Author Topic: Wheelchairs  (Read 1902 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Wheelchairs
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2021 07:31PM »
And now I have changed my mind and am interested in the Lith tech XL folding powerchair. It has a much greater range battery wise, copes with a lot of terrains and folds up far easier. 

I'm thinking of getting the XL as it's a wider seat and I am not slender but my only complaint is that it has Lith tech XL in wapping big black letters on the sides. Who wants their size broadcast to the world like that?! It might as well say "fatty" on the sides  :f_doh:

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2021 08:55AM »
I suspect your wheelchair makers are borrowing from past car designations where XL denoted a higher specification model.

Perhaps you could buy some stick on letters such as GT. :f_whistle:

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2021 01:07PM »
I've just looked at it and it looks like an excellent choice to me! I didn't think the branding was that obvious or intrusive and it's not the sort of thing I notice anyway, unless it's really garish, which this certainly isn't. I wouldn't have associated the XL term on the branding with the person's size either and I'm in agreement with oldtone. You can always put a sticker on it.

Don't let it put you off buying something that has the ability to make your life so much easier. 

(I would definitely go with the optional headrest too!)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2021 03:27PM »
I did wonder about the headrest! I'm so pleased that I found this one before ordering the Pride, having watched the YouTube video on how to fold this one up and open it, it's so much easier than the Pride Igo plus the YouTube video demonstrated it going around skateboarding ramps. It's very stable and manages steep slopes I'm far less worried about stability with this one and it'll handle kerbs fine. I'm not intending trying out skateboarding ramps! And this one comes with airline batteries as standard not that I think I will go abroad again but you never know. 

I think you're right in that the XL isn't obviously talking about user size. There is an XXL size which I think would be more obviously talking about size but think this one is not so obvious. I might be okay in the standard chair, they both have the same user weight of 28 stone which is considerably more than I will ever need so it's just down to comfort in the chair. I am going to order it as soon as I raid my savings which takes a few weeks because my church has just started to meet in person again and it's less than a mile away which should be easy in the chair. I haven't left the house 'on foot' in many years because I can't walk far so it will be weird being able to go somewhere from my house without the car. 

My CPN came today and I said I feel embarrassed about using a powerchair when I am physically able to walk, it's all due to the pain standing and walking causes me rather than an inability to walk. I think I will feel embarrassed about getting out of my vehicle, operating the electric hoist to get the chair out, setting it up and getting in it but I know it will enable me to go into shops and queue for checkouts or for appointments all without the pain. As the CPN said we tend to imagine the judgements in other people's heads where they may not ever be thinking things plus if they are being judgemental that says everything about them and nothing about me. I feel ridiculous worrying about what people will think of me when they first see me in a chair, I feel shame so easily. It's an overriding emotion people with Complex-PTSD have and it doesn't take much to trigger it in me.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2021 04:48PM »
I started this thread in January 2020 and I have just ordered the powerchair! I actually went for the SC-1 model with spacers as I wanted a black chair. The SC-1 is 48cm wide arm rest wise, the SC-XL is 53cm but you can get the SC-1 with spacers which make it 50cm. The SC-XL only comes in silver. Fussy, I realise! 

The demonstration was comprehensive, I took the demo chair out of the building, around the car park, up slopes, kerbs (backwards!) and through potholes and it didn't jar my spine at all. It goes up to 4mph on 4 power levels and I found the exeleration did hurt my spine so he's adjusting the motors of mine to slow down the exeleration before he sends it out to me. It will leave there tomorrow and be with me on Friday. I can go to church on Sunday! (Technically) I do need to practice though, I felt like a slow learner driver although he said that I was brilliant as a first time chair user out in the car park. I was terrified of hitting the door frames going in and out of doorways, of either catching the arm rests or my fingers resting on the joystick! It was scary using it but nevertheless feel it's going to be liberating being able to go places. I trialed the SC-XL so my chair will be 3cm narrower. I'm not sure if I feel brave enough to go to busy places as a learner driver yet, though can't anyway until I get the new vehicle with hoist. My foster Mum came with me and she suggested that I get L plates but I think a green P is more apt!

He showed me how to attach the hoist when I get the new Motability vehicle. He showed me so many methods of doing different things that I am very glad that I had the demonstration and didn't just order off the website. Getting in and out of it was pain free. Folding it up was quick and simple but involves bending so hurts but I was taught how to minimise that. Putting it up from folded involved no bending. I don't think that I could have found a better chair for my needs I'm unsure if I am brave enough to go to church this Sunday unless I somehow master using it. 

How long will it take me until I feel like I am safe driving it?!

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2021 10:29AM »
How exciting  :biggrin:
When I bought my powerchair, I too had a demo and took one out for a run! It felt really weird and is so different to driving anything else!  I understand your qualms. However,  it doesn't take long to master and you will soon be whizzing around the streets causing mayhem! 
I like the idea of P plates  :f_winkeye: 

Now I can take mine on trains and have even mastered London buses! I impressed myself that day (I had a hospital appointment) and it was so much more bearable and I was in much less pain than if I had used my manual wheelchair and crutches. I also had more energy left, which as you know, when you don't have much to start with, saving even the smallest amount is a bonus. 

Have fun exploring and having new adventures with your powerchair.  Are you going to give it a name? I'm one of these people who names everything! Even the feather duster has a name- Jonathan, if you're interested! I call my powerchair Speedy Whizz. Anyway, good luck and have loads of fun!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jun 2021 12:39AM »
I still haven't ventured out in the powerchair. I'm not feeling well currently due to stress I think so need to chill for a few days but I haven't ruled out wheeling around to church on Sunday morning if it's dry and I'm up to it. 

I've been awarded a Motability grant for the AP and hoist for the new vehicle so I am ending my current lease a month early so as to get a vehicle that can transport the chair. My new car should reach the dealership on Monday then it's just a matter of the adaptions company fitting the hoist and then I can collect it. 

I'm so excited! This is going to sound mad but I am crazy about rollercoasters but it's been many years since I have been on any because standing and walking is so painful that I couldn't manage the parks but the new chair has made me want to head straight to Alton Towers without passing go. Unfortunately my previous rollercoaster buddy whom I haven't seen in years is away for the first two weeks of July then it's school holidays and not a great time to go. I really need to find someone to go with me early July but I don't know anyone else who enjoys coasters. I will continue to think on!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: 05 Jun 2021 11:50AM »
I don't know if you will find this encouraging or not, but this morning, on Radio Two, Clare Balding went on one of her ramblings with a wheelchair user. This lady had apparently been campaigning for more accessible paths with some success. She had a fancy off road chair but said that many paths were suitable of lesser vehicles and manual chairs. She has a web site listing them if you are interested.

Rather than repeat lots of details; here is a link to the item
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wlnh

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jun 2021 02:16PM »
Oh wow how interesting. Am I allowed to listen to the radio without a TV licence? Probably not? I will search for Debbie on social media and see if I can find accessible places to go in what she writes. Thanks!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jun 2021 09:08AM »
Fiz, my understanding is that you need a TV licence to view or record currently broadcast programmes and other on I-player.

As Balding's program is on a publicly available web site and is not a current broadcast you should be ok.

This link might help.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/pay-for-your-tv-licence/index.app