Author Topic: Elderly disabled relatives  (Read 2544 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Elderly disabled relatives
« on: 07 Sep 2013 08:59PM »
My elderly step-mother has been in hospital. She is getting rather hard of hearing and her sight has deteriorated considerably over the past few weeks.  Anyway, she has had a strong pain in her left side for over a week.  When she phoned her GP, again, he told her to phone 999 get an ambulance and get A&E to do an X-ray.  She should be back home by tea-time. 

When I visited her in hospital on Thursday she had been in there a week!  They had done the X-ray only earlier that day and found nothing wrong.  She refused more painkillers when they were offered, and now she is back home again having had a nice rest, someone to cook her meals and look after her.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Elderly disabled relatives
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2013 09:14PM »
I bet her GP has a large notice in his practice exhorting us all to use 999 calls and A&E  responsibly.

Mind you its one good way of getting respite care and a weeks nice rest with meals provided good for her, as long as she is no longer in pain that is.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2013 10:00PM »
Well it is time for her to say 'I told you so' . 

Turns out that she has a fracture in her back and will be on calcium injections for some weeks.  Crikey.  I have not yet heard how they found this as the X-ray was supposed to show nothing up.

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2013 10:08PM »
I still love the campaign on tv about having had a cough for more than three weeks! I bet gp's everywhere loved that one lol. Hypochondriacs charter.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2013 11:20PM »
It's not always the X-Ray but who is looking at it somethings will not be very evident at first look but when examined again by someone with more expertise will be found. 

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2013 08:19PM »
She has had a fracture in her back in the past.  But when I was there she did tell me she was going to have calcium injections.  So maybe she was told but did not pass the information on to anyone in the family.

This makes me wonder why the Dr/nurses did not tell one of us.

Hi Silverstar, I do not have a TV so do not know the ad you are talking about.

devine63

« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2013 08:49PM »
hi auntie

unless your relative is non compos mentis the staff have to obey any requests she makes about confidentiality - so she could easily have told them not to tell the relatives as she wanted to tell you herself...

The advert is an NHS advisory saying "if you have had a cough more than 3 weeks, see your GP so they can rule out anything serious."
regards, Deb

Yvette

« Reply #7 on: 09 Sep 2013 09:42AM »
Poor woman.  Being in pain all that time.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 09 Sep 2013 12:29PM »
In 1994 my mother fell and fractured her hip for twelve weeks her GP kept telling her it was just a strain and to keep mobile and under no circumstances to use a stick as she would become dependent on it so mistakes do some times happen It was only when a radiologist decided when doing a chest X-Ray to go the extra mile seeing her limping  and X-Rayed her hip as well that it was discovered.

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #9 on: 09 Sep 2013 03:04PM »
It was a tv add running a few months ago saying that if you had a cough for more than 3 weeks it could be serious, ie lung cancer and to see your GP asap, as I said I know GP's loved that one, they were inundated with people coming in. I know they have to raise awareness but it seems like it is an either all or nothing response. People with nothing seriously wrong with them will come in all the time and those who the ad is aimed at will probably choose to ignore it because it is seen as scare-mongering.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 09 Sep 2013 09:22PM »
I used to know a young man who broke his hip and ignored it and just limped around the place.  Noone took any notice as he had always been a bit peculiar anyway.  Turned out that he was eating so badly that he had osteoporosis - he was around 20 years old.

Anyone got any more cheerful stories?

devine63

« Reply #11 on: 09 Sep 2013 11:39PM »
yes ... but I don't think we really need to hear them!
regards, Deb