Author Topic: car parks  (Read 281 times)

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
car parks
« on: 27 Jun 2021 08:10AM »
Hello Ouch readers

I have just read in Saturday's Hull Live a storey about a man who was a DIABETIC his sugar level was low so he pulled in to a car park to inject himself with insulin but he got a £100 fine for not buying a ticket to park. I find that appareling + double full of standard's

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: car parks
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2021 11:08AM »
I've just taken a look at that story and some of the comments under it.

I usually feel little sympathy with people who park in car parks where there's a fee payable to park and where the machine is working and then come up with an excuse not to pay, but I think that if there's a genuine emergency, there should be, as a matter of decency, some leniency by whoever owns the car park.

The question also has to be asked why they didn't have any arrangements for free disabled parking. They don't have to do that, but it's the decent thing to do.

That being said, looking at the comments underneath, what isn't clear to me is how far out of his way he went to get there.  Some comments suggest it was quite some distance and are therefore sceptical as to whether he really went there to inject himself.  I think that this is where I really see the virtue of recording yourself on a smartphone, which is something I don't have.

I have had close relatives with diabetes and I know that people with it can get a bit disorientated, so I think it entirely plausible that he wasn't clear-headed enough to simply stop quickly, but if so, should he still be driving?

Horrible situation for him to be in.  I'm afraid that I think that if he lets it go to court, someone will notify DVLA, even if no one has already done so.

All that being said, there's something nasty I noticed in the comments.  The classic all-or-nothing understanding of disability.  People who seemed to think he was lying about not being able to get out of the car.  How could he get out of the car at the hospital or when he got home were the questions, the implied answers being that he'd have to have done it by himself.

But it's not exactly odd for a hospital to have people, whether staff or volunteers, who'd help someone get out of a car and into a wheelchair, especially if  they arranged in advance, and who's to say he hadn't got someone either waiting at home or willing to pop round and help him?  If I were in his position and living where I am, I can think of over half a dozen families where someone would pop out and help. 

I know someone with MS whose legs barely work.  She parks by the front of her house and sort of teeters a couple of yards to her door, holding onto rails, then crawls through the porch and hallway.  Indoors, she mostly gets round on her bum, or clinging onto things using her lets as sort of pivots.  So how would she cope in a car park with no rails to cling onto?

I wish news stories like this were better written, and I hope it doesn't rebound on the man.  Big hugs to all here that end up putting up with a lack of kindness and a lack of understanding.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)