Author Topic: Christmas bonus time!  (Read 625 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Christmas bonus time!
« on: 15 Dec 2020 06:12PM »
It's arrived!

I know it's only a tenner but I feel more grateful for it this year than I have any other. It's been a hard year for us, being evicted, having to store our boat in a friend's field while we work out what to do with it, our possessions still scattered across various kind souls in piles in their sheds until we can sort through it. And then the pandemic topped it off with my husband being self employed and people not wanting work doing unless it was an emergency so income plummeted.

It's been a strange year, and I hope the next year brings us all some comfort and joy. Xxxxx

Spend that tenner wisely!

JLR2

Re: Christmas bonus time!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2020 07:07PM »
I'll be happy just to get as far as being vaccinated and returning to booking flights to Berlin. For all the time I've had here at home you would expect my house to be a bit tidier than it presently is. Every now and then I do try to tidy up but all that sees is so much clutter ending up in cardboard boxes and shoved into the nearest corner. Honestly you could be forgiven if you thought I had only recently moved into the house and hadn't had time to unpack.

There's a bit of me that's thinking I'll get the vaccine but if Germany hasn't reached a similar stage of vaccination I'll have to wait before going over and by the time I can go over the effectiveness of my vaccination might be open to question seeing me needing another jab of vaccine, if there is enough to give second vaccinations.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2020 09:24AM »
I understand that if you qualify for the first vaccine dose the second will be reserved for you so there should be no problem over supply in that respect. The question becomes when one gets the first dose.

I see that some members of the German parliament are questioning why their authorities have not yet approved the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine even though it was invented there. Especially since the UK, America and several other countries have.

I fear that our Xmas lockdown relaxation may result in another spike. I think, whilst most people will try to comply, there is a sufficiently large minority that will ignore the rules and undermine the whole intention.

Happy Xmas. Looking forward to a somewhat unpredictable start to he New Year.

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2020 11:56AM »
"I fear that our Xmas lockdown relaxation may result in another spike"

Given OT, what has been seen to have happened in the US following their Thanksgiving holiday it is pretty much guaranteed there will be more deaths due to the government's relaxation over Christmas (Including the Scottish government after what I just heard on the telly's Daily Politics).

What I'd do is make Johnson, Sturgeon and the other devolved administration leaders personally liable for deaths resulting from their 5 day relaxation of the rules.  That would soon concentrate their minds and drop the Christmas changes.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2020 06:36PM by JLR2 »

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2020 02:23PM »
Tempting although it may be to wish them responsible, it doesn't really work that way. By the same logic they would be responsible for any other crime committed by anyone including murder.

The responsibility must rest with the individual who ignores the law/rules. Unfortunately there are too many of them either deliberately or carelessly.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2020 02:54PM »
Gien we are both on income based benefits now we got two bonues yipee. Hmmm Mr Sunshine and I do have a lot to be thankful for.

DD,

There is a lot to be said for getting through hardship together ~hugs~

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2020 09:38PM »
What I'd do is make Johnson, Sturgeon and the other devolved administration leaders personally liable for deaths resulting from their 5 day relaxation of the rules.  That would soon concentrate their minds and drop the Christmas changes.

The thing is... if there wasn't this festive 'amnesty', some people would have just gone ahead and had a free-for-all anyway, I think.  Better there is some minimal control (the 3-households rule here in England) and I fully expect another national lockdown in January...

As for the Christmas bonus, I've already spent mine on a luxury Marks & Sparks chocolate item. Yum!

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2020 09:49PM »
One thought that has crossed my mind over recent days following this Christmas 5 day thing is the excuses we hear from doormat Hancock and Johnson when we hear them talking of how it is a good thing to trust peoples common sense to do the right thing. Were that excuse to hold water why on earth is there any need for lockdowns in the first place if all we need is for folk to use their common sense?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2020 08:55AM »
One thought that has crossed my mind over recent days following this Christmas 5 day thing is the excuses we hear from doormat Hancock and Johnson when we hear them talking of how it is a good thing to trust peoples common sense to do the right thing. Were that excuse to hold water why on earth is there any need for lockdowns in the first place if all we need is for folk to use their common sense?

Exactly. Why can't they be honest and admit the public cannot be trusted sufficiently. I forget; they are politicians and therefore have no concept of honesty.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2020 04:00PM »
Exactly. Why can't they be honest and admit the public cannot be trusted sufficiently. I forget; they are politicians and therefore have no concept of honesty.

Spot on :-(

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2020 09:32PM »
Why can't they be honest and admit the public cannot be trusted sufficiently.

Well, they won't make a direct statement to that effect, but they're obviously believing it enough to reduce the 5 days to just the 1 (Christmas Day only) - why wasn't I too surprised when learning this on the early evening news *rolls eyes and sighs*

It won't affect me personally as I will only be seeing Dad through the whole Christmas week - we formed a two-strong support bubble as soon as we were allowed to do that, back in the late spring or whenever it was.  But there will be families who face real disappointment now.  Sodding virus!

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2020 04:37PM »
How come I get one but Ryan doesn't not fair he needs it as well.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2020 12:47PM »
That seems ridiculously unfair Frances.
I hope you and Ryan are able to spend a few days doing something different over the festive period. Enjoy the time in whatever way you can.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2020 05:28PM »
Doesn't Ryan get DLA/PIP and/or Contribution-based Employment Support Allowance?  Any one of these should entitle him to the bonus...