link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2174474/The-GP-gave-fruit-veg-cure-aches-pains.html

The Government should be putting money into researching conditions like Fibromyalgia.