Author Topic: The Times subscription service and other subscriptions etc  (Read 727 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Well I finally got to chat to a person on The Times chat option and have been advised that I can't cancel my subscription using and written form of contact pffft. To be fair I felt sorry for the bloke talking to me so did not get grumpy with him. I did mention Ouch Too  :f_smiley:

D
Hello, you're chatting with The Times Live Chat Team. How can we help?

3:59:59 PM

Me

hi

4:03:48 PM
D
Good afternoon, how can I help you Sarah?

4:04:09 PM

Me

I wish to cancel my Times subscription please

4:04:23 PM
my reference number is ########

4:04:52 PM
I am disabled and doing this via phone is difficult for me so can we do it here in chat please?

4:05:30 PM
D
I am sorry to say but we currently do not have the facility's to cancel subscriptions via chat with the systems we have available to us. Is there someone we could authorise to speak on your behalf to cancel this?

4:06:45 PM

Me

maybe I will need to ask them

4:07:05 PM
so is the only way to cancel subscription by the phone?

4:07:31 PM
I cant use email either?

4:07:49 PM
D
We are currently unable to take a written form of cancellation request, I am sorry for the frustration that this may cause but I would be more than happy to pass your feedback onto our subscription management team.

4:08:40 PM

Me

Okay please do so

4:09:00 PM
I have cerebral palsy and being on the phone talking makes me shake more so it is distressing

4:09:40 PM
you might like to let them have this address to check out my website for disable people www.ouchtoo.org

4:10:23 PM
It is not your fault  though

4:10:40 PM
You have a good day Danny

4:11:01 PM
Danny P
I am sorry to hear that Sarah, as advised I will make sure your feedback is passed onto them including your website. Can I advise on anything else today?

4:11:19 PM

Me

No that is all and thank you for being striaghtforward

4:11:48 PM
:-)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Oh for goodness sake, you can't even e-mail?? :f_doh:  It all seems designed to keep you right on subscribing (and paying) because they're making it such a palaver to cancel :thumbsdown:

Fiz

• Charter Member
They're actually breaking the law here. All organisations must by law make reasonable adjustments for people with a disability under the Equality Act 2010. So if someone is unable to use a telephone what reasonable adjustment are they making here? None at all, clearly, and are breaking the law. A big company like The Times should know better! 

It doesn't even make sense practically in my opinion either. 

I'd search for the CEO's email address and send an email pointing out their not providing the necessary reasonable adjustments required by law and the difficulty this gives you maybe?

Fiz

• Charter Member
Rebecca Brooks CEO of News UK who own the Times rebekah.brooks@news.co.uk

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Cancel the direct debit with the bank, that’ll get their attention- utter stupidity

On the edge

• Marmite 5050
  • Diamond member
They're actually breaking the law here. All organisations must by law make reasonable adjustments for people with a disability under the Equality Act 2010. So if someone is unable to use a telephone what reasonable adjustment are they making here? None at all, clearly, and are breaking the law. A big company like The Times should know better!

It doesn't even make sense practically in my opinion either.

I'd search for the CEO's email address and send an email pointing out their not providing the necessary reasonable adjustments required by law and the difficulty this gives you maybe?

Where is your carer? they are still asking for that?

Fiz

• Charter Member
I'm confused OTE as to what you mean?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Thank you everyone  :big_hugs:

I also thought the need for reasonable adjustment should apply, but I could not muster the effort to follow through on this. I asked Mr Sunshine to try for me and hooray he managed to sort it. I had to confirm myself as the subscriber and him as the person helping me. I then stayed out of the way upstairs. He was on the phone for what seemed like a long time and when asked he said they tried to get him to keep the subscription for half the price and went on and on. One principle I don't think I will ever subscribe to The Times again. I has paid up front so could not stop the direct debit.

No I am going to hide from the world and go dig about in the garden  :big_hugs:

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Glad that it’s sorted now, 1 less thing to be stressed about, enjoy your day

Fiz

• Charter Member
I'm pleased that it's sorted too. 

I totally relate to not having the spoons to be assertive. Sometimes for our mental well-being we have to let go even if there's injustice.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Times subscription service and other subscriptions etc
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2021 04:58PM »
Thank goodness for Mr S :thumbsup:

Though it does beg the question of, what would a disabled person living alone have to do - wait for someone else from 'outside' to speak on their behalf? Sounds like The Times won't accept the possibility that said disabled person could actually handle the matter themselves, given reasonable adjustments - how archaic and insulting.  Well, they've just lost a customer because of that, so *raspberry*! to the lot of them!

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2021 04:30PM »
Hello Sun Shine Meadows

When I first read the first 2 words of your thread I thought you were going to start singing THE TIMES ARE A CHANGING by BOB DYLAN

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jun 2021 01:07PM »
:biggrin: :f_laugh: