Author Topic: Oxygen assessment.  (Read 2370 times)

AccessOfficer

Oxygen assessment.
« on: 11 Sep 2013 08:29AM »
Hi Gang,
I have an appointment with the Respiratory Assessment Service at my local NHS hospital on Friday this week.

The appointment is with the oxygen assessment service department as my COPD consultant has reccomended that I have a portable oxygen cylindar in a backpack with me at all times.

This is to allow me to take a few whiffs so that my blood oxygen levels increase if I have to do anything that involves excerting myself in any way - for example going from my workstation to the loo which involves a 20m hobble on my crutches.

Have any Ouchers any experience of this type of assessment and what is involved?

Thanks
AO

The hospital have told me to allow 2 hours for my assessment,

Thanks
AO
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2013 07:11PM by AccessOfficer »

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Oxygen assessment.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2013 01:56PM »
I don't have any experience of this - but I hope it goes well for you.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2013 04:10PM »
I did once spend a couple of hours in the lung function lab at Deriford it was a little grueling but not to bad they where checking to see if my respiration was good enough for me to be discharged after a Myasthenic crisis so not really the same thing I know.

Sorry  meant to add good look and I'm sure they won't subject you to anything too strenuous.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2013 08:22PM by Dic Penderyn »
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

starsmurf

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2013 07:53PM »
I had something that sounds similar several years ago, when my mobility was much better.

They had me perform various tasks while wearing an oxygen sats monitor (the thing that they put on your finger) and sometimes an oxygen mask.  They started off gently, with actions like sitting for a minute, then progressed to standing up and then walking.  I had to repeat some actions, in order for them to get a more accurate result and in some cases to see how my oxygen function changed when I repeated actions or how it changed if I was given oxygen.

At the end they did have me jogging on a treadmill wearing an oxygen mask but I was much more mobile at the time.  I doubt they would ask me to do that now!

It was tiring but it wasn't painful and didn't leave me gasping for breath until the last test, which was actually the aim of it, to see how much I could do and what happened when I became exhausted.  I was quickly helped to a seat at the end of that test and given pure oxygen to help me recover more quickly.  They then gave me a drink (and a Mars Bar!) to get my fluid and sugar levels back up.

If I found anything painful or couldn't take any more, I could just indicate to them and stop immediately.

I hope it goes well for you, good luck >x-fingers<
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

AccessOfficer

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2013 08:45AM »
Thank you so much Starsmurf your detailed reply was appreciated.

A treadmill! Eek I am barely able to walk so I am realy not looking forward to that one! When I leave work I get out of breath and have to stop when I reach the lift and that is only about 15m away from my desk.

My car is parked in a designated place right outside the Council offices about 40m from the lift exit and I have to stop and rest at least twice to catch my breath before I reach the car.

I really hope that they offer me a small oxygen backpack and that the stuff will improve my breathing ability.

Thanks to all who offered me good wishes, I shall post and let you all know how the assessment went.

Thanks
AO

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2013 08:22PM »
I hope that you can get to enjoy some of the assessment.   >hugs<

starsmurf

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2013 08:39PM »
Thank you so much Starsmurf your detailed reply was appreciated.

A treadmill! Eek I am barely able to walk so I am realy not looking forward to that one! When I leave work I get out of breath and have to stop when I reach the lift and that is only about 15m away from my desk.

My car is parked in a designated place right outside the Council offices about 40m from the lift exit and I have to stop and rest at least twice to catch my breath before I reach the car.

I really hope that they offer me a small oxygen backpack and that the stuff will improve my breathing ability.

Thanks to all who offered me good wishes, I shall post and let you all know how the assessment went.

Thanks
AO

I very much doubt they'll do the treadmill test if your mobility is so limited, as they won't need it to get you out of breath. 
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

WheeledTraveler

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2013 09:26PM »
I doubt they'll push you to walk on the treadmill. It sounds like they go far enough to see when it is that you get short of breath.

I don't know what your options will be, but you may want to ask about a portable oxygen concentrator. POCs actually take air and separate the oxygen out. It means that you don't have to deal with oxygen tanks (which tend to be heavy and bulky, plus you need to get refilled). Also, if you ever travel by plane, most POCs are safe for planes and are far less hassle and expense than using oxygen (generally airlines provide their own oxygen so that they know that it's safe, but, at least in the US, the amount they can charge for the oxygen is ridiculous).