Author Topic: Cook book reserch  (Read 7803 times)

Am_I_Me?

Cook book reserch
« on: 02 Apr 2012 11:37PM »
Hi everyone

I'm new here so sorry if this has already been done, or anything like that

First off, I'd better introduce myself, and why i want to do this. My names Daniel, I'm a undergraduate studding nutrition, Health and Lifestyles. Now, while my disabilities don't stop me from cooking (I actually think they help me) I do know that for some people it does. And i know this can lead to malnutrition and other health issues. This obviously particularly close to my heart since i study nutrition.

Now, What I intend to do is to write (with help) as many healthy recipes as I can, that can fit with different peoples limitations. So for example, I know that when i'm particularly bad with my depression, I don't like using knives when cooking, so i'd have a section on knife less recipes.

OK so what i really want to ask for now, is if anyone has any other ideas for sections I should include.

I have seen the healthy eating thread, and that's what sparked this idea in my head, I want to take that to the next level, and have a proper book, that can help raise awareness and help everyone cook healthily

Thanks in advance
and sorry if my wording of somethings is bad, i'm not good with words, and phrasing things in the best way

hossylass

Re: Cook book reserch
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2012 12:16AM »
Wow. >biggrin<

Thats cool >cool<

Dont ask me though, I can fail the cooking test just walking past a kitchen...

hossylass

« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2012 12:19AM »
And dont forget to say where you got the inspiration from ;)

Really cool idea though.

Am_I_Me?

« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2012 12:31AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Hossylass. If this book makes it to print, I'll be sure to add reference to this forum, even to the thread

Currently (from talking to people I know) I have come up with the following sections

Knife-less foods
Microwave and kettle magic
Food in 5 (a section that requires less than 10 minutes standing\kitchen work at any one time)
Food for later (dishes that can be prepared and frozen or keep for long periods of time)
and obviously, a puddings section with a mix of the above.

Any other ideas for sections anyone?

hossylass

« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2012 12:45AM »
I can give you a food in 5 recipe. Possibly no knives either if you have hands that can break up bits of cheese :)

Boil pasta (dont watch it, sit down and have a cuppa). Drain and add a tin of tomato soup and a tin of tuna (optional, or whatever you fancy) and some chilli powder (again optional).
Shove some cheese on top, chunky lumpy bits are fine.
Shove in oven and / or grill until cheese has melted.

Variation; adding more cheese and melting it into the pasta mix, giving an easy macaroni cheese, but you have to stand for a bit longer, so I dont make that one any more.

Am_I_Me?

« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2012 01:02AM »
I'll add that to my file :) Sounds nice, Might have to try that

Thanks again :)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2012 09:11AM »
Cook pasta, drain. Stir in several spoonsful of pesto and some grated cheese. Voila - lunch.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2012 09:50AM »
Great idea especially the sections you mentioned so far.

A section on gadgets and utensils would help eg I have a pan that has a colander that sits inside it which means if I cook pasta I dont have to lift the whole pan just the colander. Also there is a new gadget called an Airfryer that is saferand healthier to use than a fat fryer.

Also maybe a cooking for two section which gives ideas and recipes for people who need help cooking but still want to cook. For example my partner does not like cooking much, he will help me but he gets grumpy if I sound bossy, now if I had a book that said now cooks helper grates the cheese or chops the veg that would be wonderful. I hope that idea does not sound ridiculous I am not sure I found the right words to explain what I meant.

hossylass

« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2012 09:56AM »
Ooooh yes, a gadgets list.

There is a thread on disability gadgets that I think has some good ones - by good ones I mean ones that work! >lol<

hossylass

« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2012 10:00AM »
Will you be including calories and GI's?

Will it include how to make these dishes suitable for those who are gluten intolerant, or diabetic, or are you thinking of just having a star rating system for each recipe?

With a star rating system you could just put an explanatory section in the front...

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2012 10:16AM »
Recipesfor slow cooker so everything can just be put in raw and when cooked  it can be eaten any time and using a ladle no need to lift heavy pans
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 03 Apr 2012 10:42AM »
Could you indicate how much clearing up will be needed at the end of each recipe?  I find that sometimes I have the energy to cook, and then find I can't manage the amount of washing up created.

How about one pan recipes?  No oven recipes?

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 03 Apr 2012 10:44AM »
Hi there Am_I_Me  :-)

What a fantastic idea!

For microwave recipes, the humble baked potato is pretty good, although it doesn't count as knifeless, and wouldn't be easy for anyone with wonky wrists or shoulders. Cottage cheese makes a nice, virtuous filling, but shop bought chilli sauce, baked beans, tomato pesto and good old cheddar are all good as well. It has the advantage of being very quick for those of us who sometimes can't stay upright for that long.

Glad to hear that other people are fans of tomato soup on pasta >thumbsup<

stalwart

« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2012 11:56AM »
How about a code for recipes such as;
suitable for
v for vegetarian
d for diabetics
g for gluten free

ETC

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2012 12:04PM »
When giving recipes it might be useful to include measuring methods that don't require reading graduated scales. Many people with VI need easy ways to measure quantities. So X heaped table spoons may be a better measure than Y oz/grams.