Author Topic: Spring  (Read 2333 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Spring
« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2021 09:01AM »
MrDD saw lots of lovely jelly like clumps of frog spawn in the large pond in the park when he was walking the dog this morning. 

We've had some very strong winds and rain over the last few days. Today it has calmed down considerably and there is some blue sky to be seen. The elder tree outside our sitting room window is just bursting into leaf, with that beautiful, vibrant green peeking through. My bird feeders all hang from this tree, which I can also view clearly from the bedroom. First thing in the morning, we raise the blind and watch the early feeding squabbles between the various birds. They all have their own personalities and it's comical and fascinating to watch.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2021 10:02AM »
It was very windy yesterday with quite an edge to it, but in the shelter of the car the sun felt really strong. A few threatening clouds but only a couple of spits fell.

This morning is calmer and sunny, but still with a cool breeze. As for flowers the early tulips are just starting to open. They seem to be a couple of weeks later this year. If I look out of the window beside my computer the forsythia is glowing brightly in the sun. Very Cheerful.

The biggest activity in the garden is by the squirrels. I'm not sure how many there are but they seem to be everywhere chasing each other. consequently I have given up putting out bird food as feathered visitors don't get a look in. The squirrels can empty a feeder in a couple of hours. The birds still seem to find plenty of stuff in the shrubs and leaf litter.

:wilted_rose:

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2021 10:54AM »
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2021 11:00AM by lankou »

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2021 12:19PM »
I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud 

BY WILLIAM WORDSWORTH
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2021 06:57PM »
Gosh, haven't seen that one in full for quite a while....

My home actually reached 70F late afternoon today, there is more warmth in the sun as the days pass - soon I'll be able to hang my washing on the outdoor line (oh, the exciting life I lead)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2021 09:05AM »
I don't know why, but this morning I was awoken by a particularly loud rendering of the dawn chorus. I've been woken up by worse things!  :f_whistle: :f_peacedove: :clock:

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2021 11:48AM »
I don't know why, but this morning I was awoken by a particularly loud rendering of the dawn chorus. I've been woken up by worse things!  :f_whistle: :f_peacedove: :clock:
Same here but it was Corvids, (not Covid) attacking the bird feeder in my back garden.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2021 11:52AM »
Noisy critters those. Mostly magpies with the occasional jackdaw around here.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2021 12:52PM »
Noisy critters those. Mostly magpies with the occasional jackdaw around here.
I finally identified them as Rooks. (They scared all my neighbours cats out of my garden.)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2021 01:09PM »
I occasionally get a large black bird over my garden, but not close enough for me to reliably tell if it is a crow or a rook. Having said that I believe crows tend to be solitary whereas rooks associate with others in small flocks, so I guess I am seeing a crow.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2021 11:45AM »
Today is the first day of astronomical spring when daylight length starts to exceed night length.

I noticed in the last couple of days my forsythia has erupted in flower after a rather poor looking start. The blooms seems extra large and shiny particularly with the sun on them. Not much sun this morning though.

I also noticed, on my drive to the supermarket, that the magnolia buds are just starting to open. Seems to be a lot so we should be in for a magnificent display later in the week.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2021 11:51AM »
It's a lovely sunny morning and the temperature is climbing. Outside my window a blackbird is singing in the silver birch for all he is worth. I believe its mostly the males that sing.

All that despite the racket from a neighbour's who is having a sick oak tree felled and ground up. I don't like seeing trees cut down but this has been looking pretty sparse for a few years and it might be getting dangerous. Maybe it the sawing is making the blackbird sing louder. I understand birds do that to overcome traffic noise. Why not tree felling?

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2021 03:59PM »
It's always sad to see a tree being felled but it is important sometimes for safety or the wellbeing of the tree itself. 
I love the sound of a blackbird singing. It's so distinctive. 

We put up a a blue tit nesting box a couple of weeks ago on the side of our new shed, and I was concerned that I had put it up too late for this season. But we've had visitors popping in and out so I remain hopeful they will actually nest!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: 29 Mar 2021 09:29PM »
Tomorrow apparently is a 'mini-heatwave' - T-shirts and shorts at the ready, people :biggrin:

Of course, by Easter weekend we will be seeing below-average temperatures again - hurrah for the Great British Weather :f_erm:

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2021 11:06AM »
My front garden this morning:-
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2021 11:10AM by lankou »