Author Topic: Disability Now - September edition  (Read 1172 times)

AccessOfficer

Disability Now - September edition
« on: 04 Sep 2012 08:29AM »

There is a very controversial letter in the Your Letters section, "Have your say" that I am sure plenty of you will have views about!!
Here is the link to that page:

http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/have-your-say/letters/your-letters-september-2012/
Best wishes
AO

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Re: Disability Now - September edition
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2012 01:10PM »
oh my goodness, where is this man comming from? Horrid Horrid comments made. I had that from a consultant when pregnant with my Daughter. I had lost one pregnancy already and this was the first meeting with the consultant who breezed into the room reading the notes and said ' i can book you in for termination at 10.30 if we find any thing wrong on the scan'. Didnt even bother to tell me his name and didnt look at me till he finished his oration. Another horrid man.
What makes him so deserving and not others? he takes the money, he is protected from this farce by being a pensioner, but he he had the support to help him work and buy his place, lucky man.
I don't know what to say..

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2012 05:33PM »
Im tempted to say typical pensioner after all if he get High rate AA & lives alone his applicable amount is £142.70+58.20 = 200.90 plus the AA of £77.45 so each week he has £278.35 from which he pays his fuel, water bills & food bills - no wonder he has spare dosh.
Compare with age 55 who gets £71.00 & if they are lucky & get DLA their applicable amount rises to £99.15 for income related benefit
Its fine comparing like for like but he gets more than some people who work  >steam< >steam< >steam< >steam<

apologies to any reasonable pensioners out there
Monic

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep 2012 05:52PM »
I think some people just don't get it.

Not long before she died, my mother said to me "In my day, we couldn't afford to be mentally ill."  I was dumbstruck.

By the time I'd worked out to say, it was just an esprit d'escalier, never said.  But what I wish I'd said was "You could, it's just that the money was spent centrally on vast numbers of asylums, not given directly to mentally ill people to live more cheaply in the community."

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

devine63

« Reply #4 on: 05 Sep 2012 12:04AM »

"Not long before she died, my mother said to me "In my day, we couldn't afford to be mentally ill."  I was dumbstruck."

Back then, those unlucky enough to be "sent to an asylum" were often abused and mis-treated there, by both nursing and medical staff and others. The quiet locations were good for a few patients, but not for all.  It was very difficult to get out, even if one got well.  And they used to admit young women for the "psychiatric illness" of getting pregnant whilst unmarried - and then keep them there for life.    That is not a joke or an overstatement: when they finally reviewed who was in the asylums and started releasing those for whom it was possible, they found a number of elderly women who had been admitted in their teens, solely because they were "morally unfit" (unmarried and pregnant).  Sadly by the time they were identified, most were so heavily institutionalised that they were no longer capable of living independently, so they were unable to be released.
regards, Deb

AccessOfficer

« Reply #5 on: 05 Sep 2012 08:28AM »
Hi Monic,
I'm a pensioner, still working full time at 66 years old, being paid DLA and some days I have my wife's permission to say I am a very reasonable person indeed!!
Best wishes
AO