Author Topic: Arrrgh,  (Read 154 times)

JLR2

Arrrgh,
« on: 09 Jul 2021 08:47AM »
Yup arrrgh, that hurt :f_wah:  I was using some cable ties to sort a few wee connections on the canvas cover I have over my gazebo thing when the steps I was using decided to shift their position and one of my hand's fingernails caught on the top of the gazebo ripping a chunk of it from the nail bed. Most of the nail is still attached but about 2/3 millimetres of the nail bed have been left exposed so come 9am when the chemist opens I'll pop down and get hold of one of those finger sleeve like things to help keep the dressing I have on it dry, least as dry as I can manage. The awkward thing for me is my being left handed where things like pouring a mug of coffee or when writing. My nails tend to be reasonably quick in their growth so hopefully it'll not be too long before I'm able to do away with wearing dressing on the finger. From what I could find on the web it'll be at least 10 days before the exposed nail bed is firm enough to be open to the elements, I hope that right as like any time we have even the smallest of issues with our fingers nature always finds a way to make sure we are all too aware of it, like when you have a little rough bit on a nail it seems to catch on everything doesn't it?  :f_laugh:
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2021 02:50PM by JLR2 »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Arrrgh,
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2021 12:54PM »
Ow, ow, ow!

I'd have been dashing frenetically for my bottle of Germolene New Skin, though you may well have chosen the better option.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2021 09:23PM »
....any time we have even the smallest of issues with our fingers nature always finds a way to make sure we are all too aware of it, like when you have a little rough bit on a nail it seems to catch on everything doesn't it?

Indeed it does, and I remain forever amazed at just how painful even the smallest injury to a finger can be, like a paper cut.  So out of proportion to the actual damage!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2021 06:31AM »
Ouch! 

I have never heard of germolene new skin. I'm a major germolene fan, I will look out for that. 

That sounds horrendously sore.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2021 11:24AM »
New Skin stings like hell to put on, but only for a few moments, and then it stops other stuff stinging.

It dries to a shiny surface that's hard-ish.  I find it's pretty useless on what I think of as 'concertina' skin like knuckles, but members of my family, me included, have used it on things like finger edges and damaged nails for decades.

For a more flexible/bendy option and for over larger surfaces, spray plaster is worth a try.

The brand I wish I could still get my hands on is Savlon spray plaster, which is great for parts of the body that move around.  I have other brands, but Savlon was the  best.  My guess is that whatever chemical constituent made it better was what caused it to be taken off the market.

But don't underestimate the usefulness of other brands of spray plaster, they just don't last as long as Savlon and peel sooner, but they offer flexibility.

For cracked skin, someone also recommended to me superglue.  They recommended the sort sold as nail repair glue in places like Boots, but you can also use the little tubes you get in places that sell DIY stuff.  

Incidentally - confession time - I'm a compulsive skin-picker, and over the decades, the problem has migrated around the body - legs, scalp, hands.  I found the army great for that, because I always seemed to have something to fidget with and when I didn't, I was either grubby (eek, germs, don't pick) or on parade (eek, don't fidget).

But these days, I need my paints, glues, plasters...and cuticle clippers or similar to tidy up rough edges that tempt me to pick.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2021 07:53PM »
A wee update, one I should have made sooner, the damaged area if my finger is well settled and it's now only the time it'll take for the nail to regrow I have to get used to. Thankfully I'm no longer needing to use the finger guard thing I had been trying to wear as it felt like no matter what I was looking or trying to do the guard insisted on reminding me it was there.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2021 06:22AM »
I bought a new vegetable knife based on excellent Amazon reviews as to how sharp and effective it was. Personally I think it should be sold with a pack of band aids as I can vouch for how sharp it is  :f_doh:

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2021 08:54AM »
Morning Fiz, here would that be the knife sponsored by Michael Gove?  I heard he tested them out himself on some poor suckers back, the name Johnson rings a bell :f_smiley: