Author Topic: Cracked ribs!  (Read 260 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Cracked ribs!
« on: 22 Dec 2020 01:18PM »
So, one calamity  after another seems to follow me around!

On Friday early evening I went to have a bath. Everything started off fine, and it wasn't until I went to get out that my inflatable bathing cushion refused to reinflate. There's supposed to be a failsafe mechanism that prevents it from deflating in the first place if it doesn't have enough charge to reinflate. It malfunctioned.
I was left stranded in the bath and by this time I had let all all the water out so it was too cold to sit there waiting for my husband to get home from work. So I  stupidly thought 'I can manage this on my own '.
I shuffled about a bit on my bum and then used the handles on the bath to lever myself up.
It didn't end well.
I ended up crashing against the side of the bath, right on a handle, and landed back in the bath. It's the first time I've actually winded myself and it's quite a frightening experience.

I'm Always prepared for mishaps and keep the phone within reach of the bath, and called my husband when I could breathe properly and he came straight home, although it still took him 40mins due to traffic. All I had to cover me was a hand towel! My husband attached his large electricity charger to my bath machine and soon had me out of the bath. My hero!

I spent all weekend feeling pretty terrible and called the doctors yesterday. I saw the paramedic at the surgery (a very useful member of the practice team) and he confirmed a couple of cracked ribs. Oh joy!
So now I'm trying to get my bathing cushion changed for a new one.

Sorry, that turned into a longer post than intended!

JLR2

Re: Cracked ribs!
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2020 06:47PM »
Reading there of your accident DD, has me thinking it might not be such a good idea for me to have a bath reinstalled in the bathroom. I really miss having access to a bath rather than the council installed walk in shower. With my having an open fire that heats the water I've plenty of hot water to fill a bath and more than enough to do the dew dishes I use.

DD have you any idea how long it'll take before your cracked ribs are no longer cracked?  I understand that when folk break their collar bone it is left as it is, least it was in my case following the car crash in 89, but I've never really understood quite what's involved when ribs are cracked, apart from the obvious, the rib is cracked does it leave the rib weakened and liable to being broken more easily?  It'd worry me I'm sure as the idea of the protection the ribs provide to the lungs and other vital organs being in a weakened state would see me being very careful and less keen to be going off using steps to reach things to high to reach without using them in case I slipped and landed heavily.

I should really carry my mobile when I wander up into the loft space in the house, I've a lot of junk thrown up there, but it's be my luck to remember the mobile only to find once up in the loft the battery was too low.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2020 11:06AM »
Please don't let my freak mishap stop you getting a bath fitted if you want one.
I love having a long soak and it does wonders for my aching joints and muscles. This is the first time I've actually experienced a malfunction like this and I've been using this type of equipment for about 15 years or so and I've always been very pleased with it.
It allows me to be more independent, which is essential for all of us.

Anyway, my equipment is being replaced on the 29th and in the meantime I'm able to rely on the backup of using my husband's charger permanently plugged into my inflator until and I'll only have a bath when he's around.

I always carry my mobile and the house phone in my pocket when I move about the flat in case I slip or fall and need to call for help. I've just got used to doing it now it's become second nature!
Better to be safe than sorry and I really don't want a care alarm yet. It will make me feel too old and vulnerable. It's just a psychological thing but I really don't see myself as that, even if in reality I am. All the time I can work around it , I will!.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2020 04:16PM »
Being stuck in the bath naked and bruised is one of my dreads. I am glad it was not any worse after all cracked ribs and a scare are too much already, I would hug you but it would ouch your ribs.

Mr Sunshine is home almost all the time but I do carry my mobile phone around with me when he goes to Wales.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2020 05:25PM »
Ooh, that's a nasty thing to happen, DD - wishing you swiftly healing bones...

I always carry my mobile and the house phone in my pocket when I move about the flat in case I slip or fall and need to call for help. I've just got used to doing it now it's become second nature!

Very sensible indeed, as you've just found out!  At least there's not too long to wait for the malfunction to be sorted, given how long it's taking most things to be delivered/done this year :/