Author Topic: Do not resuscitate notices put on some Covid patients by Sunshine Meadows  (Read 601 times)

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member
Sunshine Meadows
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Do not resuscitate notices put on some Covid patients
« on: 19 Feb 2021 12:43PM »

Warning please be aware this topic is upsetting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/13/new-do-not-resuscitate-orders-imposed-on-covid-19-patients-with-learning-difficulties

I need to log into my Guardian account to read this. The article doesn't say why this decision was made does anyone know why? I mean is it because of a lack of medical resources or does it have more to do with the distress caused to the patient?
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2021 10:28PM by Strontium Green »

Strontium Green

• Administrator
  • Diamond member

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Do not resuscitate notices put on some Covid patients
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2021 01:24PM »

Quote from: Sunshine Meadows on 19 Feb 2021 12:43PM

Warning please be aware this topic is upsetting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/13/new-do-not-resuscitate-orders-imposed-on-covid-19-patients-with-learning-difficulties

I need to log into my Guardian account to read this. The article doesn't say why this decision was made does anyone know why? I mean is it because of a lack of medical resources or does it have more to do with the distress caused to the patient?

I will post the petition link here and see if it works, Edited add , it does work but I can't cope and paste from it.

https://www.change.org/p/matthew-hancock-mp-a-reversal-on-do-not-resuscitate-orders-for-covid-19-patients-with-learning-difficulties?recruited_by_id=792a1d30-722d-11eb-9ada-e5e5a893ebc6&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&fbclid=IwAR1Gtm8eG28RQjaxuVjXjXJ8BYOqT6uG0yO-fE2GZU20gesvO2_gs6BUhT4

A reversal on
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2021 01:27PM by lankou »

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2021 07:46PM »

T4 Program Tory style for the 21st century.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2021 07:49PM »

...it does work but I can't cope and paste from it

Somehow I've managed to copy/paste this from the petition page:

People with learning disabilities have been given do not resuscitate orders during the second wave of the pandemic, in spite of widespread condemnation of the practice last year and an urgent investigation by the care watchdog.

Mencap said it had received reports in January from people with learning disabilities that they had been told they would not be resuscitated if they were taken ill with Covid-19.

The Care Quality Commission said in December that inappropriate Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR) notices had caused potentially avoidable deaths last year.

DNACPRs are usually made for people who are too frail to benefit from CPR, but Mencap said some seem to have been issued for people simply because they had a learning disability. The CQC is due to publish a report on the practice within weeks.

This is absolutely disgusting and cannot be allowed to continue. We must stand against this and not allow the UK to become a fascist state.

We are all one and everybody has value. This is a serious human rights issue and cannot be allowed to continue in this day and age. We must join together and show we will not stand by and allow this horrific practice to continue. We must stand firm and resist this and insist this practice ends now!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2021 07:56PM »

And yes, if this is what's happening, it is truly disgusting - and shocking for the 21st century.  I've signed.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:09 AM »

Unfortunately this has happened throughout the pandemic but not so openly. Patients with dementia admitted to hospital with Covid are routinely admitted to TLC wards and are not offered ICU or HDU care even if their symptoms warrant it. Same with patients over a certain age. There definitely aren't enough ICU beds and life saving equipment to treat all Covid patients, given that, medics have decided who to offer treatment to and who to offer care to instead. I guess the DNR is because if they successfully ressucitate a patient, they would then require an intensive care bed and at many points in the pandemic there were no ICU beds available.

Horrendous that decisions were made by people judging the quality of people's lives and not valuing each individual's right to life.