Author Topic: Mental health measures 2012 Wales  (Read 1998 times)

Becca7

Mental health measures 2012 Wales
« on: 21 Jul 2012 04:32PM »
Folks, ive been trying, and failing to find info on this. Its to do with changes to cmht care in wales. My psychiatrist and care co ordinator have told me its major and why i can no longer have support in my weekly appt as thats now not allowed. Likewise cmht can only see v severely mentally ill and short term. Can anyone help? Links would help (cant access now but have pc access monday at library) I cant find them.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Mental health measures 2012 Wales
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2012 05:50PM »
Rummaging around the net, this is all I can find...

Wales, like the rest of the UK, seems to be reviewing the use of secondary care vs. primary care in relation to mental health in accordance with up to date research on good practice.

The Welsh Assembly appears to be anticipating the publication of referral criteria for the whole of Wales but if they've been published yet, I can't find them.

In the meantime, it will be down to local commissioners, which here would be PCTs and there I think you call boards.  They are likely to be going in the same sort of direction as England in terms of a long-term shift in terms of what sort of cases secondary care handles and what sort of cases primary care handles.

In England, as in a number of other countries, secondary care is now putting more of its resources into early intervention and in order to do so has to take money from elsewhere.  There is also more of an emphasis on keeping people in their own  homes and if you live somewhere where there's a new hospital, especially if it's PFI, there are likely to be fewer beds.  This means that home treatment/crisis teams are likely to be overloaded.

It's been the case here in parts of England for many years now that you don't just have to need secondary care, you have to need it more than others.  With the recession leading to a rise in mental health problems, this is putting even more pressure on the system.

I expect someone with more knowledge of Wales will fill in gaps.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Becca7

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2012 06:41PM »
Thanku. That helps.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2012 01:37AM »
BTW, with a BPD dx, it doesn't really matter what the policy is, they'll struggle to find the resources to deal with you and you don't provide a nice rapid recovery to give them good job satisfaction.  If you live somewhere where they're properly geared up to helping people with BPD, you're lucky.  Let's be blunt, a proportion of people with BPD can be utterly exasperating because the very nature of their condition is at odds with how mental health services operate, which is down to their inadequacy, not yours.

I'm going to stereotype here, but you know me well enough to know I am just using this to illustrate my point because I do realise that you just have to have a selection of traits not all of them to get the DX, if you have BPD, you probably have problems relating to people.  People providing mental health services are used to handling people who reject them.  That's fine, you either tell them to go away or you force them to accept treatment then tell them to go away.  Job done.  If they complain, write the complaint off as a symptom of mental illness.

But people with BPD (stereotype warning!) can often be demanding.  They know they need help.  They know they've got a problem.  They want help but they don't know what sort and quite frankly nor do half the people helping them. 

I have bipolar disorder.  Three psychiatrists have dabbled with the idea that I have BPD.  All three have changed their minds.  What triggered the dx?  Me being  bolshy about something.

I can say in no uncertain terms that with exactly the same symptoms but with different diagnoses, I was treated very differently.  I was treated horribly when they thought I'd got BPD.

I don't know what the answer is.  Part of it I've said to you in the past, is to try to pin down what help you need and ask for it because this short-circuits their panic about you being over-demanding and unhelpable. 

I think this was a breakthrough document although it doesn't go far enough and I don't know what there is that's more recent - http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4009546   ("Personality disorder: no longer a diagnosis of exclusion - policy implementation guidance for the development of services for people with personality disorder")

Sorry that was a bit rambly.

Have you looked for local policies rather than Wales-wide policies?

>hugs<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Becca7

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2012 08:33AM »
Thanks. The local policy is useless - just says changes due to these measures. Its all looking suspicious frankly.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2012 01:46PM »
 >bighugs<

Becca7

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2012 12:57AM »
Hm. Found some info. The measures are geared towards positive recovery, building on what patients can do and moving, via timely goals towards eventual employment and full social interaction. This sounds like that **** about ESA. In fact reading what i have sounds like it was written by Grayling et al. Its being hailed by MH charities, maybe im being cynical here but it sounds v ESA like to me.