Author Topic: Concerts...are they really accessible?  (Read 3586 times)

james-1989

• Gold Member
Concerts...are they really accessible?
« on: 17 Feb 2014 03:03AM »
I'm thinking about going to a concert at the Glasgow SSE Hydro but not sure what the view from the wheelchair section/s are like.  >wheelchair< >wheelchair<Don't want to need binoculars   >looking through a telescope<>whistle< I'm assuming other access is ok since it's a newish building though.

Have any of you been to a concert there? I'm always wary of taking the venues word for it.

The band might not even be performing their anyway, but I thought I'd find out anyway.

Achesnpains

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Re: Concerts...are they really accessible?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2014 08:19AM »
I went to SEC a few years ago with my hubby & son to see Cirque du Soleil. The platform gave quite a good view of that show but I don't know if the view of a band would be as good as CdC was a big production with effects etc. Is there a seating plan you can look at to try to judge the distance from the stage?
What was very good at SEC was that the platform didn't have set seating so my family could both sit next to me which some other  venues don't allow. This was a while back so it might have changed I guess.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2014 09:12AM »
Most are okay. I used to go to a lot of concerts during my music journalist days and although my impairment wasn't as bad then, I found that most venues had decent disabled places, although it was usually better if you told them before as spaces were limited. Most of the time I used the 'normal' seating though.

I don't go to many anymore (too old to rock'n'roll) and nowadays can't stand for more than a couple of minutes so I need to use my wheelchair. The last few major shows I've seen (Pulp at Sheffield Arena, Richard Hawley in a park in Sheffield and the B-52s at Manchester Academy) I've been chaired up and have been given a decent viewing position and equally as important have been treated with respect by the venue staff - something that hasn't always been the case in the past.

A lot depends on the attitude of the staff. In my pre-wheelchair days I went to see the Beautiful South at the same venue and came up against a total prick of a security man who seemed determined to attract as much attention towards me and make me feel as uncomfortable as possible just because I had to go down a few steps to get to my seat. Of course, making sure that everyone in the whole block was looking at me was really going to help me relax and help me settle in, wasn't it? I could have written it off as a misguided attempt to help me if he hadn't later made a contemptuous 'who needs friends like that?' comment to my female companion. Prick.

I've had the odd moment at smaller - standing - venues in the past too, like the guy who wouldn't let me go through a door that my friends had just gone through (couldn't quite work that one out) and once when I slipped and fell on my way into a venue (it was a wet night) instead of just letting me get up in my own time two of the bouncers (one of whom I've known for years. In fact we share the same surname) grabbed me, pulled me up and dragged me inside. As they had me under the armpits I couldn't do anything about my legs totally stiffening up, so I was absolutely rigid by the time they found me a seat. Still, unlike the prick at the Arena they genuinely thought they were being helpful and they'll know not to do it if it happens again.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2014 09:16AM »
"I went to see the Beautiful South at the same venue."

That's Sheffield Arena or whatever it's called nowadays.

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2014 02:19AM »
I thought I would just go for it and see what it's like - I booked tickets for Still Game: Live (not what I first mentioned). I managed to get the better seats. I also got an unexpected surprise, I got a free carers ticket. At least I'll know if I want to see concerts in the future - I'll be sure to let you know what it's like.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2014 09:26AM »
Nice one. Some places do free carers' tickets, some don't and at some places it depends on what the show is. I'd love to see Still Game live.

By the way, since you're in Scotland did you see Jim Davidson's interview in the Daily Record, where he tries to present himself as a nice guy until the subject of disability comes up? The guy really hasn't got a clue. Bigoted arsewipe.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity-interviews/jim-davidson-laughs-critics-who-3160899

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2014 04:23PM »

By the way, since you're in Scotland did you see Jim Davidson's interview in the Daily Record, where he tries to present himself as a nice guy until the subject of disability comes up? The guy really hasn't got a clue. Bigoted arsewipe.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity-interviews/jim-davidson-laughs-critics-who-3160899

Clearly he knows the way the wind is blowing and that disability hate is the only thing that is considered acceptable these days!

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2014 02:30AM »
What a complete and utter b***tard that man is. He should be glad that they were laughing at his jokes.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2014 06:46AM »
All people in wheelchairs 'howl' do they? Well if I was one of them any howling I'd do certainly wouldn't be with laughter.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2014 11:53AM »
Still Game live - I'm so envious, James. Have a great time at the show. >thumbsup<

As for that Davidson sphincter, I think Laurence Clark put it best when he said "I too would refuse to perform if Jim Davidson was in the audience."

james-1989

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2014 07:24PM »
Thanks NN  ;-) His reason for wanting them moved was shite. 

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2014 05:36PM »
I've found that a lot of concerts in professional venues have platforms for wheelchairs, but they're often quite far from the stage. In some cases, that might be for the best, but I would have liked to get a closer view of AC/DC when I saw them.