Forum > News and Current Affairs.

Speculation about ending free lateral flow tests

(1/1)

Fiz:
There's speculation that the government don't deny, that free lateral tests will end. The government would only respond with free lateral flow tests will always be available. One interpretation is that free tests will only be available to certain people. I'm guessing people who work in health care and for people with Covid symptoms. Though more people could be included who knows. Having ended PCRs for many people, this happening soon after is a surprise.

I think Boris will do all he can to reduce case numbers so he doesn't have to put restrictions in place which may lead to a leadership challenge by his own party.

Sunny Clouds:
Ah, but what about paid-for tests?

Can we be sure that employers, includine private sub-contractors to public services, won't require negative LFTs at the employee's expense?

Win-win for Boris, whose mates can make a profit whilst he can deny so many cases.

Assuming, of course, that he manages to be sufficiently competent to benefit his mates, rather than ending up with a lose-lose situation.  They did nicely out of some of the contracts for some of the pandemic-related services, but I think that that was because of help from others in government.

Sunny Clouds:
I've reached the point of wanting to discuss things like this but deleting most of what I type because it's so politically gloomy.

KizzyKazaer:

--- Quote ---I think Boris will do all he can to reduce case numbers so he doesn't have to put restrictions in place which may lead to a leadership challenge by his own party.
--- End quote ---

Are you suggesting there may be an ulterior motive to this alleged ending of LFTs?  Surely not..

--- Quote from: Sunny Clouds on 09 Jan 2022 03:18PM ---I've reached the point of wanting to discuss things like this but deleting most of what I type because it's so politically gloomy.

--- End quote ---

I can't remember politics ever being that cheerful!  Though I keep trying to give the Government the benefit of the doubt over much of Covid-related policy as it was such a new situation and all sorts of people seemed to be 'learning as they went along' (or am I being too naive or whatever)

The shamble over mass testing and the non-existent 'ring of steel' around care homes is hard to forgive, though - the forthcoming inquiry into the whole damn thing will be interesting....

Fiz:
Yes many people will be forced to pay for LFTs though if employers insist they're done, I think they have to provide them. The self employed will be hard hit and low income people who just want to go to an event. I do think part of Boris's motive is to reduce official case numbers because many won't pay for tests or can't afford them so they'll be less positive results.

We'll see what the week brings. I think when news is leaked it can be done on purpose to guage public reaction and there hasn't been an outcry unfortunately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version