Forum > Talk

Outcomes for disabled people in the UK - Report

(1/1)

SashaQ:
Here is a report from the Office for National Statistics on survey data about disabled people

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/disability/articles/outcomesfordisabledpeopleintheuk/2021

Sunny Clouds:
Thanks for that.  Interesting but nothing I found surprising, sadly.

It helped me, though, in relation to the fact that I often feel guilty about having given up on work, including voluntary work.  At least those statistics tell me I'm not a weird freak.

bulekingfisher:
Hello Sunny Clouds

Just thought I would try + cheer you up as you know I live in a surported living house + yesterday I went on the bus in to York with Sabrina a young + glamours Italen girl workoing here trying to find a coffee shop was impossible as they wqere all full of noisey torist's so we took another bus to an out of town shopping center were we were successful with refreshment's we also found a dept store that let me use the disabled toilet + I think I am Sabrina's surport wworker + she is my client I think like this because I don't want to over step the bounder's + call her my friend that might lead to me taking advantage of her + I have to much respect for vher

Sunny Clouds:
Bule - that's a lovely way of conceptualising it.

I think that so often how we engage with people at its best is where either two people have a shared interest or where two people have complementary skills or interests and do things together.

Mind you, I realised a couple of years back that 'friend' is a funny word, because like loads and loads of words in English, it has a wide range of meaning.  One person's 'friend' is another person's 'loose acquaintance' or whatever.  We have a massive vocabulary in English, but not one, short word for 'someone I spend time with to our mutual benefit without either of us wanting to be committed to anything closer'.

I suppose where I am, the most useful word I have is 'neighbour' because if you call someone that, you can go somewhere together for a meal or shopping or sports or music or whatever without the other person or anyone else assuming you're trying to get too close.

As my mind drifts on this, I'm thinking of how lovely it is in general where you get people whose needs match in some way and each is the other's carer or supporter or partner or whatever.  Which brings us full circle to your example.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version