Author Topic: Paying for carers, PA's and all sorts of help  (Read 2159 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Paying for carers, PA's and all sorts of help
« on: 15 Dec 2011 04:52PM »
I get my help through Age UK and I am invoiced for VAT.

Should I be paying VAT on something that I have to have as a result of being disabled?

Some home adaptations are VAT free and so are certain car adaptations if they are directly related to being disabled aren't they?.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Paying for carers, PA's and all sorts of help
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2011 05:37PM »
According to the HMRC website, these sorts of services are not zero rated.  The link to the website is here:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000184&propertyType=document#P41_2436

It is VAT notice 701/7 that applies to the supply of goods and services for disabled people.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2011 06:10PM »
Thanks Ditchdwellers,

Hmm, the law mostly relates to goods, doesn't it? which must be 'specifically designed for disabled people', not just useful or necessary.

There is nothing about the services that you need because you are disabled.  That is a shame as I am paying quite a lot each month in VAT at 20%.

devine63

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2011 11:59PM »
Hi auntie

if you want to not pay VAT on those services, you will need a supplier who has a relatively small annual turnover (I think it is less than £70K per annum) and therefore does not pay VAT.

Or you could recruit a carer without using an agency and just pay the carer's wages with no VAT. 
regards, Deb

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2011 12:21AM »
Yes Deb,

I used to do that.  A friend used to come over for years, but she has moved away now.  My circle of acquaintances has become more limited as I cannot get out as much as I used to, so I know noone to ask now.

I wanted a professional, trained, person who would do a good job, who was employed with proper sick pay and holidays and so on.  The lady I have now is very caring and I can trust her.  I was in bed all the time when she was here earlier today and I felt fine about it. 

At least I have an organisation to complain to if there is a problem.  Some years ago I used the local council system for the same reason.  But the people they sent me! Many only came a for a few times and then left, or did not do the job satisfactorily.  One cheated the council out of money and I was left to deal with it and say that she had never been for 4 hours a week etc etc.  They tried to take me to court and I had to go for legal advice and had all sorts of hassle and stress.  And, of course,  the charges just went sky-high and I was not prepared to pay them.  So I will not go there again either.

It was just a thought.

devine63

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2011 12:29AM »
yes auntie, sadly there does not seem to be a suitable answer ....
regards, Deb

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2011 10:12PM »
Besides which, what is the 'value added' bit when someone brings you a cup of coffee when you are ill in bed?

Meridi

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2011 12:55PM »
Its a better option to have an Independent Payroll supplier like

Disability Alternatives

or

David Howard   http://www.davidhoward.co.uk/

DH do mine, I employ between 4 and 6 PA's no problems