Author Topic: Lifting restrictions by Fiz from UK site  (Read 1872 times)

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member
Lifting restrictions by Fiz from UK site
« on: 22 Feb 2021 10:24PM »

Fiz

• Charter Member

Lifting restrictions
« on: Today at 02:29 PM »

Today we will hear in detail Boris's roadmap for coming out of lockdown and easing restrictions. So far we have schools reopening on March 8th and on the same date we can meet up with one other person outside. I have already arranged a rendezvous on a park bench/camping chair with a friend that day! Nice to have something in the diary!

I wonder when hospitality will restart and other things reopening. How do you feel about it all?
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2021 10:27PM by Strontium Green »

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member
Re: Lifting restrictions by Fiz from UK site
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2021 10:26PM »
oldtone27
  • Charter Member

Re: Lifting restrictions
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:54 PM »

What I have heard so far seems reasonable. I think we have to be very careful not to relax social distancing too soon. Despite the good vaccination turnout there is still a large body of people not vaccinated and we only have to look back to Xmas to see what happens if social mixing is eased.

With Easter approaching I think there will be enormous temptation to meet friends and relatives and I don't trust the public to observe social distancing if people are allowed to meet indoors.

lankou

• Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:55 PM »

I have been requested to shield until at least the end of March.

Fiz

• Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30 PM »

I think it all looks reasonable too.

I think with 'an end in sight' and dates ahead for all the various restrictions lifting more people will adhere to the rules than if there was no end in sight. There have been and will be some who don't agree with restrictions and aren't adhering to them anyway but generally I think having dates in the diary will keep many people on track.

I'm shielding until the end of March too oldtone. I'm liking the dates though and the assurance that shielding should end in March and hopefully not be repeated.

I had an adrenal crisis yesterday but chose not to follow advice and call an ambulance and go to hospital because I wanted to stay Covid safe. I was pretty unwell even after my emergency injection but managed it all okay at home.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2021 11:58AM »
I think Oldtone is right about being careful not to relax social distancing too soon. From what I have heard in the news the general public are like children in a sack race on a hot summers day. Some follow the rules exactly and keep both feet in the sack and hop hop towards the finish line, while others fall over keep on foot in the sack and do a sort of following the rules half run, and then there are the ones that run holding the sack in the hand. It does not even have to be deliberate, I mean it seems to me that those of us who have barely been out have not got into the social distancing habit so dont move around in a 2m bubble.

Fiz how are you feeling today?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2021 05:01PM »
I have a reoccurrence of my wisdom tooth infection and my body doesn't make enough cortisol to fight infections so I have been unwell. I managed to get downstairs at 1.30pm and ate something but am back in bed now. I am struggling to drink though and barely have the energy to sit up. I did manage to draw up a hydrocortisone injection and give myself it on Sunday so only started feeling really unwell yesterday. I have updosed steroids today but am reticent to updose much as I have been trying to wean off steroids and that would be a massive backwards step. 

I'm shocked that the Reading and Leeds festivals are going ahead. People don't wash their hands at festivals or social distance and many people will still be unvaccinated. However Boris said that all legal restrictions on social gatherings end on June 21st so I guess this was inevitable. Madness.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2021 05:25PM »
I am sorry you are so unwell, are you able to have food and drink on hand near your bed for times like these? We have talked before about the way I can feel faint and wobbly, that it seems to be a blood sugar thing so I get in a small way how it must feel for you. I realise you are trying to wean off steroids but it could be that it would be better to keep them going for a while. You need to be well enough to have the vaccine when your turn arrives.

Hugsss

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2021 08:57PM »
I'm shocked that the Reading and Leeds festivals are going ahead
Me too, didn't similar happen last year with a horse-racing (ie, 'super-spreader') event??

I think coming out of this lockdown with caution is the correct approach and I hope people don't go silly and think they can just go back to 'normal' immediately :f_doh:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2021 05:38PM »
Simple Politics (do follow them on Instagram) were posing the question about whether or not it was right to have a roadmap so far ahead when all dates are not fixed and may change if the four conditions are not met and changing dates may make the public unhappy. I agree with the thoughts that the roadmap was needed to give us hope. This third lockdown has been horrendous for me mentally and I definitely need some hope of contact with others. I do understand that things may be postponed and know that if they are they'll be good reason. 

Today is the first day that I have felt strong enough to sit up and drink. I'm hoping that I will be well enough to shower tomorrow having been in bed since Saturday apart from a couple of hours on Monday and Tuesday I feel desperate for a wash. Hopefully I have turned a corner today.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2021 10:15AM »
My husband and I have always taken our son, daughter in law, and two small grandchildren on a UK self catering holiday every summer. The last few years we have been to the Isle of Wight and last year the cottage was so lovely we booked to return this year. Imagine my shock when the owner contacted me recently to confirm that the booking and checking I still wanted to go, and the price. Last year we hadn't discussed a price for this year. I should have known better. The price has gone up by £600! 

I think I may have to ask my son to pay his own ferry crossing. Usually we pay for everything as it's our annual treat to the family, but I just don't think we can afford to this year. I save hard and budget for this holiday all year, but not the extra £600.

I'm not sure if this classes as profiteering or average rates for the area. Or if the guy is just trying to recover some of his pandemic losses. I just know it would be impossible to find an alternative, so we're stuck with paying or no holiday. The kids love the ferry trip, and there's so much to do on the island for family holidays, we would all be disappointed not to go.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2021 12:48PM »
Yes companies and property owners have hiked the prices with the ease of lockdown. I suspect had you agreed on a price at the time of booking the price would not have been £600 higher! I had to cancel a property booked via Sykes for this June and they refused to return my deposit which is a THIRD of the rental for the week and have now relet the property for almost £400 more than I had been going to pay so Sykes have made £800 from my cancellation! Unsurprisingly there are 5300+ members of unhappy Sykes Facebook group members! 

I have booked a week away in a property large enough for all 3 children, their other halves and the grandchildren for May half term in 2022 when hopefully this will all be a distant memory. It's a 4 night break rather than a week due to price but it will be lovely for us all to be together. Hopefully my health will be better by then and I won't be plagued so much by fatigue. 

I'd booked a place for me and a friend in the Peak District for September which should go ahead which will be nice.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2021 01:40PM »
It's been so disappointing not to see those close to me, that I can't tell you how much this holiday means to me. I guess you understand Fiz, and are desperately looking forward to your holidays too! To be able to spend quality time with our family and friends is wonderful. The Peak district is beautiful. What a lovely place to visit! 

We used to take four night holidays when the children were very small, but now they're a bit older (5 and 7) we go for the seven nights. I know there will come a time when they won't want to come on holiday with granny so I'm making the most of it  :f_laugh:

SteveX

« Reply #10 on: 03 Mar 2021 09:48PM »
I used to visit my mum every 2 weeks, we spend the evening together and have a takeaway delivered.  it's been a year now since I visited her and I cannot put into words how much I've missed it.  I dearly hope this ends soon, I want to hug my mum again.

Sadly I guess all the selfish people will go crazy and we'll be in another lockdown, although it seems some people are carrying on as usual.  Two of my neighbours have had parties with 12-16 people at them in the last couple of months.  They just don't care
Member of POMMAS

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 04 Mar 2021 08:54AM »
I share Steve's concern. There are reports today that the reduction in cases is failing in some areas. As lockdown has not changed this is being attributed to complacency.

The problem is it only takes a few to allow this virulent virus to spread. Even just one is enough if they happen to be a 'super spreader' i.e. someone who encounters many others quite possibly for legitimate reason.

I don't think we can relax social distancing for some while yet.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: 04 Mar 2021 11:12AM »
I really don't understand how some people can be so irresponsible. They seem to have no sense of the severity of the situation or social responsibility. 
It's a sort of it will never happen to me attitude. I find this burying their heads in the sand view oddly fascinating. It's a a bit like assuming you will always be fit and healthy and never acquire a chronic illness or disability at a young age. It only ever happens to other people, right? I'll be alright Jack!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 05 Mar 2021 02:52PM »
Thankfully as a country we are doing well with the vaccines and although numbers may rise as restrictions are lifted and a few ignore restrictions I think the vaccine roll out will prevent another lockdown. The worst that could happen in my thinking is tiers return and to a point I think tiers can be effective because it means people feel responsible for bringing numbers down in their areas. 

My aim for March is to tidy and clean my garden ready for outdoor meet ups at the end of the month.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 05 Mar 2021 09:34PM »
I
It's a a bit like assuming you will always be fit and healthy and never acquire a chronic illness or disability at a young age. It only ever happens to other people, right? I'll be alright Jack!
Tell that to the 'look at how superfit I am' runners who thunder past me sometimes so close I feel their 'downdraft' - I have to bite my tongue when I really want to yell after them, 'Not heard of social distancing, then?' :f_steam:

Fiz, can we all come to your first garden party?  Oh wait, that would be the rule of six down the pan, then ...

I too remain optimistic that the vaccination programme will put an end to all these damn lockdowns - getting a bit bored of 'non-essential retail' being closed more often than it's open :f_erm: (no, I don't shop online and don't want to as delivery a bit of a problem where I live)  And anyway, it's nice to see and feel the goods for real, as it were!