Author Topic: Care needs assessment  (Read 1546 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Care needs assessment
« Reply #45 on: 08 Jun 2021 06:47AM »
I agree I am sure it is a tax and also agree that had I known my contribution would be this large I would never have applied for care. They'd save themselves time and money by being transparent about costs from the start. 

My PIP care is £179.20 and my disability related expenses are £117.17 and I had read on another local authority's website that they take 10% of disposable income as contributions towards care cost so had thought in my head I might be asked for £6.21 a week which is doable. It seems my local authority take more than someone's entire disposable income. 

I managed to complete the online form yesterday for good life sorted. I am aiming to find someone to help me meal prep for two hours fortnightly. If all goes well with the helper I may add an hour during the week she isn't coming to help me move things around that I am unable to lift and carry. At least with good life sorted they are all enhanced DBS and are self employed so no worries about taxing plus no contract and if you cancel a week, you don't pay.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: 08 Jun 2021 12:09PM »
That sounds promising. 

When I was a child and people like my nana got help from the council then later moved into a dementia ward, it may have sounded very restrictive, but the 'care in the community' we were sold has turned out to be even more disempowering, with DLA and AA never really being enough, then the 'austerity' cuts both directly to benefits and indirectly to council budgets.

The other thing is that when I was at school, in the sixth form, we did community service, rotating round elders' homes to help.  Ok, so there was no continuity, but it was just a bit of extra help on top of the council's meals on wheels etc.  My all time absurdity was a woman with a small front lawn and no way to cut it.  She had no garden shears, so in desperation, I used a pair of large scissors.  Yes, daft, but it gave me an experience I can still laugh at decades later and it gave her a tidy lawn that was otherwise neglected.  She felt ok to laugh with me at the time, too.

Also, in those days, more women were housewives, and more pottered to the shops and were happy to do a bit of shopping for neighbours with no embarassment.  Thus my nana got meals on wheels plus other shopping.

Where I live, the pandemic's been brilliant for networking our community to volunteer, e.g. I pick up a neighbour's medication for her, and I'd like to see that expanded.  If it hadn't been for the pandemic, I think by now I'd have asked for help with paperwork.  I don't mean to do the paperwork, I mean to sit with me and calm me while I do it.

I see more hope in community help than state help these days.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #47 on: 09 Jun 2021 07:25PM »
Having paused the care while I have a think, a massive weight has lifted from my shoulders. No one is going to walk in my house at any given time within a 6 hour period, my life is no longer ruled by 'when' or if they might arrive. I haven't experienced any hypersomnia since stopping steroids so I am no longer having several days in a row unable to get up so I feel I can manage. 

Unfortunately good life sorted don't have any assistants in my area available so I will have to manage without help at the moment. I have cancelled the meal prep ingredients for this Friday's online supermarket delivery as I am not sure I will manage it and have quite a few meal preps in the freezer for the next fortnight.

I'm unsure about advertising locally for someone to help me meal prep, I like to feel somebody is understanding, DBS checked and tax and NI is paid. If I struggle I will have to think again.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: 09 Jun 2021 10:29PM »
It's a difficult balance, isn't it, between the plus of having help with things that are difficult and the minus of the help being provided disruptively?

I hope you can find some help.

Mind you, when Dad couldn't cope with cooking safely but was still living at home, I started stocking up on Wiltshire Farm Foods ready meals.  I suppose being processed food, they have the disadvantages that entails, but he ate worse junk than that anyway.  I wish I could say that I ate better.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)