Author Topic: to stop medication gradually or suddenly?  (Read 16392 times)

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
Re: to stop medication gradually or suddenly?
« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2013 09:34PM »
Can't help for tonight's pill, but my pharmacist has in the past cut pills in half for me - they have some kind of cutter. Hope you get it sorted.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2013 09:38PM »
You can buy a pill cutter they are not expensive I used to have one for my Pyridostigmine tablets but not sure if suitable for very small tabs.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2013 09:42PM »
I wonder if I could use a nail file to saw away at it, being that tomorrow is Sunday and then a Bank Holiday.  I did not plan this very well, did I.

starsmurf

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2013 09:58PM »
Why don't you stick at the half-pill for a few days Auntie?  Anti-ds can take more than 24 hours to clear your system, so you might not be feeling the full effects of your reduction yet.  The standard period between reductions is seven days. 

I know you want to get off that particular drug but if you reduce too quickly, you'd have to raise the dose again. As you've had serotonin syndrome, this really isn't something you want to mess with, as the withdrawal could be much worse than normal.  Should you reduce too quickly, it might result in you becoming severely depressed or have physical symptoms that could be very unpleasant.  Remember you're messing with your brain here!  :-)

More rush, less haste  ;-)
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2013 10:28PM »
Hmm.  I've been on half a pill for three days now.  I'd really like to have some energy.

I don't feel ready to take half on alternate days or rather I am worried about inducing some new/awful side effects by going too fast by trying taking it on alternate days only.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2013 11:14PM »
which anti-d are you withdrawing from auntie? Is it a tricyclic?

devine63

« Reply #21 on: 25 Aug 2013 12:12AM »
Taking the pill on alternative days isn't a great idea as it means the level of the drug in your system would cycle up and down quite a lot, it would be better to cut the pills up so that you can take the same amount each day, your pharmacist should be able to supply a simple gadget for pill cutting.
regards, Deb

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: 25 Aug 2013 12:22AM »
I wish I had known that when I went to talk to him about how to come off the medication.  He suggested cutting the pills into three-quarters.  I just did not think to ask about a gadget to help. ( Not thinking clearly is one of the side effects I find quite annoying.)

devine63

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2013 12:40AM »
A pill cutter gadget has a small blade, much like a razor blade.   But a small very sharp knife should be OK.
regards, Deb

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2013 12:29PM »
Or maybe a single edged razor blade would cut it, or a modeling knife as in a Stanly knife blade.

Achesnpains

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2013 02:11PM »
I have bitten tablets in pieces before now. It was amytriptilline & doesn't have a scored line on it to halve it. though i could manage to do that in my fingers. When I tried to quarter it it was too tricky so easier to bite the half in half. My hospital consultant said his wife does the same!

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2013 02:35PM »
only recently done it with a docs direction....  what was impressd on me was to do it slowly so that it didnt leave my body, ( which by then saw it as a normal part of my blood composition ) didnt miss it to much and too suddenly. Psch drugs dont only effect our minds they effect our bodies too so taking them away suddenly makes the body think something thats always been there has been taken away and the body tells your mind something is missing.. the faster you do this the more your body feels the lack..It can actually be physically dangerous too.. I know just from the "forgetting to take my pills" thing that they are firmly embedded in the way my mind and body works soid always do the slow reducing
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2013 08:37PM »
And have you done it successfully myrtlemaid, or were you put onto something different afterwards?

As for how to break a pill - I had found that biting this little pill in half was the only way to divide it up.  Last night I went at it with a pair of nail scissors for a change - and I got thirds.  Two bits were whole and the final third was in bits.  So I took a third as a sensible way of cutting down. 

I hardly slept a wink all night;  on the positive side I have a feeling that I have had less of the hot sweats today and I am sure that I feel less ill.  Hurrah!!

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2013 10:06PM »
that's good news  >thumbsup<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2013 10:09PM »
If the pill was soluble you could dissolve it in a glass of water and drink half the glass.