Author Topic: Speech Impediment  (Read 3067 times)

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Speech Impediment
« on: 07 Oct 2013 10:56PM »
Talking to Grandson's GF Emily today it came up that her tutor at a local college where she is on a Health and Child Care course has told her that she could be removed from the course because of her speech as she has a slight impediment and is unable to pronounce certain words properly for example three pronounced as free she was told how can you teach children to speak properly if you yourself can't. I think that as her impediment is beyond her control as it has a physical basis this is a little unfair if not discriminatory.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

devine63

Re: Speech Impediment
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2013 11:30PM »
Hi Dic

assuming that this is actually a speech impairment (i.e. she actually cannot say the words correctly, rather than Emily is lacking the knowledge of how they should be pronounced) then she is almost certainly protected by the Equality ACt (2010) which replaced the disability discrimination acts.   Unless the tutor can demonstrate why correct pronunciation is an essential academic standard for the course and there is absolutely no way to make a reasonable adjustment to accommodate  her impairment, then he is running the risk of discriminating against E in a way that could be illegal.   She needs to talk to the Disability Service or Learning Support people at the college immediately and get their support on this.
regards, Deb

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2013 11:49PM »
Yes Deb more or less my thoughts on the matter. Definitely a physical impediment she knows how the words should sound but cannot physically produce the syllables  she is very upset but delving into it a little more deeply I think it was more an implication based on the tutors opinion that with this problem she may not be able to get a placement and there fore could not complete the course thus totally undermining her confidence in what she is doing.   >angry<

I mean the girl got an "A" star in GCSE Drama studies and in most respects is very articulate.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2013 03:50PM »
Health & Child Care doesn't mean she will be teaching anyone to speak (not planning to be a speech therapist, is she?).  In any case, children hear a wide variety of people speaking & learn to use different ways of speaking for different situations very readily. 
If the tutor doesn't know that it's just as well they aren't working in language development. ;-)

Development of terms such as "silly berk" comes to mind regarding the tutor.  >devil<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2013 06:27PM »
Precisely she plans on being a nursery nurse. What the tutor said was foolish and very insensitive.

devine63

« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 2013 01:32AM »
Yes and if she talks to the Disability Service / Learning support they will be able to use it as an opportunity to address the tutor's attitudes

regards, Deb

starsmurf

« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct 2013 10:12AM »
I strongly agree with Deb, Emily really needs to contact the college's Disability Services ASAP.  This tutor could cause her problems with placements (such as telling a prospective placement that she wouldn't be suitable).  By the time any of that had been discovered, the damage would've been done and impossible to undo (eg the placement would've been given to another student).

I experienced trouble like this and I initially did nothing about it, not wanting to rock the boat.  By the time the attitudes to me caused problems and I did complain, it was too late.  It is fairly easy to prevent the kind of problems I faced but almost impossible to undo the damage, even if it is recognised that they were as a result of disability discrimination.

Please emphasise to Emily that by taking action, she is not going to cause problems for herself, she'll prevent them.  This tutor could be the one who writes her references, arranges placements, or marks the placement.  By taking action now, she could prevent her dreams from being taken away.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2013 06:16PM by starsmurf »
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 09 Oct 2013 02:07PM »
Seconding Deb and Starsmurf.

Discrimination of this nature must be nipped in the bud, and quickly.

Wishing Emily all the very best >hugs<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2013 06:27PM »
Yes I agree will have a quiet talk with her and get her to talk to the disability Services I think she has spoken to them before on an unrelated matter.

Thanks every body for your input on this.

Peggythepirate

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2013 06:59PM »
children hear a wide variety of people speaking
Children of immigrants grow up speaking English as any other native English speaker does even if their parents speak 'accented English' or no English. As a nursery nurse she will nourish children's language development by using a wide vocabulary, reading to them etc. The children will easily pick up exactly which of the many ways of pronouncing words that they hear is considered 'correct' in their area.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2013 01:48PM »
It is like saying someone from Glasgow could not teach in southern England because they have a accent which means they pronounce J jay as J ji.

The tutor is a ignoramus.

Yvette

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2013 01:52PM »
Ditto. With bells on too!!