Author Topic: 12 years a slave  (Read 2155 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
12 years a slave
« on: 19 Jan 2014 10:07AM »
Anyone seen it?

I went yesterday with dd and her partner. I considered walking out part way in to it as I could barely cope with watching. It was harrowing and draining. The opposite of uplifting. Just watching torture and pain and despair for 2 hours. It should not be a 15 certificate, it needs to be an 18. The acting and directing may be brilliant and I can understand why people are saying it should sweep the boards at the Oscars BUT, I do not recommend this film. You'd need to be far tougher than me. Which I realise isn't difficult!

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 12 years a slave
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2014 11:51AM »
yes I have seen it. And it is a harrowing film to watch, and it makes  me sick to think that so many of our countrymen and women especially our Royal Family and Aristocracy were so involved in the slave trade and made fortunes from the suffering of so many people.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2014 05:29PM »
Thanks for the warning Fiz.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2014 06:16PM »
I must add that though that, as harrowing and in parts uncomfortable to watch as it is it's  an amazing film and should in my opinion sweep the board for Oscars.

It reminds me to some degree of the emotions I felt when I first saw the film Soldier Blue in the seventies.

Yvette

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2014 06:54PM »
I know it doesn't compare with sending six year old boys and girls down the mines and sending little children up chimneys but the people in power did not consider black people or the working classes as human beings.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2014 08:09PM »
Though William Wilberforce was opposed to slavery and cruelty to animals he did not seem to care very much about conditions the working class of Britain had to live under. 

starsmurf

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2014 04:15AM »
I remember reading a book in which a woman, who had been born into an upper-class family, witnessed an accident as a child (probably around 1900).  She was with her grandmother and they saw a farm-girl who'd been caught under the wheels of a cart, the poor girl was screaming in pain. 

The grandmother turned round to her granddaughter and said, "Don't distress yourself, my dear.  They don't feel pain as we do."
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2014 08:21AM »
In the film a female slave arrived at her new plantation crying and the property owners wife asked them why she was crying and when told it was because she had just been separated from her children she turned to the crying woman and told her she would be ok and that she would have forgotton her children in a day or two.