Author Topic: I have just been sent this scam warning by the local plod.  (Read 157 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Message Type Icon
Mimicking of Fraud Department Telephone Numbers

Current research is showing that scammers are somehow mimicking the telephone numbers of bank fraud departments, so that when the victims checks the caller ID and compares the number against the one printed on the back of their credit cards, the numbers are the same.

Examples so far:
 0467 02/06/2021 –Barclays bank number mimicked. Victim lost £27,000
0290 01/06/2021 – First Direct number mimicked. Victim lost around £30,000
0578 01/06/2021 – Lloyds number mimicked. Victim lost around £25,000

Residents are asked to exercise caution when receiving phone calls of this type.Avoid dialling numbers printed on the back of cards,  If in doubt where possible check with your local branch for updates of your account
 Email tracking gif
Message Sent By
Shirley Craft (Police, Devon and Cornwall Alert Officer, Devon & Cornwall)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
:f_yikes: :f_bleep: :f_bleep: :f_bleep:

It is a good reminder thank you.

We get probably 3 or 4 of these type of calls a week and its really annoying struggling to get to the phone and then find some $hithead is trying to trick me.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
I keep getting a call saying my National Insurance account has been compromised! 
How bizarre is that!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
I keep getting a call saying my National Insurance account has been compromised!
How bizarre is that!
The trouble is that some people will misinterpret it as meaning there's been fraud on their NI account so call back on the number given to find out what their employer's been up to.

Someone close to me was defrauded by their employer not paying the required NI contributions.  This went on for years, and when discovered, the employer was prosecuted, but there was no compensation for my friend, who lost out on a pension because of it.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Residents are asked to exercise caution when receiving phone calls of this type.Avoid dialling numbers printed on the back of cards,  If in doubt where possible check with your local branch for updates of your account
The trouble is that if you suspect fraud, the branch will probably just tell you to call their fraud department and give you the same number as is on the back of the card.  A replacement card went missing in the post a few months ago and I contacted the bank, but I was told it had to go through what they referred to as their lost & stolen team.

These frauds get nastier and nastier.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
I have a text from parcelforce saying they are sorry they missed me earlier and go to this URL to book re-delivery. I have no idea what parcelforce might be delivering, the phone isn't a smartphone and I never click on links in texts! I assume if it genuinely is a parcel, parcelforce would contact me again before sending the parcel back to sender! 

I'd be stunned if ever I fell for a scam, I am so cautious. I'm far more likely to miss a real message or instruction due to caution. I ignored the text inviting me for my Covid vaccine because I never click on links in texts!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
An oops, not a scam...

I used to get my fuel from Ebico, which in reality meant getting it from Robin Hood under a white label agreement.  Then last year, Robin Hood went bust.  The communication from Ebico was terrible, and mindful of how atrocious it had been when they switched from their agreement with SSE to Robin Hood, I decided not to go with them to British Gas, but instead to go to Octopus.  But Ebico/Robin Hood (I rather assumed if I called 'Ebico' the call was routed to the Robin Hood call centre) blocked the transfer on the basis of an unpaid bill, except that I could proved I'd paid it.  First they blocked the electric transfer, then when that was sorted, they blocked the gas transfer, even though it was dual fuel and a joint bill.

Then I started getting what I thought were fake calls, saying they were from Ebico/RH and I owed them money and press 1.  To begin with, I ignored them, then chased up Ebico/RH.  According to the call handler, their records showed I was still in debt and they were indeed chasing me.

I ignored them and eventually they went away.

But whether the calls I was getting really were from Ebico/RH, or whether Ebico/RH's debt collection team had realised there was an error and the calls were coincidental scams, I'll never know.

Checking the number online showed some people saying it was genuine E/RH debt collection and some saying it wasn't. 

Taken along with all the rest of the dreadful nightmare of trying to transfer, at the same time as having problems with my Virgin cable, which Virgin were denying I had, it was surreal and upsetting.