Author Topic: Chat about anti-depressants  (Read 12901 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
Re: Chat about anti-depressants
« Reply #45 on: 14 Jun 2013 08:38PM »
Aunite, if you're able to tolerate is, Cetirizine is a non-drowsy antihistamine that's particularly good for itching, but yes - talk over any potential interactions with the pharmacist.

But I hope that your doctor has been able to sort something out for you, so that the problem doesn't arise in the first place.  >hugs<

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/allergy-and-asthma/medicines/zirtek-allergy-tablets.html

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jun 2013 08:39PM »
Thank you for asking Mabelcat.

I think I annoyed the receptionist.  I went in and she was talking quietly on the phone and I cannot stand for long.  I got to the end of being able to stand (maybe 20 seconds) and thought I would sit down, but if you do not say you are here they do not put you on the list to see the Dr, and I had to get to physiotherapy soon afterwards.  I suddenly snapped and raised my voice and said far too forcefully that I had only come in to see when my appointment was and I would come back, then I stormed out.  It is like having a teenage tantrum.  Very embarrassing.

I had to go to the chemist to change some pills anyway (wrong brand) so did that and went back to the surgery.  Luckily another receptionist saw to me, though the first one was there and gave me a dirty look.  Now I was 10 minutes late for my appointment.  More internal embarrassment.

To cut a long story short I got some seroxat, that I have not taken for many years.  So when the side effects of the last anti d's have worn off, I'll try that.

I did not like the Gp I saw.  She was not of the caring variety.  And I do not like being told personal things about the Dr.  Out of the blue when she had asked me what the side effects are, she interrupted me as I was trying to think (left my list at home) and told me that paracetamol gave her headaches - infact I think she told me that twice.  On reflection I think she was trying to tell me that all medication has side effects.

Another embarrassment: when I entered the Drs room I was in tears.  I am now very sensitive to loud noises.  There were two mothers with assorted children in the waiting room and the mothers were talking really loudly.  The waiting room is really echoey and the noise was driving me nuts.

All-in-all an appointment I think I will try to just forget.

(Bet you are sorry you asked, Mabelcat  >lol<)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jun 2013 08:47PM »
NN, thanks, as you can see from the above - I was not in a situation where I could have a sensible conversation about itches - although I did tell the Dr about them, and did a few scratches whilst I was in there. 

As the side effects wear off I am hoping that they will just go away - the rash has subsided and I am now just rather spotty (Oooo do turn away if that is too much info), and it is 2 days since I stopped taking the anti d's and before that I did two days of half a pill.

(O come on, someone must have a funny story to tell about itches to cheer us all up.)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: 14 Jun 2013 09:01PM »
Auntie, sorry to hear you'd a rough time at the surgery, but don't worry about the receptionist. Most medical receptionists have hides like leather, and any who have done the proper AMSPAR training will have had a stint behind the desk at A&E, and experienced things far worse than anything you could ever throw at them, including having things actually thrown at them! >hugs<

I only know this, because I thought about training as a medical receptionist back before I realised that the world of 'normal' employment is just off the limits for me. I figured that, having spent so much time in hospitals and GP surgeries over the years, I might as well have a crack at working in one >lol<

Can't oblige with any amusing stories about the itchies, though. They're just too damned annoying to be amusing!

devine63

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jun 2013 12:45AM »
how about an interesting fact instead?    There was a recent medical report to say that they have identified a new neurotransmitter - and it is completely specific - it's the NT involved in itching, if you remove it from the nervous system, the person stops itching!  This could be important as they used to think itching was part of the pain cycle - and it's now .known it is not.   Could help some people a lot - apparently one woman itched her head so much she broke through the skull to her brain!!!!

regards, Deb

starsmurf

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jun 2013 05:35PM »
I developed an allergy to the starch on the bedlinen when I was at university retaking some exams I'd failed/missed due to my condition.  I was clawing my skin off and I couldn't concentrate on my revision due to the itching.  When I went to Boots to get some antihistamines, I was desperate to stop the itching now.  I don't know why the assistant didn't give me Eurax, instead he recommended calamine lotion!  I dabbed that stuff on constantly, as the cool feeling gave temporary relief.  As I had to keep using the sheets, I was still itchy after days on the antihistamines.

When I went in to sit my first exam, I couldn't take the bottle to the desk, in case the noise of using it distracted other people.  However, I was covered in a white/pink layer that was flaking slightly.  One guy asked me what was wrong, when I said I had an allergy to the bed sheets, he looked horrified and edged away.  It was only after the exam was over that I realised he thought the flaking white stuff was my skin. >blush<
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: 15 Jun 2013 11:39PM »
That made me laugh starsmurf!  Oh devine, how awful for that woman!

Luckily the itches are much less now - they were directly related to the pills.  But it has been one of the factors stopping me from going out - one looks so silly scratching one's back in public, and as for scratching under the under wires of one's bra ..!

devine63

« Reply #52 on: 16 Jun 2013 12:41AM »
Hi Starsmurf

for future ref: calamine cream may help a little, but the lotion dries out and makes itching worse ....  the best treatment is def an anti-histamine!!!

regards, Deb

starsmurf

« Reply #53 on: 16 Jun 2013 09:50AM »
Hi Starsmurf

for future ref: calamine cream may help a little, but the lotion dries out and makes itching worse ....  the best treatment is def an anti-histamine!!!

regards, Deb

I know, that's why I was surprised I wasn't given Eurax or something.  When I told my dad about it, he hit the roof and wrote to Boots to complain about poor advice.  I think my dad felt a bit guilty for not telling me to get a prescription for something useful.
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

Yvette

« Reply #54 on: 16 Jun 2013 10:19AM »
I am now very sensitive to loud noises.

Me too.  So I keep a pair of ear plugs in my bag. They don't prevent the noise completely but do minimize it to a tolerable level.

Yvette

« Reply #55 on: 16 Jun 2013 10:21AM »
Auntie, instant reactions are exactly what I experience too. And my voice gets louder too.

Is it possible to take a rollator with a seat with you to situations where you may have to stand?

Or one of those sticks with a seat?

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: 16 Jun 2013 12:27PM »
I am now very sensitive to loud noises.

Me too.  So I keep a pair of ear plugs in my bag. They don't prevent the noise completely but do minimize it to a tolerable level.

Me too  >thumbsup<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: 17 Jun 2013 02:15AM »
What I normally do, Yvette, is use one of those old-fashioned wicker trolleys on two wheels, with a foot instead of the third wheel.  They are really good.  You can lean on them as necessary and they take the shopping/general luggage that one needs to have around one.  People have been known to stop me to say what a good idea it is.  And there is no stigma involved either, you know what I mean

So, with trolley in one hand and doggie's lead in the other I am ready for action.

But at the time of the Dr's appointment all I needed to take was my handbag.  So no trolley.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: 20 Jun 2013 12:15AM »
I decided to wait until the side affects of the last anti d's wore off before launching into the next lot.  Gosh, I am getting some very severe effects taking nothing at all.  I'm wondering whether I should continue with this or start the next type of anti d's.  The new Dr asked me what anti d's I wanted, as though I know all about the different types.  So I plumped for one whose name I could remember seroxat.  I have not taken any yet though.

As it takes 10 days to get an appointment with a Dr please do you think I should take the seroxat and see if they help.  I am really worried about going on holiday in a few weeks and spending most of it in beds various.  Or maybe I should make a huge effort and turn up on the Gp's doorstep at 8 am and refuse to go away until seen.  They hate it when I do that.   >lol<

devine63

« Reply #59 on: 20 Jun 2013 12:22AM »
Hi auntie

the doc prescribed the Seroxat for you, presumably she meant you to take them ...   so I'm a bit puzzled why you seem to be asking us this question?   If you are unsure, discuss it with your Pharmacist

regards, Deb