Author Topic: Using songs & quotes to get me through the rough patches  (Read 101 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
At different parts of my life, I've used different songs, poems and quotes to help me cope, often listening to them or singing to them over and over and over.

The one that I've been clinging onto most this year, although not the only one, is the third verse of a song called Perigiali.

Με τι καρδιά, με τι πνοή, τι πόθους και τι πάθος πήραμε τη ζωή μας• λάθος! κι αλλάξαμε ζωή.

'With what heart, with what breath, what desire, what passion we started our lives, but failure!  And we changed our lives.'

I interpret 'changed' as 'started again', 'didn't give up', 'found another way'.

I also came across a quote the other day that is attributed to Einstein, but for all I know he may not actually have said it - "I have not failed.  I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work."

I still carry with me everywhere a verse from a poem by Goethe copied out in my clumsy primary school handwriting.

Immer wenn du meinst, es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein Lichtlein her.

Whenever you think you can't go on, a little light comes from somewhere.

In German, it's 'it goes no more'.  I like the focus because in English, it's sort of like a focus on what I can't do, not on what's going wrong, but in the German, I can feel more like life's gone wrong rather than I've gone wrong.

I have to change which quotes, poems and songs I cling onto or they begin to feel trite, but do the rest of you cling onto such things?
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2021 03:25AM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Using songs & quotes to get me through the rough patches
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2021 06:04AM »
Having decided to get rid of my rarely used CD player, I have decided to keep it. I need to set it back up again in the lounge. I have kept about 20 of my favourite CDs and need to play them more. I think it would be very uplifting to listen to music regularly. 

I'm binge watching Orphan Black on Netflix currently though!