Author Topic: The Little Things in Life ......  (Read 277 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
The Little Things in Life ......
« on: 30 Jun 2021 11:28AM »
Morning Everyone, 

I've been thinking about the small things in life that give me that emotional boost and put a smile on my face. 
What I've come to realise, is that it's not big gestures that do it for me, but small, things.  This was mainly prompted by finally being able to get my hair cut as it hasn't been done since we started lockdown 2! My hair is usually short and during lockdown it had gone completely grey, almost white, and so long (for me!) that I couldn't see where I was going! I looked like I was doing a bad impersonation of Boris Johnson crossed with an old English sheepdog! 
So I finally had my hair cut on Monday and coloured it pink! Really pink  :f_laugh: I absolutely love it, and my niece thinks I'm cool! 

So this is keeping me smiling this week! Getting my hair done has made me feel so much more like myself, rather than this person I didn't recognise anymore. 

Other simple things that bring a smile to my face are,
1. Watching the birds and squirrels on the feeders in the garden, 
2. Talking to friends and family on the phone/email etc
3. Having a cup of tea and listening to music 
4. Having a relaxing bath. 
5. Spending a lazy day with my husband 

So, over to you.
What simple things in life bring a smile to your face? What sort of things have helped with getting you through lockdown? 
Hoping everyone is able to find joy and sending hugs to anyone who is struggling to find it at the moment  :f_hug:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Little Things in Life ......
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2021 04:16PM »
During the pandemic, those lovely moments when we sort of dance round each other to social distance, with smiles and/or gestures.

In particular, those moments when someone's coming towards me on the pavement and we both move into a drive or out into the road, i.e. both move to the same side, and exchange smiles or gestures and a laugh as we re-arrange ourselves.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2021 07:57PM »
- Getting my permitted daily exercise in the nearest park and feeding the squirrels while drinking coffee from a flask,

- Discovering a new edible lockdown indulgence:  clotted cream on lightly toasted hot cross buns spread first with jam or M & S salted caramel spread (compensated for by light lunch and light supper or I'd be the size of a house   :f_blush:)

- Tea and music most definitely and lots of it!

- Catching up on recorded TV drama series,

- Jigsaw puzzling,

...and right now, Euro 2020 football.... Come on England :biggrin:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2021 09:13PM »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2021 10:40AM »
I love jigsaw puzzles! Now we have a dining table (we didn't have a table big enough on the boat!) I can get back into them. Thanks for reminding me  :biggrin:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2021 04:22PM »
I don't like the physical ones much, but I love the online ones.  It took me a while to work out why - I almost always do the version of the online ones that are 'cut' into squares.  Sometimes I'll do the spiral, but then frankly I'm constructing it on shape not on picture, or I'll do mosaic (straight edged shapes e.g. triangles, wonky oblongs etc.) but only with a picture that's basically a colour pattern, e.g. a picture of a shelf with mugs on or of a woven blanket.

I don't know why my brain doesn't like traditional jigsaw cuts.  But then when it comes to processing and storing written information, be it words or numbers, I love graphs.  I buy puzzle books and I like the puzzles that are about square/graph patterns most.  With the exception of the Private Eye cryptic, the words are neither here nor there.

I'm really telling myself this rather than you - I've got financial stuff to sort and it's a reminder of how it's easiest to do when I channel my liking of patterns into it.  I used to be dead good at filing, but if I've some difficult paperwork to do with lots of paperwork, it's easiest if I lay it out on the floor or kitchen counters or a large table in piles.  Sometimes in straight lines, sometimes in rainbow arches.  Turning stressful tasks into 'jigsaw puzzle' or 'bathroom tile mosaic' pleasure.

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: 09 Jul 2021 08:20AM »
A wee thing that fair put a smile on my face was the young blackbird that trusted me enough to sit on my shoulder as I sat out in the gazebo thing I had built in the back garden. I've been feeding raisins to the local blackbirds for some time now and I guess they've worked out that I don't mean them any harm.