Author Topic: Synchronisity  (Read 4125 times)

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Synchronisity
« on: 28 Jan 2013 11:18AM »
I made a phone call ths morning to Warbreck House in Blackpool (and I live diagonally opposite it in Hastings) to ask about my appeal against the removal of my DLA.

- Be Patient, things are moving!  >snail<

As I'm talking there's a slap on the floor by the front door. 

- I'm already appealing the ESA decision based on this flawed Atos report, how much longer?

- Well, call back in 2 weeks and we'll see where we are then.

I asked the lady to record the fact I had made an enquiry.

Picked up the thin (Very thin) brown envelope. there on the back, the dread address DWP PO Box585 Belfast BT1 1DW.  With shaking hands, thinking that in the 3 weeks since I had sent in my appeal a decision had been made, but not yet recorded on the DWP information Scrambler (sorry, Information System  >blush<).  I opened the envelope and shakily pulled the single sheet from within.

ABOUT YOUR REQUEST FOR AN APPEAL   >yikes<

We got it a week ago!  >lol< >lol<

But then we sat on our backsides for TWO whole days while you were worrying before we even bothered to let you know we got it  >doh<

So, they spent 40p of MY taxes (if benefits were taxed) on an envelope, a piece of paper, printing ink and posting!  Couldn't they email me that they've got it?

Hey, lookit, I've started saving Government money - cut the postal costs!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Synchronisity
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2013 11:40AM »
Couldn't they email me that they've got it?

Seeing as the grand plan is to move us into claiming online (for Universal Credit), they could have done worse than have a practice run...

The problem is, since the DWP mass-centralised their operations back around 2006, the people who answer the phones are not in the same building (or even in the same country, as you can see by the Northern Ireland return address) as the people who handle incoming mail - so they have no way of knowing if the piece of post in question has been received unless the post-opening staff record it on the computer system.  Which may not always happen in a timely manner... Ditto the actual decision, as you've already worked out for yourself:  a DM could do their stuff and finish with an appeal, but then it might sit in a processor's overflowing in-tray for a few days before it becomes an entitlement-changing reality!

At least you have confirmation now on one of the appeals, anyway, so something is moving  >erm<

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2013 12:43PM »
KK,

The main reason for having the return address in Northern Ireland is to give the sniffer dogs that are sitting around after the troubles something to do!  Saved a bit of money there?  I jest.  The problem with this centralising system is the people that need care (us) are relegated to living in a giant version of Portmeirion!

"I am not a NINO, I am a free, but disabled, man!"

Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2013 01:50PM »
Portmeirion

The Prisoner  >what?>

You would think that the IT bods could make sure that the button that creates the letter you got in the post also adds an update to your record so the phone bods have up tp date information to give you.

But then we sat on our backsides for TWO whole days while you were worrying before we even bothered to let you know we got it  >doh<

A while ago there was a tv program that showed the Belfast Office and there were piles of paper stacked up to about 3-4ft high  >looking-sad<, it sounds like there is still a back log.

Fizzbw

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2013 07:27PM »
Well I'm very glad that things are moving for you :)

I'm constantly surprised that people can understand the letters sent by the DWP, they seem to work on the principle of major obsfucation and obscurity!! I'm always confuddled and have to read them 6 times. Even then I can't really understand them. Something for the plain English people!!!

I remember getting the "confirmation" of my move into the SG from WRAG and it just said "you can appeal this change if you want" what change??? Eventually buried in the small print in the summary of what you are paid are the very important words " support Group component...."

Why can't they write a letter that says " you have been placed in the Support Group" ?????

Fx