Author Topic: big cuts for handy capped people in medical care in Cyprus  (Read 307 times)

huhn

https://politis.com.cy/politis-news/kypros/gesy-paragkonismena-gia-alli-mia-fora-ta-paidia-me-anapiries/

i used google translate

The parents of the Pediatric Hospital of Makarios Hospital express their strong disagreement regarding the number of treatments by health professionals that will be offered through GESS. According to an announcement by the Pancyprian Association of Parents and Friends of the Pediatric Oncology Unit, the treatments that will be offered to children with motor or other developmental disabilities are not even close to the minimum number of treatments they need.

According to the announcement issued by the association, no discount should be given to children as prevention and timely intervention are important in order to avoid any relapses or complications.  As the secretary of the Association, Louiza Stefanidou, told "P", the treatments are very few, given that 12 physiotherapies are needed per month and not the time as provided by the GESS. This is because children with cerebral palsy need treatments 2-3 times a week, so 8-12 treatments a month. Research so far shows that the more frequent the treatments, the better the results due to the plasticity of the brain of children with cerebral palsy. At the same time, Ms. Stefanidou expressed her complaint about the fact that it has not been clarified so far for which specialties 12 treatments will be.

According to Ms. Stefanidou, the agreement reached a few months ago with the Ministry of Health is better than the one proposed by the OAY. This interim agreement provides for the granting of a part of the cost of the treatments for a certain number of treatments. This agreement is considered by the parents to be better than the one now proposed by the GESS, with them shouting that once again children with disabilities are sidelined and talking about a poor and sketchy plan.

Huhn, have changed extra-large font to normal size for you - KK
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2020 08:55PM by KizzyKazaer »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Is the GESS the Cyprus equivalent of our NHS?  If so, I wonder if coronavirus will be blamed for cuts in these treatments..

huhn

yes