Author Topic: Incontinence products shortage  (Read 296 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Incontinence products shortage
« on: 28 Jun 2021 12:45PM »
My usual supplier have run out of an incontinence product I use. The shortage caused by Brexit. ( I have found an alternative supplier.)
I suggest people check in case they have the same problem.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Incontinence products shortage
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2021 02:47PM »
Ugh.

A thought for anyone who at some point finds themselves without necessary products even when changing supplier...

Maybe washable products?  You can buy them, both pads and pants with built-in pads.  Think of it like usually using disposable nappies for your baby then going back to nappies.  But they don't have to be bulky in the way nappies are.

For those that would like washable products but can't source them, would you forgive a reference to menstrual products, specifically home-made 'towels'.

I'm old enough to have started dealing with periods back in the mists of time with pads sewn from pieces of old nappy, with loops sewn on the ends to go on my Dr White's 'sanny-belt'.  They were easy to make and comfy to wear.

Well, obviously if you're dealing with incontinence, you need something larger, but to put into perspective the level of bleeding they coped with, as a heavy-bleeder, I found that when I tried Simplicity towels, I could soak through one in under two hours, whereas the home-made towels were much better.  Obviously, these days, shop-bought towels have the advantage of waterproof or nearly waterproof backing, but even so.

Obviously, people with incontinence problems aren't all super-duper seamstresses, but it occurs to me that during the pandemic, there have been people who've enjoyed turning their craft skills to making masks for others, so if there's a local help-neighbours group and if you can't get disposable sanitary products and if you can't get or can't afford washable ones, the next best might be to ask for help with making some.

Meanwhile, for those that use disposables and prefer to continue that way, I've got my fingers crossed for you that supplies continue, albeit with maybe having to change suppliers and brands.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2021 03:05PM »

Meanwhile, for those that use disposables and prefer to continue that way, I've got my fingers crossed for you that supplies continue, albeit with maybe having to change suppliers and brands.
I have not changed brands, however the supplier I found is about 1/2 the price I have been paying.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2021 03:54PM »
I used to get mine from Coloplast on the NHS plus buying tena protection at night. 

I'm pleased that despite losing your original supply, you've ended up finding somewhere cheaper! A bonus!

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2021 04:35PM »
I used to get mine from Coloplast on the NHS plus buying tena protection at night.

I'm pleased that despite losing your original supply, you've ended up finding somewhere cheaper! A bonus!
It took a while because the shortage appears to be across several suppliers.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2021 05:19PM »
Cheaper is definitely a bonus.

I think I noticed the cost of incontinence products most when buying for Dad.  The NHS would supply three pads a day, but he'd got savings, so I bought him pants and as many pairs as needed & wanted.  I was always aware of those that didn't have much money.  

One of the swarm of bees in my bonnet is how much inequality there is between people who can rummage around online and people who can't, and between people who can get home delivery and people who can't. 

I wish I didn't have a verbal incontinence problem - my local pharmacy doesn't seem to do a product for that.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2021 07:51PM »
I wish I didn't have a verbal incontinence problem - my local pharmacy doesn't seem to do a product for that.
:f_laugh: